Old 05-25-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master
1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Bearing scare

Installed new bearings, races, & seals last year before trip to Salem and BC. They were SKF made by Timken in Mexico.

This week it was time to recheck & lube for summer trip. Started checking the outside bearings and found one pitted on 4-5 rollers. Started to blame SKF, Timken, & Mexico but, slowly it came back to me that my order had been messed up last year by Napa and I had settled for one China bearing to go with the complete change to SKF/Timken. Guess which one was pitted?

The China bearing of course.

The manager at my local Motion Industries, INC. says Chinese bearings do not conform to a certain gassing process followed by Timken & SKF and their steel uniformity suffers accordingly.

I replaced the one outside bearing, pulled one inside seal, inspected the SKF bearing which looked just fine and decided to put it back together and bet that the other three inside bearings are fine after only 6000 miles.

In the future, no chinese bearings for me.

wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Nuff said....thanks

Air 16426

Fully retired now!
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 12:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
China is the new Japan. Remember when "made in Japan" was synonymous with cheap c***? Then they got going and revolutionized bicycles, motorcycles, & cars. Now everyone is saying how'd they do that? When China gets serious about R & D and quality control watch out!
"Not all who are laundering are washed" say Bill & Heidi

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Excella CM,

I agree about the long term. But right now, American engineers don't speak chinese, chinese manuf processes are still behind, low cost is paramount to quality, and the result is that c*** happens. If it is a shirt, you throw it away but, if it is hardgoods, you end up like me, losing 1-2 days because someone else didn't do their job right.

When I am buying hardgoods, I preference Made in Japan if I can get it and then USA/Canada, and finally Europe. My new air compressor was from Italy and is a good looking piece of workmanship but, only time will tell.

Incidently, the Motion Industries manager said there is a lot of gray market bearings coming into the US. Only way to protect yourself is to buy through reputable suppliers. He specifically mentioned bearings from Argentina and China as the major sources. They will be in SKF boxes.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:43 AM   #5
1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
yup, I'm waiting to see how happy folks are with their chinese goodyear marathons!They kinda bolt up to the bearings. DG

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Unfortunately we Americans will buy a ton of their cheap products before the quality improves as we did with the Japanese goods of the '60s. I remember walking into a 'discount' electronic store in the late 1950s and walking out shaking my head at all the cheap and weird sounding brands that I saw. Panasonic, Sony, Mitsubishi........

Neil and Lynn.
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #7

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
...and don't forget Kipor generators, which are just as good as Honda or Yamaha, right?

pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:11 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Orient , New York
I was told recently by a plumber friend of mine ,after commenting on how all the boiler equipment we were installing was made in china , that anything we buy under $1000 in our beloved land will made in China.
crowldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Just keep going to Walmart folks.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master
1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
Just keep going to Walmart folks.

FYI from Bloomberg "Walmart is the 13th largest trading partner with China." And yes that is globally not just US company!!!
Operation "Save Rudy" Strike Team (charter member)

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Originally Posted by drag'nwagon
FYI from Bloomberg "Walmart is the 13th largest trading partner with China." And yes that is globally not just US company!!!
I remember when Sam Walton would showcase small US companies and sell their products at his Walmart stores to help them get going in the marketplace.

I guess when the 'old man' died, the company became exclusively profit driven and the result is the almost 100% Chinese junk being sold there, with a very few exceptions of course.

I personally won't shop at Walmart as both a political statement about how they treat their employees and as a protest to their overwhelming dependence on China as a trading partner.

Feel free to shop where you please, but keep in mind that every dollar you spend at Walmart goes DIRECTLY to the communist regime in China. Keep it up and soon, the US will be a mere financial shadow of it's former self!!

(rant over)

Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote