Old 07-26-2007, 07:45 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
I infer from your response that they were purchased from you. The reason I ask is that I am considering replacing my axles, but the cost of your Henschens is quite high you must admit. It was not too many years ago that dealer cost on the henschens was in the 400-500 dollar range. Prices go up, and I am not trying to accuse anybody of anything. Don't misunderstand. It's just that given the cost of the axles, plus shipping to the east coast, I have to consider other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
He used Henschen axles.

Direct bolt in.

Andy

Old 07-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #16
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by drag'nwagon
hey Smoky,

. . Check out the "axle replacement part I and part II, not sure which one I posted the balanced drums on. The new drums were out 7 ounces. I had them precision balanced to 1/4oz-in. .
Dave, may I ask how you corrected the drum that was off that much?
And a follow up question: how much out would they be before you send them back to the dealer?

I'm asking because I balanced two 12" Dexter drums. They were less than 1.5 oz out of balance.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiesel
I infer from your response that they were purchased from you. The reason I ask is that I am considering replacing my axles, but the cost of your Henschens is quite high you must admit. It was not too many years ago that dealer cost on the henschens was in the 400-500 dollar range. Prices go up, and I am not trying to accuse anybody of anything. Don't misunderstand. It's just that given the cost of the axles, plus shipping to the east coast, I have to consider other options.
Your absolutely right.

In my 1986 parts book, that was revised on October 31, 1986, the price of a complete 3200 pound axle from Airstream was $604.04.

That was 20 years ago.

Andy in 1989, that same axle from Airstream cost $777.36.

Even coffee costs more today than 20 years ago.

Today, from Airstream. they are in excess of $1000.00.

Axles would be shipped to you from Ohio, not California, thereby minimizing freight. Or, you can go directly to Henschen and pick them up.

Henschen axles, since they changed the mounting bracket in 1969 at Airstream's request, are direct bolt in. No specs, no engineering needed on your part.

All you need to supply is the trailer serial number.

Granted from 1968 and older, 3 each 1/2 holes must be drilled on each side of the axle. Thats not a difficult task. Also from 1968 and older, the shock brackets are shipped loose, so that you can have them installed to fit your trailer. Why? There is a huge difference in the wheel well and shock stud spacing, between Ohio and Califonia trailers, and from year to year starting in 1961 and ending in 1968.

Dexter axles are fine, but unless you do a lot of re-engineering with them, you will wind up with 10 inch brakes for a 31 foot trailer and/or a small spindle.

Airstream, for most part, has increased their parts prices almost 5 percent accross the board, for several years running.

Gosh, I remember a friend of mine, stating some 40 years ago, that "when the price of Airstream trailers hits $10,000.00, (ten thousand dollars)" they will go out of business.

Ah yes, those were the good ole days.

How nice it would be, if you could buy "ANY" Airstream trailer for $10,000.00.
Don't hold your breath.

Likewise, parts prices have increased as well, much to the dismay of all of us.

Andy
Old 07-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
And a follow up question: how much out would they be before you send them back to the dealer?

I'm asking because I balanced two 12" Dexter drums. They were less than 1.5 oz out of balance.
We checked over 20 Henschen supplied hub and drums, and found the worse one to be 2 ounces out of balance.

Years ago, one pound or more, was normal.

Andy
Old 07-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #19
calitrotter

Currently Looking...
Berkeley , California
axle welded to frame?

I recently had my axles (with bearings and brakes) replaced by a local reputable shop.
they ordered an axle from dexter after they measured my axle.
i supplied the "napa" shocks.
when i got my trailer back i noticed that the axle was not bolted on, as i would have expected, but welded to the frame.
I have towed it over a thousand miles since, with no problems. the brakes work well.
I am not sure how i feel about the welding versus bolting.
it seems like i should have been consulted and perhaps the future value may be reduced by this..
i would like to approach the shop with my concern, but what would i get out of it?? the "damage" is done.. unless it is not a big deal..
i'm not sure, that's why i am putting it out here.
i am not thrilled. it tows well, but what if i want to take it off?
it will probably outlive me anyway.

any thoughts?
2001 Buell X1 Lightning
2002 Isuzu Axiom 4x2
1963gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963gt
I recently had my axles (with bearings and brakes) replaced by a local reputable shop.
they ordered an axle from dexter after they measured my axle.
i supplied the "napa" shocks.
when i got my trailer back i noticed that the axle was not bolted on, as i would have expected, but welded to the frame.
I have towed it over a thousand miles since, with no problems. the brakes work well.
I am not sure how i feel about the welding versus bolting.
it seems like i should have been consulted and perhaps the future value may be reduced by this..
i would like to approach the shop with my concern, but what would i get out of it?? the "damage" is done.. unless it is not a big deal..
i'm not sure, that's why i am putting it out here.
i am not thrilled. it tows well, but what if i want to take it off?
it will probably outlive me anyway.

any thoughts?
Airstream last welded axles in place in 1961.

Welds can and do crack, especially from vibration.

I would suggest that you take the trailer back to the installing dealer, and make them add two grade 8, 5/8 bolts on each side, or three grade 8, 1/2 bolts.

In that way, should the welds fail for any reason, the bolts will hold in place.

Frankly, welding an axle in place, I would consider less than poor workmanship.

Andy
Old 07-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiesel
Airstream is using Dexter now, for about the last three years, I would give them a call. In addition to being the largest supplier of Torsion axles in the USA - they also have 300 service centers. Additionally, they would charge around $500 per axle and shipping would be minimized due to one of the 300 service centers being close to you!

Smiles,
Henry
Old 07-26-2007, 08:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane

Markdoan,

All the of the drums were way out there (all were more than 5.5 oz.) the worst of the four was actually more than 7 ounces out. I utilized a vendor of mine that does high speed dynamic balancing for me, and they poured lead into the pockets on the face of the drum and then overfilled them with epoxi. You can see my pictures on "Axle replacement I" and also on II. I really could not send them back due to time and distance not to mention I really needed them in the trailor so we could camp. I have not as of yet recieved any apology from the dealer or manufacturer for the inconvenience and added cost to make them right. I had planned on getting them precision balanced anyway for my own piece of mind so I guess the cost is no hudge deal, but I would like to know what the manufactureing spec is on the print, and of course if QC checked them how did they get out the door?

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
Airstream is using Dexter now, for about the last three years, I would give them a call. In addition to being the largest supplier of Torsion axles in the USA - they also have 300 service centers. Additionally, they would charge around $500 per axle and shipping would be minimized due to one of the 300 service centers being close to you!

Smiles,
Henry
Documentation of those statements would be nice.

Andy
Old 07-26-2007, 10:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Quote:
The new drums were out 7 ounces.
I have not really followed your other threads so this probably is an obvious answer to the following question:
Where in the WORLD did you get new drums that were THAT far out of balance?
You would think NEW drums would be a heck of a lot closer than that!
Old 07-27-2007, 07:00 AM   #25
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
. . I have not as of yet received any apology from the dealer or manufacturer for the inconvenience and added cost to make them right. .
Dave,

I'm just seeing red .

Why would someone like you, who obviously cares a lot about his equipment, be stuck with someones junky seconds.

They should have been sent to someone who doesn't care about running gear balance.

Good job getting them fixed.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:23 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Oop's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Documentation of those statements would be nice.

Andy
Andy,

Maybe you were asking about the Dexter Service Centers/Distributers, in that case, simply go to:

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - HOME

Smiles,
Henry
Old 07-27-2007, 09:12 AM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Bashing usually comes from people that are "PERFECT," or at least they feel they are.

Since I am a long way away from being perfect, I wonder what that feeling is like?

My friends don't feel their perfect, so I can't ask them.

And certainly, without a doubt, my family is a loooooong way from being perfect, so I can't ask any of them either.

I have a Doctor's appointment this morning, maybe he will know.

Andy
Old 07-27-2007, 09:37 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Lou and Markdoan,

I was pretty shocked as well that they were out that far. I have read a lot about running gear balance and have listened to Andy R about this, and therefore I decided before I ever picked them up to get them balanced. I am a precision diamond and cbn tool maker that supports multiple engine lines and as well as high precision high speed superabrasive grinding wheels. I use a particular vendor to perform the dynamic balancing of these products and I trust them. The vendor I used also does the balancing for brake rotors for ROUSCH racing and the BIG 3's Nascar programs, I know that they know exactly what they are doing. I am not concerned so much with the cost of this as much as I am the rhetoric of balancing and then not offering tighter specs on new OEM replacement product specifically for AS. as I said I am not concerned with what I got as I had planned to do this anyway and hold no bad feelings against anyone, I am a manufacturer and I get it, but has anybody checked quality lately?

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote