Old 07-27-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Bizzare axle news....

I was at my local Airstream dealer today looking over a used trailer he got in and shooting the breeze with him.
Somehow we got on the subject of replacing axles when he informed me that Airstream will no longer be using Henschen alxes.
I asked him if he was certain and he says that came right from his contact at Airstream.
Has anyone else heard this?
I find it hard to believe considering the long relationship they both have shared.
What could be the reason?

Old 07-27-2005, 07:24 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
That's odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
I was at my local Airstream dealer today looking over a used trailer he got in and shooting the breeze with him.
Somehow we got on the subject of replacing axles when he informed me that Airstream will no longer be using Henschen alxes.
I asked him if he was certain and he says that came right from his contact at Airstream.
Has anyone else heard this?
I find it hard to believe considering the long relationship they both have shared.
What could be the reason?
Did your friendly dealer tell you what Airstream plans to put under their coaches? It will be difficult to tow them without any...

Old 07-27-2005, 07:28 PM   #3
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
That's where they get the AIR in AIRSTREAM.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:29 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
That's where they get the AIR in AIRSTREAM.
Maybe they took my helium suspension system idea too seriously...
Old 07-27-2005, 07:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I had heard they were going to use Dexter. But I like Terry's idea better!
You can fill axle tubes made of unobtainium with helium! It would, quite literally, float down the road!
Old 07-27-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

I've checked Dexter torsion axle prices locally at a Dexter axle manufacturer/dealer, much cheaper than Henschen. My Sob had Dexter axles on it, parts are readily available and cheap.

Lowell

Robert Louis Stevenson
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:46 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I believe it has something to do with the red grease recall, and damage reimbursement, but that is just some scuttlebutt I heard.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:11 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Red Grease????

Could be Mobil 1 grease, that has a tendency to "bleed out". I repacked mine with Amsoil Synthetic grease, which is red, and they seem fine, no adverse effects. I think Pennzoil had a red colored grease at one time too.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellN
I've checked Dexter torsion axle prices locally at a Dexter axle manufacturer/dealer, much cheaper than Henschen. My Sob had Dexter axles on it, parts are readily available and cheap.

Lowell
Lowell,
Dexter stuff is everywhere! That is why I like them.
I will let you know how my Axis axle does. It was about $100-150 less than the Dexter. For that price I will guinea pig it!
Also, it will take four Axis axles to equal the price of one Henschen. That means if I get 6.5 years out of my Axis axle I will break even. I am pretty sure I will get more than that out of it.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:22 PM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
Could be Mobil 1 grease, that has a tendency to "bleed out". I repacked mine with Amsoil Synthetic grease, which is red, and they seem fine, no adverse effects. I think Pennzoil had a red colored grease at one time too.
There was a bunch of axles from henchen that came from the factory on new trailers (2001 IIIRC)with red grease loaded in the bearings. The grease was not up to the task as it was not actually bearing grease and bearings seized, wheels came off, damage was caused. The recall was to have the wheels pulled and checked, if the wrong grease was loaded, it was changed at no charge to the owner.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 07-27-2005, 08:42 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Thumbs down Fuchs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick

Fuchs also makes red grease. This is one of the premium non-synthetic greases on the market. Not the cheapest but excellent characteristics for grease. Some folks may not know that specification sheets are available for grease, if requested. Two key factors when selecting grease are “temperature” (what temperature the grease will begin to break down at) and “bleed-out” (changing from a semi solid to a liquid). I don’t want folks believing all red greases are bad, just as Pick mentioned, several good ones exist. I guess you could say “Don’t judge a grease by its color”!

Regards,

Henry
Old 07-27-2005, 10:35 PM   #12
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Lets' hope they are great axles, whatever they are!
Old 07-27-2005, 10:51 PM   #13
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
Fuchs also makes red grease. This is one of the premium non-synthetic greases on the market. Not the cheapest but excellent characteristics for grease. I don’t want folks believing all red greases are bad, just as Pick mentioned, several good ones exist. I guess you could say “Don’t judge a grease by its color”!
As I said it was scuttlebutt, but the indicator that I was aware of that the wrong grease was loaded was the color. I would never assume ALL red grease is wrong just because it is red. My recommendation is when in doubt change it out with a known bearing grease that is rated for the application.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 07-28-2005, 12:46 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
I used orange hi-temp grease when I repacked the trailer bearings. It is very sticky and does not bleed out.
Chuck