Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Angry Bent Axle?

We replaced the axles on our 72 31 foot Sov. And now it is "eating" the left rear tire! (noticed before the trip last weekend and while changing the FLAT in a parking lot) The tires were purchased new in the spring of 08 and balanced soon after. ( still cant believe that argument with the sales person " trailer tires don't need to be balanced") Any way after replacing the axles with "OEM" equipment now it is wearing tires badly! I am curious as what to expect to pay for an alignment? I have not had to have a trailer done before and have not even started looking for a place to do it yet. I just would like to know a ball park figure before I go. Has any one ever been shipped "out of alignment" axles may be I should call Inland and see what they think? (could not hurt right) Maybe Monday after the holiday.

Thanks Mike
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Contact sempi2 he just had one straightened. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I would call Andy straight away, no delay.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by memgrove2000 View Post
We replaced the axles on our 72 31 foot Sov. And now it is "eating" the left rear tire! (noticed before the trip last weekend and while changing the FLAT in a parking lot) The tires were purchased new in the spring of 08 and balanced soon after. ( still cant believe that argument with the sales person " trailer tires don't need to be balanced") Any way after replacing the axles with "OEM" equipment now it is wearing tires badly! I am curious as what to expect to pay for an alignment? I have not had to have a trailer done before and have not even started looking for a place to do it yet. I just would like to know a ball park figure before I go. Has any one ever been shipped "out of alignment" axles may be I should call Inland and see what they think? (could not hurt right) Maybe Monday after the holiday.

Thanks Mike
Mike.

Prior to being painted, all the Henschen axles are aligned automatically.

Freight lines can sometimes do strange things to most anything. There is no real way to tell.

Your not that far from JC.

I would suggest that you make an appointment with them to check the axles.

Should there be a defect of anykind, Henschen is around the corner from Airstream, and would quickly take care of the problem.

While your at it, have the wheels checked as well, to make sure their within specs.

Please keep me posted.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Mike you do not describe the tire wear, nor is there a pic to look at. Different types of issues cause different wear patterns.

Possible issues;
Out of balance tire/wheel asembly
Bent wheel rim(s)
Improper installation of the axle
Axle assembly bent or not inline fom side to side
Multiple axles not lined up with each other

How the tire meets the road and reacts to the road irregularities will make a difference wear.

Action
Old 07-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Hello Andy,
I did not expect you to be here over the holiday weekend. But thanks all the same. Don't take this the wrong way But Jackson center IS a long way from here when you are in my shoes. 185 miles one way, 3+ hours( drive time not the issue) , possible flat tire again, NO JOB TO PAY FOR IT ANY WAY. So Yes Jackson Center is A bit far for me right now. ( I know it is not your fault I am just saying). I am looking for a local shop that does trailer alignments (just had not started before I posted the how much to expect to pay question). Today I see in the phone book and Internet there are several options in the area (just not open today).

Why couldn't I have them checked and fixed locally. I do live in the RV capital of the world, I also know that airstreams ARE different. But we are talking about tire and axle alignment. Don't the dura torque type axles align the same? ( all tires must be in alignment on sob's too)

If there were a production problem wouldn't Henschen honor warranty repairs any where? ( they put those axles on everything not just airstreams) If they were found defective here would they pay for the repair.

You might not remember but We did have a shipping damage problem with ours ( the factory had to send us two new grease caps) But I would think that would not have affected the alignment of an axle.

I am just trying to keep all of my options open at this point.

Thanks Mike
Happy Fourth!
Old 07-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Mike you do not describe the tire wear, nor is there a pic to look at. Different types of issues cause different wear patterns.

Possible issues;
Out of balance tire/wheel asembly
Bent wheel rim(s)
Improper installation of the axle
Axle assembly bent or not inline fom side to side
Multiple axles not lined up with each other

How the tire meets the road and reacts to the road irregularities will make a difference wear.

Action

Action, Darn fine Idea! I think I will run over to the AS and get the Flat tire out of the carrier and shoot some pictures. Might take along a 8 foot bulb too. thanks for the idea Mike
Old 07-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
tire pictures

Here are some tire pictures of the flat one. There was a rock in it that punctured it but look at the tread ware pattern.

The bulb does not touch the front of EITHER tire, I know this is not a proper tool but it should give us a generall idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1701.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	83372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1699.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	83373  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1703.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	83374   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1702.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	83375  

Old 07-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yep, bent or out of line axel I think.. Our friends SOB has the same problem, Wasn't cost effective from them to get them fixed. Cost more than the trailer was worth. They figured it was cheaper to buy a new tire when needed.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Take some string and do a measurement. What follows will check the toe in measurement.

Measure the string from the front outer edge of the left and right side. Then measure the same tires on the rear outer edge. This is a bit rough however the front of the tires may be ever so slightly (1/8") toed in or pointed in from the rear of the same tires.

Do this for both axle set. The rear axle set should be the same as the front ale set. If not then you are looking for a condition that may be a bent axle.

The above does not check for misaligned axle as in one that was mis-installed, or out of balance tire/wheels.

Action
Old 07-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The wear s that on the insdie of the tire or outside?

Do you know what a feathered edge on the tires? If so that is an indication of incorrect toe in.

The pics above appear to be a camber issue. If that wear is consistant all around the tire then it rules out a bent rim. A camber issue for this type of axle can only be repaired with an adjustment - this assumes the axle is installed and centered correctly on the trailer.

Action
Old 07-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Worn out on the outside, Picture on the top right shows a spot that is worse than the rest of the tire ( the guy that balanced the tires had to use a LOT of weight to get it "close")

We bolted the axles in the same spot as the originals. But did no other checks as I was under the impression with these axles they would be a direct replacement.

Still would like to know an Aprox price for an alighment?
Old 07-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #13
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I suggest you try to align it first yourself. Take the tires off and tie a stiff string to the jack. Pull it back and see if the hub centers are different. You might then loosen the bolts and center the axle. Even a slight shift could be a huge difference. This is exactly what those shops will do.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I am wondering....

I'm wondering if you all are not reading more into an alignment problem. If you look at a good (new) axle you will see an apparent bend in it. Thats the way its built and supposed to be that way. I hope your not changing an axle just because you see a slight curvature there.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Frank,
Thanks for looking in. If I pull the left side of the axle back it would straighten out the left side tire, but then wouldent it throw out the right side tire?
Old 07-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
[quote=Melody Ranch;717523]I'm wondering if you all are not reading more into an alignment problem. If you look at a good (new) axle you will see an apparent bend in it. Thats the way its built and supposed to be that way. I hope your not changing an axle just because you see a slight curvature.

Nope not looking at the curve... Looking at the tire tread pattern. it is eating one tire Really fast. See the picture. that tire looked new aprox 700 miles ago. Mike
Old 07-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
the hub centers should be the same distance from the the jack stand. it is possible the bolts shifted the axle crooked. is it just the one tire? if so, your hub might be be bent or the spindle. I am willing to bet that the problem is the axle is not perpendicular to the frame and you are dragging one wheel slightly.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Sorry for the delay I had to clean up a fingernail polish spill in the bedroom (if we were camping the girls would have been outside painting their nails)

Ok so when I get the trailer back here ( it lives 2.5 miles away) I will get it in the air then get the tires off and measure from the TOUNGUE jack to the centers of the hubs. I was confused about what jack then it came to me (from another thread read a while ago). I will start there and see how close the axles are.

And yes it is just the one tire.

PS mineral spirits will not make a carpet shampooer blow up like my wife suggests!
Old 07-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
I replaced 2 axles on my Argosy and noticed one tire wearing. I measured jack to front tires, they were the same. I measured front tire to back tire with a caliper and one side was further apart. I reamed out the mounting holes and moved the one tire ( the one that was wearing) forward about 1/4". All is well now, no tire wearing.
The axle has enough give to move one side that small amount without changing the other side.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #20
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Looks like you have 2 issues.

1st issue; Out of balance tire/rim. This is what is causing the uneven wear. Lots of weight to fix it, means the tire needs to be rotated on the rim because the heavy spot of the tire and wheel are in the same location. OR you have a bent rim or tire tread mis-aligned to the carcas.

Second issue; outside tire wear caused by one or two alignment angles that are incorrect. Toe in and/or camber. This would be an adjustment for one side only.

Frankly I would fix the out of balance issue first and replace the tire. Then continue to monitor all tires for abnormal wear.

The order of likely issues, from most common to least;
Out of balance tire/rims
Bent rim
Toe in incorrect because of road hazard
Axle manufactured with incorrect toe in
Axle manufactured with incorrect camber

Work from most likley to least likely until you take the tariler to a shop.

Prices for shop work will vary on location in the country. Phoenix metro will likley be $50 to check and $100 to $500 to make adjustments (bend the axle with correct equipment) as needed. It will be time and material if the shop is doing just loosening up the assembly and making a slight movement. An adjustment would be the absolute last step.

Action

Tags
axle