Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2005, 12:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Bizarre Axle?

I am considering the purchase of a 1966 Safari. While inspecting the axle, I am confused by two flat bars, one on each end near the wheels. These flat bars are about an inch wide and they sweep down from the square axle toward the pavement at about a 45% angle - angling toward the back of the trailer. The bars are not welded on but are attached to the square axle housing by a U bracket and two bolts. They have a little crook in the end of the bar, like a letter j. The end of the bars float just about 3 inches above the pavement! I swear these look original, but cannot imagine what their purpose would be. Mine sweepers? Tumbleweed catchers? I have looked at numerous postings concerning dura-torque axles and nobody else has these odd looking bars. Thanks for helping a newbie.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 12:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Thumbs up Picture

How about a picture?

It is not the shock mount that you are describing is it?

Regards,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman
I am considering the purchase of a 1966 Safari. While inspecting the axle, I am confused by two flat bars, one on each end near the wheels. These flat bars are about an inch wide and they sweep down from the square axle toward the pavement at about a 45% angle - angling toward the back of the trailer. The bars are not welded on but are attached to the square axle housing by a U bracket and two bolts. They have a little crook in the end of the bar, like a letter j. The end of the bars float just about 3 inches above the pavement! I swear these look original, but cannot imagine what their purpose would be. Mine sweepers? Tumbleweed catchers? I have looked at numerous postings concerning dura-torque axles and nobody else has these odd looking bars. Thanks for helping a newbie.
Could they be a skid plate in the event of a flat tire?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:13 PM   #4
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Cool 'J' bars ...

When we have heavy rains near the sea shore here in Florida (Texas too!) and get higher than normal water levels on the roads ... you can attach a seine net and drag for shrimp.

... on the other hand ... you can send a picture, but I can assure you that you will want to remove them.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
They are there so you don't damage your coach's skin if you have a blow out. We have them. I don't even know if this is safe or not, but that's what they're there for, so I have been told by the AS dealer I bought ours from last year.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:23 PM   #6
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Unhappy Fishing for trouble ...

Sure seems to me it is a little risky to have a bar with a hook below.

Some of the places I take my Airstream it would surely grab some tree root or something & 'Twang' me right back! Even with hooks aimed upwards.

I suppose from a design engineer with time on his hands, it is an interesting concept.

Sure would like to see a pix or two or three.
NORM #3305

... if you're handy ...
Old 07-21-2005, 02:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Wkerfoot

Ayrstrm2

That metal plate near the edge of the frame, mounted on the axle tube, is called a "skid plate".

It was designed to protect the wheel from dragging the pavement should a blow out occur.

There are probably as many bad stories about it's effectiveness as there are good stories.

By today's standards, they are no longer used.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:58 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Post Thanks

I was going to post a picture, but it seems that Andy at Inland RV Center has nailed it once again. And this makes sense now that I am imagining a blow out or axle failure. These would skid (or dig in) to whatever surface one happened to be driving over at the time of failure. I guess there is no risk in leaving them on. Now I can stop fixating on those and concentrate on the 99 other things to obsess over in making a purchase decision. THANKS for the speedy responses everyone.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:01 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Pics

Driftwood - I have snapped a picture of this. Since you expressed an interest in seeing what these skid plates look like, I will put it up. It is on my home computer so I will post it later on.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:32 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Link to skid plate pic

I could not figure out how to insert the picture here so I put it up at this site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swilson/

Sorry about the crooked pic - I was shoving the camera under the trailer to get this and couldn't see what I was doing.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:36 PM   #11
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Here is the standard tutorial on picture posting:

Click on reply and scroll down to bottom of text box.

Click "go advanced" add text to message window and then scroll down.

Click "Manage attachments" A seperate window will pop up.

Click "browse" Then select the file to be uploaded. Be sure that the photo is appropriately sized. 400 x 600 pixels (or smaller) and no more than 100 Kilo bytes. You may select several photos to upload at the same time by repeating the last step.

Click "Upload" After pics have loaded close the pop-up window

Click "submit reply" to mount the text of your message - photos will automatically appear in post

Good luck with your project.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:45 PM   #12
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Talking You-Da-Man!

macman,

I applaud your efforts and sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post the picture. I had never seen one before.

Good luck on your evaluation of the '66. When I located my '65 last April I knew I was going to buy it, but took slightly over four (4) hours inspecting it from top to bottom to inside & out - each item to fully comprehend exactly what I was putting my arms around.

My greatest pre-purchase requirement was to determine that all the small stuff, window cranks/closure latches, cabinet latches, vents, door locks, all the items that would have been difficult or impossible to source; were there and in working condition. Took apart beds, removed drawers & inspected behind and under, etc., etc. Also insured that the body/shell was in great condition.

Large items like reefers, AC units, axles, etc. can be had anywhere and were not to be a determining factor for me.

I was fortunate and got it all with the one I bought - small stuff & large. At this point I have exceeded 50 hours in cleaning alone and have yet to finish! Fortunately I am not usurping my time trying to locate obsolete parts.

Email me anytime if I can personally be of asistance.
NORM #3305

... if you're handy ...
Old 07-22-2005, 08:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Hey, Macman, that coach isn't in bad shape. The AC in is in a funky place but it LOOKS good. Here's the best thing you can do: Open the access hatch in the back, stick your and in and feel the plywood right up agains the skin. Is it soft? Is it even still there? can you slide your finger between the shell and the floor in any place? If not, then I'd say that rig's a keeper. don't pay much more than about $3000 for it.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 12:02 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Back access panel

AYSTRM - I did as you suggested, but did not have to stick my hand in at all to discover that the plywood under the toilet is rotten. I did the icepick test in every possible location from inside the trailer and only found a very small (3 inches) problem along the back wall of the tall closet by the stove. But the flooring under the toilet is a different story. I know this is now off of the thread topic, but wanted to respond to AYSTRMs suggestion.