Old 03-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
1998 19' Bambi
livingston , Texas
broken spindle

I have a 1998 safari I broke a bearing and it chewed up the spindle. The mechanic said i need to replace the whole axle. The axle mfg . is no longer in business and airstream's new mfg. is making a new axle and doesn't know of theirs will bolt up to my trailer.
We are stuck in Ga. Any ideas on what to do?

Old 03-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think you have to drill some new holes. I don't understand why Dexter can't put the holes in the right place for an Airstream since they are custom made axels in the first place.

Sometimes you can cut the old bearing race off the spindle and clean up the shaft with a file. You are pretty much stuck with a new axel. If you have two axels I would replace them both. You can save money by reusing our old brake hardware.

Perry

Old 03-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike 2 eat View Post
I have a 1998 safari I broke a bearing and it chewed up the spindle. The mechanic said i need to replace the whole axle. The axle mfg . is no longer in business and airstream's new mfg. is making a new axle and doesn't know of theirs will bolt up to my trailer.
We are stuck in Ga. Any ideas on what to do?
Axis Products purchased Henschen (the original Torsion axle supplier to Airstream) several years ago, however axles that fit & suit your trailer are available. Depending on how bad the spindle is marred, you may be able to clean up the bearing surface & fit a new bearing. Can you post some photos here?
Thanks,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote