Old 08-28-2004, 12:24 PM   #15
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
also

hit this site http://www.timken.com/products/bearings/ and look at tech tips.

right from the horses mouth!

john

Old 08-28-2004, 12:40 PM   #16
Site Team

, Minnesota
I usually fill them up about half way. Except on my boat trailer which has bearing buddies (and no brakes).

Old 08-28-2004, 02:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
also

hit this site http://www.timken.com/products/bearings/ and look at tech tips.

right from the horses mouth!

john
John, That's good. This site helps sort out the tales from the facts as Timken sees it. I have also been of the opinion that a lot of grease was better than some.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:59 AM   #18
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Unknown cause

I think that a major failure like that from heat would have no grease left. Wouldn't the grease have melted off way before the axle/spindle failure from heat? It takes very little grease to keep the bearings lubed.

My vote would be the torque on the bearings was too tight or there was contimanation in the bearings or the spindle/axle was not machined correctly.

And it's just a guess cause it's all over now. The Factory stood behind the repair and that's what happens in life. It's human made.

Also I would agree that the dealer has the final check in things. I am sure they have a predelivery check sheet that use in their inspections from the factory. I would hope it includes checking for evidence of grease and/or check torque on wheel bearings.

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-30-2004, 02:34 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
I might add to this discussion, you will find bearings and seals much less expensive when you purchase them from dexter. Someday price the difference between NAPA, Airstream, and Dexter. What a joke. I know have spares of everything even the seals.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:50 PM   #20
Site Team

, Minnesota
Also check Redneck Trailer supply. I bought a dozen seals (double lip spring loaded) for about $1. each.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:16 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action
I think that a major failure like that from heat would have no grease left. Wouldn't the grease have melted off way before the axle/spindle failure from heat? It takes very little grease to keep the bearings lubed.

My vote would be the torque on the bearings was too tight or there was contimanation in the bearings or the spindle/axle was not machined correctly.

And it's just a guess cause it's all over now. The Factory stood behind the repair and that's what happens in life. It's human made.

Also I would agree that the dealer has the final check in things. I am sure they have a predelivery check sheet that use in their inspections from the factory. I would hope it includes checking for evidence of grease and/or check torque on wheel bearings.

>>>>>>>>Action
Thanks for your input.

I thought that could be the case also, but when the dealer removed the front axle (which was not damaged) there was no grease. The new axle they installed did have grease. A/S came through and stood behind their product.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:40 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Had same thing happen to my 2004 bambi but my entire wheel came off 10 months after purchase while going 60 mph down the freeway. But Airstream is not going to replace mine because I did not have the bearings checked at 6 months as the maintainence schedule requires. The Airstream web site is sporting a recall notice for this problem, but they never contacted this customer.
Repair estimate for new axle and peripheral damage is $4700. If you have not had your wheel bearings checked, do it now. If there is not enough grease in the bearing, the wheel bearings WILL fail.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:40 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryan
Had same thing happen to my 2004 bambi but my entire wheel came off 10 months after purchase while going 60 mph down the freeway. But Airstream is not going to replace mine because I did not have the bearings checked at 6 months as the maintainence schedule requires. The Airstream web site is sporting a recall notice for this problem, but they never contacted this customer.
Repair estimate for new axle and peripheral damage is $4700. If you have not had your wheel bearings checked, do it now. If there is not enough grease in the bearing, the wheel bearings WILL fail.
I am sorry to hear this. How many miles are on this trailer at the time of this incident?
Old 07-03-2005, 10:27 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Not really sure about the mileage exactly because I did not keep mileage records. I can definitely document more than 7500, but as for an upper limit, just not sure. The manual says to have it done at 6 months or 10,000 miles and I could have been in that 10,000 range, maybe a little higher but really not sure. It was definitely NOT close to 20,000. The man repairing it told me it should have gone over that 10,000 limit anyway if it had been properly greased to start with, but Airstream says since I did not have it inspected at 6 months, it's my fault. I had bought that "extended warranty" too, but that a mistake I'll never make again... Live and learn.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:24 AM   #25
BDBLUEGRASS

1975 31' Sovereign
HEBER SPRINGS , Arkansas
I Just Changed Both Axles On My 75 31ft Sovereign Preparing For A Trip From Central Arkansas To The Dakotas In Sept Guess I Better Go Start Pulling Hubs Altho The Hubs Spun Freely I Just Assumed They Were Road Worthy Has Anyone Had Trouble With Replacement Axles? Thanks For The Info Billy
Old 07-03-2005, 11:52 AM   #26
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
If you are uncertian about your replacements - repack the bearings. we also replaced an axle and it came with "defective" red grease in the bearings. We were not notified of a problem with the grease but, rather discouvered it on this forum. There was no harm done and the new axle is wonderful.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 10:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryan
Was the serial number of your trailer one of those that was supposed to be recalled? If it was and you were not notified, then it would seem you have a case to make.

In any case, I'm not sure how Airstream determined which units to include in the recall becasue my trailer was built a short time before the recalled serial numbers, and mine left the factory with almost no grease in the bearings. I was told in June 2004 by several Airstream managers that they never checked any trailers for bearing grease before trailers left the factory!

John