Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:38 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
According to Henschen and Airstream, ALL pre 1974 axles, will fail.

That's 100 percent of them.
According to my Dad, If a house stands long enough, it will burn down.

Roger
Old 11-10-2008, 11:45 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
On the level?

Hi, according to Airstream specifications, on newer trailers, the hitch ball height is either: 17-3/4"s........18-3/4"s..........19-3/4" And it is, in my opinion, that if your hitch ball is at the correct height for your trailer and your trailer sits level, You don't need new axles. [this is provided your trailer is not overloaded.]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 11-11-2008, 04:25 AM   #43
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I think the original point of the thread was that the man was told his axles were bad by a sales man that has exclusive rights to selling a brand. I think his original point was that that sales man does this to everyone that posts a picture on the forums. I think the original point was that this salesman appears to have a certain freedom to operate here that other commercial vendors do not have. I think it was dismissed again as not true, and some actually buy it. This discussion has been made before. I brought it up once before and was chastised for making such a statement. See here is the thread:http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ion-36758.html.
I think that fair needs to be fair. I think if anyone is PMed a catalog number of something they are wondering about, it is just wrong. Even the mention of "We have that in stock" is kind of out of place here. My opinion. It can be edited for sure.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:13 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Quote:
Even the mention of "We have that in stock" is kind of out of place here.
I disagree with that statement. If I needed something and a vendor on the forum made that statement, I would find that most helpful. Especially on a part that is hard to find.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 11-11-2008, 05:56 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I think the original point of the thread was that the man was told his axles were bad by a sales man that has exclusive rights to selling a brand. I think his original point was that that sales man does this to everyone that posts a picture on the forums. I think the original point was that this salesman appears to have a certain freedom to operate here that other commercial vendors do not have. I think it was dismissed again as not true, and some actually buy it. This discussion has been made before. I brought it up once before and was chastised for making such a statement. See here is the thread:http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ion-36758.html.
I think that fair needs to be fair. I think if anyone is PMed a catalog number of something they are wondering about, it is just wrong. Even the mention of "We have that in stock" is kind of out of place here. My opinion. It can be edited for sure.
I could care less if Inland RV has to much freedom to operate. I just want to know if I need new axles! In my life time I have spent money replacing lots of stuff that did not need replacing. I am just trying to do some homework before I drop 1300-1400 dollars on something that may not be needed. Adios, John
Old 11-11-2008, 07:59 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Better late than never...

Dang, I was up at the concession stand for most of this. However, I'll repeat something I opined last time this came up. Anyone ever got in the camper and let your significant other (my wife doesn't like to drive) put some miles on the unit while you observe the camper on the road? I did. The ride is kind of bouncy but not abrupt. I don't know if that is how the unit would ride when it was new (1976 Argosy). I don't have any broken rivets or such things. So, if it feels good... don't do it (replace the axles).
and... I don't like folks implying that Inland Andy is somehow using the forum to be predatory on unsuspecting owners. I have called upon him several times for advice. His advice included using a local Airstream service shop for help. Inland Andy is an asset here and I, for one, an glad that he offers his view.
that's all i have to say about that...

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
Old 11-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Mechanical things do wear out after a period of time, measured in decades in the case of Airstreams. Our 67 also still has its original axles, with only a slight down-angle at rest, unloaded. Not enough for the long run, in my book.

Henschens? Dexters? I don't really care; both have their supporters and detractors. In either case, the axles will probably last longer than we will. We decided to take ours up to Luke in Colorado and have him put on Dexters when we get the chance (and some extra cash).

Lynn
Old 11-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
62 has reiterated my point, although alot of my posts leep disappearing.

I want to also reiterate that Axles go bad. Everything mechanical eventually need replaced.

Somebody keeps whineing and crying everytime I post, to the moderators. One can only wonder who that could be...

My only purpose is just Like the B.B.B and me looking out for my brothers and sister, and fellow Airstreamer.

In other words Buyer Be Ware. I think every news channel today has this, be it Fact Finding, Unethical practice, Ect. Simply put keeping honest people honest / checks and balances.

I am sure there are alot of people who are happy, and they and all should be sure there are alot of people who can be preyed on.

Very few people will admit they had been conned. But it is true misery loves company
Old 11-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #49
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
62 has reiterated my point, although alot of my posts leep disappearing.
OK - enough. Not a lot of posts have disappeared. 3 posts have been removed from this thread - they were off topic and not germane to the topic. You were notified of this at the time.

Quote:
Somebody keeps whineing and crying everytime I post, to the moderators. One can only wonder who that could be...
To insinuate that there is anything inappropriate here is just mean and appears to be designed as a backhanded accusation. Axle disputes are nothing new here and longtime members have learned to recognize them and report them. Then they subscribe to the thread and get popcorn.

Quote:
My only purpose is just Like the B.B.B and me looking out for my brothers and sister, and fellow Airstreamer.
If this is the case and you have a dispute with a commercial entity over a sale you were a party to, then you need to pursue it via an attorney or the BBB. The forum is not the proper venue for this. please read our rules.

Quote:
In other words Buyer Be Ware. I think every news channel today has this, be it Fact Finding, Unethical practice, Ect. Simply put keeping honest people honest / checks and balances.

I am sure there are alot of people who are happy, and they and all should be sure there are alot of people who can be preyed on.

Very few people will admit they had been conned. But it is true misery loves company
If you search the dozens of threads about axles, you will see a variety of experiences both good and bad. It is up to you to make decision about how to proceed with your project. To suggest that someone else has been conned is akin to spreading rumors. Let others fight their own battles.

Again, as in earlier communications, I encourage you to use the report post button if you have a concern about a post or contact a moderator. Good luck with your project.

AirForums Custom Search
Closed Thread