Old 03-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #1

1959 18' "Footer"
Burnsville , Minnesota
Question Bearing replacement for a 1959 18D

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased my 1959 Airstream 18D. It is amazing. However, yesterday while driving home we noticed we had lost a hub cap and the wheel was wobbly. We pulled over to check it out and the bearing was smoking and had been destroyed, nothing but bits and pieces. We got it home and have taken the wheel off and the nut and now we can not figure out how to get the hub off without wrecking the shaft. Does anyone know how these were assembled back then and how to disassemble them? Are they pressed on? We can not order a new bearing until we know what type of bearing we have. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

JT

Old 03-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Probably the heat seized the races onto the hub. I'm not an expert on that model, but I'll bet you'll either need to hear it or knock it loose. Course if you heat it you could ruin the temper. Should be some smarter answers coming soon.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Originally the outer bearing center bearing and race assembly was just was a slip fit over the shaft. I think this size trailer (in that year) used a slightly smaller bearing than they use now and there have been reported shaft failures on some of them. The The outer bearing race that is stuck on the shaft is very hard but may have been somewhat annealed by the heat of the failed bearing. I have used a high speed grinding wheel to cut a notch 90% thru at 180 degrees on both sides and then used a cold chisel to crack them. No guarentees on it working. The other choice is to heat the race to 400F and try to use a wheel puller to get behind the bearing race and pull it off by pushing on the end of the axle shaft. You need a two or three jaw puller that you can adjust to get under the lip of the bearing race. You may be able to rent one for Autozone if you take the measurements down to them.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I've used the slice and chisel method Dwight mentions on a few occasions over the years and it works fine but be careful you don't go too far or hit the spindle. it works well, doesn't require a lot of extra tools, and is fairly quick and easy to do.

You can always get the bearing number off the wheel on the other side.

Was that an Airstream hubcap you lost? If so they are darned rare. You may want to go hunting for it if you haven't already.

Let us know how things turn out for you.

Barry
Old 03-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua T
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased my 1959 Airstream 18D. It is amazing. However, yesterday while driving home we noticed we had lost a hub cap and the wheel was wobbly. We pulled over to check it out and the bearing was smoking and had been destroyed, nothing but bits and pieces. We got it home and have taken the wheel off and the nut and now we can not figure out how to get the hub off without wrecking the shaft. Does anyone know how these were assembled back then and how to disassemble them? Are they pressed on? We can not order a new bearing until we know what type of bearing we have. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

JT
Joshua,

After such a failure that created a lot of heat and stress on the spindle, I would recommend that you simply replace the entire axle. A competent axle shop should be able to find an axle for you with the correct amount of drop.
The new axle can be ordered with everything already on it, including new brakes. It is an easy replacement, since your trailer has leaf springs.
You might get it working again with the old axle system, but I would always worry about the spindle having taken damage during the incident.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
I second the motion to replace the axel. A new axel will have a heavier spindle and you know it will be in good shape. Consider getting a compllete set of running gear at that time (axel & complete brake hubs). Those words about a heated spindle should be heeded. Seizing is bad but if a spindle cracks & splits it can be catstrophic.

Check out some of the threads on axel replacement even if you are going to have a shop do it. A lot of good education about running gear in those threads.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Welcome to the forums!
A new axle will prbably only be $200-300,and will involve much less knuckle smashing than trying to chisel off the old race from the spindle.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #8

1959 18' "Footer"
Burnsville , Minnesota
Thank all of you

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have decided to buy everything new and replace it all. I have been worried about the dependability of the axel since I have bought it. If anything were to happen to it on the road my Airstream would be ruined. If you have any ideas on where the best place to get these parts would be I would really appreciate it. Thank you all again so much for the suggestions and help.

Thank you,

Josh
Old 03-30-2008, 10:22 PM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua T
Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have decided to buy everything new and replace it all. I have been worried about the dependability of the axel since I have bought it. If anything were to happen to it on the road my Airstream would be ruined. If you have any ideas on where the best place to get these parts would be I would really appreciate it. Thank you all again so much for the suggestions and help.

Thank you,

Josh
Josh,

A competent axle/trailer/welding shop should be able to get you set up safe and sound.
At last count, a complete axle with brakes and all hardware was around $ 400.00. Springs not included.
Make sure to have the springs and shackles checked while the trailer gets measured for the axle.
You might have to improvise on the drop, since the factory drop spindle is difficult to find.
A straight axle will increase ride height by over 2in. Might be good for you, maybe too tall.

Tags