Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Just to go back to the main question, does some one produce bolt on shock brackets?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
Just to go back to the main question, does some one produce bolt on shock brackets?
No.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
Not entirely true. I bought Dexters from Carolina Wheel and Rim in Charleston, SC. I think they built the axles in Atlanta. The guy called them after I had placed the order, they said that they had the pattern for the Airstream shock mounts, and they welded them on for free when they built the axles.
Not sure when you got your axles, but I got my info from Redneck trailer( a Dexter axle dealer), Toscano RV( an airstream dealer), and Inland RV( an airstream dealer), as of beginning of 2012, Dexter no longer welds shock brackets on their axles. If you have current info, I would like to hear about it, would save me and others the cost of welding brackets from old to new axles.
Thank you,
Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Quote:
I have not heard of any, but maybe someone has. Anybody??
Old 11-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixter View Post
Looking for some direction...
I dont want to do any of that if I can help it. Looking for a direct replacement that I can bolt on and go. Is there anything sold ready to go?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Micky
If you couldn't guess...there is a big dust bowl over Airstream replacement axles...
As best I can tell...(with some experience here)
Henshen made you'r axle and they are out of business...
Axis bought their stuff, got bought out by a bigger company and will make a replacement axle
Dexter got the Airstream OEM business several years back and they have hundreds of sales points but none of them let you walk up and say 'I want an axle for my XXX Airstream...' without some measuring

Any of them will install shock brackets if you wade thru the muck and figure out the 'code'

Driilin' out a hole is one of the smallest details but a huge sales detail...

Why would anyone buy 12,000 lbs brakes for a 4,000lb trailer? anything over (12V*4000/12000=) 4 volts (33% of your controller resolution) on the brake controller will lock up... (ask a trucker what they have to do for an empty trailer to keep the tires from smokin' flat spots)
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Well said HiHo!!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:40 AM   #27
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
No, they are all weld-on, or already welded on.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
Not sure when you got your axles, but I got my info from Redneck trailer( a Dexter axle dealer), Toscano RV( an airstream dealer), and Inland RV( an airstream dealer), as of beginning of 2012, Dexter no longer welds shock brackets on their axles. If you have current info, I would like to hear about it, would save me and others the cost of welding brackets from old to new axles.
Thank you,
We supply new shock brackets for the Dexter axles.

Andy
Old 11-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
If you couldn't guess...there is a big dust bowl over Airstream replacement axles...

Why would anyone buy 12,000 lbs brakes for a 4,000lb trailer? anything over (12V*4000/12000=) 4 volts (33% of your controller resolution) on the brake controller will lock up... (ask a trucker what they have to do for an empty trailer to keep the tires from smokin' flat spots)
Why 12000 pound brakes?

Take your 4000 pound trailer.

Add to it the weight of your tow vehicle and it's payload to that.

Then have the tow vehicle brakes fail, as they can do.

Then please tell us how you would safely stop that rig with out of adjusment 10 inch brakes.

Keep in mind, when electric brakes are out of adjustment, their stopping power decreases.

So now we have at least 9000 pounds that out of adjustment 10 inch brakes are asked to stop.

NOT A CHANCE.

Andy
Old 11-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB
Not entirely true. I bought Dexters from Carolina Wheel and Rim in Charleston, SC. I think they built the axles in Atlanta. The guy called them after I had placed the order, they said that they had the pattern for the Airstream shock mounts, and they welded them on for free when they built the axles.
Thank you,
Thank you,

It was about a year ago.. The place (link) is home - Carolina Rim & Wheel in Charleston, SC.
You can probably call them and have them call the factory to see if they still have and/or will weld on the Airstream shock brackets.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
My info is from last week, when Dexter was contacted by a dealer. Also, Dexter was recently sold, which may further change their way of doing business. Airstream after market axles may be a very small portion of their overall business. Anyone talk to an Axis dealer lately? Maybe they still include the brackets in manufacturing process??
Old 11-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
My axels, Axis, came thru Colin 2 wks ago. They came with shock mounts but I had to bore out for the axel mounting holes. Also the new axels were 3/8" wider then the old and the notch had to be ground larger with a small angle grinder.
Enlarging notch took obout 10 mins ea (2 axels). Boring the 8 mounting holes was about 10 mins ea.
Paul
tarnished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Why 12000 pound brakes?

Take your 4000 pound trailer.

Add to it the weight of your tow vehicle and it's payload to that.

Then have the tow vehicle brakes fail, as they can do.

Then please tell us how you would safely stop that rig with out of adjusment 10 inch brakes.

Keep in mind, when electric brakes are out of adjustment, their stopping power decreases.

So now we have at least 9000 pounds that out of adjustment 10 inch brakes are asked to stop.

NOT A CHANCE.

Andy
I think you are missing some of the over riding facts. Using your logic, I could take a 200 lb utility trailer, install 40,200 lb brakes and hitch it to a 40,000 lb runaway semi tractor for a safe stop. It won't work like that. The little light weight trailer is only capable of effecting 200 lbs X the coefficient of tire friction as stopping force. Anything beyond that will result in tire lockup. Accepted ranges of Coefficients of Friction are in the range of .4 to .7 (Friction and Automobile Tires)

The truck will beable to generate 40,000X.7 = 28,000lbf of stopping power max

The little trailer...140 lbf

Like wise, a 4000 lb Airstream with 12,000 lb brakes behind a 8000 lb truck is limited by the weight of the Airstream and it's tire coefficient of friction.
12000 lb combo = 8,400 lbf of combined stopping power
8000 lb truck = 5,600 lbf
4000 lb Airstream = 2,800 lbf.

The poor little airstream is limited to 1/3 of the total stopping force no matter how much oversized the brakes are. Crank them up any more and the tires lock, stopping forces go downward and it gets even messier (I have a funny story about 2 race drivers, one lost his brakes, the other's steering wheel came off. at least the guy with no brakes could control what he hit!)

Over spec'ing the brakes in the extreme has the down side of limiting the controller adjustment range and arguably causing an unsafe condition where the trailer brakes lock up causing loss of control.

This truly is a case of the myth 'bigger is better' is not true

I do agree that once the owner fails to maintain any part of the system, vehicle or trailer, risks increase.

I've over taxed my brain...headache
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The odds of the TV's brakes failing are pretty slim. Unless the driver has abused them. For example; riding the brakes when going down hill.
Most modern TV's have disk brakes, at least in the front.
If the trailer brakes are working in riding the brakes situation above. The trailer brakes would have failed, due to overheating, long before the TV brakes.
The idea that somehow the trailer brakes are a backup brake system for the TV brake system is outrageous.
If you have to depend on the trailer brakes alone to stop, you are in trouble.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnished View Post
My axels, Axis, came thru Colin 2 wks ago. They came with shock mounts but I had to bore out for the axel mounting holes. Also the new axels were 3/8" wider then the old and the notch had to be ground larger with a small angle grinder.
Enlarging notch took obout 10 mins ea (2 axels). Boring the 8 mounting holes was about 10 mins ea.
Paul
Ok. So you are in Virginia. Who handles Axis orders on the west coast??
Old 11-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #36
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
all Axis Airstream axles are sold through Colin. He is the nation rep for Airstream axels.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
Ok. So you are in Virginia. Who handles Axis orders on the west coast??
They are drop shipped from the factory to either your home (increased cost) to a commercial address (much cheaper) once you place your order with Colin.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post

Trailer electric brakes, are very sensitive to adjustment.

Brand new regular 12 inch brakes on brand new hub and drums, on a 31 foot Airstream, will not lock up until you get to at least 10 volts, at the brake magnet.

A lock up brake issue depends very much on the weight imposed on the wheel. Light weight, easy lock up, heavy weight, much more difficult to lock up.

Regular trailer electric brakes, are rarely, if ever, adjusted. Their stopping power or ability decreases as the lining wears.

That issue will hopefully in time, resolve itself, as "self adjusting" trailer electric brakes are now available. They cost a little more, but the out of adjustment issue, with the self adjusters, is history.

Safety,with the 12 inch electric brakes, is the "real' issue. Airstream installed them on smaller trailers, so that considerable stopping power was available, "if needed". Of course that is assuming, that the brakes were adjusted, as they should be, every 10,000 miles, at the time of a "major brake".

We all know that electric brakes fade, as they get hot. 10 inch brakes stopping a given load, will get much hotter than 12 inch brakes.

Some people say "no", because the lining surface is almost the same.

However, a 12 inch drum can dissipate heat much faster than a 10 inch drum. Therefore the fading issue would take much longer to show up on the 12's compared to the 10's.

Safety is something that all of us enjoy everyday, with may things. Safety in 12 inch brakes, obviously is much greater than with 10 inch brakes, for several reasons.

For those that disagree, use both with the same weight and see the difference, in the stopping distance and in the heat generated by the brake lining.

Airstream, has indeed mad mistakes, and that will continue since they are a huge innovator in RVing.

But most folks agree, Airstream ring the "SAFETY BELL" loud and clear.

Down sizing trailer brakes, considering "safety" is hang one foot way over the cliff.

If down sizing brakes is OK, the perhaps we should down size tires as well, since they are cheaper too. Instead of 6 or 8 ply, try on 4 ply. They are cheaper, but, most of us know and well understand, that doing that is begging for trouble, BIG TIME.

Practicing safety, when RVing,is a motto that everyone should practice. For that matter, simply practicing safety in our daily life's, quite well would prolong someones as well as their families life.

It may cost a little more, but the rewards are enormous.

Happy "T" day to everyone.

Andy
Old 11-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
It pays to have the larger brakes, especially when in this case it doesn't cost much more.
I used to build equipment trailers and I would put two 8,000# axles on a trailer that I only rated at 14,000#. The reason was that the 8,000# axles came with oil bearings and much wider brakes than the 7,000# axles. The price wasn't that much more, but the safety factor was well worth the cost. Besides, many folks would put more weight on the trailers and I made them to last. Even the frame would take over the 16,000# load, but I still rated them for less.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote