Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2004, 09:28 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi All

Can anyone give us an idea about our axles? I know it is hard to tell from pictures but here is two.

One is the underside.

I read your article Andy and the small graphic you have showing negative, parallel to Positive is a great reference but I was not sure - is the round hole positioned to the wheel and the square hole to the shock? or vice-versa??

Second one showing how she sits - note the tongue is a bit high in the front just got back and have not leveled her but you can see where the frame sits to the wheel.

So do you think we need a new axle?

Things seem to get tossed around in the trailer - not as much as we thought but enough.

Can you just change the shocks? if the Axle is still good? How do you tell if the shocks are gone?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT69 Axle.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	6818   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT69 Axle 2.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	6819  

05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 09:38 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
It appears from your photo that the torsion arm is slightly upwards.

When the trailer is loaded for travel, the torsion arm will move further "upward."

When this happens, the internal travel of the torsion arms have reached their limit and the trailer will bottom out.

That might explain why your trailer had a "rough ride."

It also appears that your shocks are the originals. Replacing them certainly would be order.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 11:28 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Andy;

I know it is hard to tell from the picture - as I could not get a straight on from the wheel side facing into the torsion arm - but it is more like your paralell diagram with the point where the shock is bolted in point below the paralell of the frame.

So as my question previous what is point up the shock end or wheel end of the torsion bar???

You mention the shocks can be changed - what do we get for the 69 GlobeTrotter single axle??? 21 foot. And are they fairly simple to change???

Thanks
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:42 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

bad axle photo?

So look at the low ride of the Overlander on ebay today, #2480288709.

It is sitting a lot lower than my Trade Wind and my axles, as I have often whined, are SHOT!

Connie, learning, slowly slowly learning
Old 06-04-2004, 07:41 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Nampa , Idaho
Angry Bad Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

Attached is a photo showing the the wheel well opening with respect to the vertical position of the tires and wheels.

Andy
Would a low riding, bad axle possibly explain why it was so hard to get my wheels/tires on my 64 Overlander. It was a fight because there just was not enough clearance in any direction. Mine does not have the clearance Andy shows it the photo

Arlene
Trailer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:19 PM   #26
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I found first hand evidence that torsion arm position is not the only sign of a bad axle. My Overlander has the torsion arms pointing down - but the rubber has gotten so hard that there is hardly any suspension evident. Of course now with the trailer gutted, it's hard to tell, but before I stripped it, the front or rear wheel woul dregularly come off the ground when going over speed bumbs, for example.
Ride height ok, but suspension still shot. New axles needed.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:49 PM   #27
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Hi Andy;

I know it is hard to tell from the picture - as I could not get a straight on from the wheel side facing into the torsion arm - but it is more like your paralell diagram with the point where the shock is bolted in point below the paralell of the frame.

So as my question previous what is point up the shock end or wheel end of the torsion bar???

You mention the shocks can be changed - what do we get for the 69 GlobeTrotter single axle??? 21 foot. And are they fairly simple to change???

Thanks
The place the shock is bolted is not really where you look to see if the axles are too low.
If you look directly at the side of the trailer, without the tire on (impossible, but you get the idea)and the part that the brake backing plate bolts to is pointing up at all, the axle is bad. This can be seen by drawing an imaginary line level with the ground through the center of the part that pivots up and down, if the part with the backing plate has more of the backing plate above that line than below it, the axle is bad. Another way an axle can be bad, which is how mine was bad, is if the trailerleans to one side when evenly loaded, the axle must be replaced. My trailer went down the road looking like a hunchback, with one side noticeably higher than the other.
Terry
Old 06-06-2004, 06:27 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
1st axle in place. It took all of 30 minutes to get it situated. I set the axle at the side of the trailer on a big piece of cardboard, then dragged it underneath and aligned it to the cut out in the frame. Put 2 cinder blocks right next to it, and lifted one side at a time on to the blocks to get them higher up in the air. Then I took my 2 scissor jacks from some old Honda's I have owned, and set them on top of the blocks and lifted the axle on top of the jacks. I attached the shocks for stability, then cranked the jacks and the axle moved right up in to place. Fit like a glove... although it should have fit like an axle.

The fun will be assembling the rest of the components.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ax1.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	7055   Click image for larger version

Name:	ax2.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	7056  

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:24 PM   #29
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
It's definitely easier when using bare axles. I had complete axles, and the extra offset weight of the drums and brakes made the job a bit of a wobbler.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:54 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Question for the axle experts out there. Andy especially.

I have completed the change out of my trashed axles with new ones. I opted for the 3200 lb. capacity axles and added torsion arm angle. For a little background info, I have replaced the shocks, brakes, bearings, races, wheels, tires, and essentially have all new running gear. The installation was straight forward and amazingly simple, being that I did it without a set of second hands.

Now that I have set the trailer back down on level ground, the height of the wheel in regards to the wheel well, is not up where I anticipated it being, based on all of the other pictures I have seen of trailers with "good axles." While it is definitely way up from where it was, I am curious if the older trailers had a lower profile in general. From perusing thousands of photos of Airstreams, I have noticed that from 74' on, the trailers seemed to sit higher. Is this the case? Should my trailer sit higher than seen in the attached picture? Is something wrong?

Because I know this question will be asked. My trailer is currently stripped down to below factory weight. There is no refer, empty bw and water tanks, no couch, no heater, no toilet, no propane tanks, and little or no personal effects other than a few hand tools. The cabinetry I added in weighs less than the original materials taken out. I know, I weighed it.

Your thoughts and comments are welcomed!

First pic is before, second is after.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	axl22.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	7363   Click image for larger version

Name:	axl1.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	7364  

Old 06-28-2004, 09:30 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakinup
Question for the axle experts out there. Andy especially.

I have completed the change out of my trashed axles with new ones. I opted for the 3200 lb. capacity axles and added torsion arm angle. For a little background info, I have replaced the shocks, brakes, bearings, races, wheels, tires, and essentially have all new running gear. The installation was straight forward and amazingly simple, being that I did it without a set of second hands.

Now that I have set the trailer back down on level ground, the height of the wheel in regards to the wheel well, is not up where I anticipated it being, based on all of the other pictures I have seen of trailers with "good axles." While it is definitely way up from where it was, I am curious if the older trailers had a lower profile in general. From perusing thousands of photos of Airstreams, I have noticed that from 74' on, the trailers seemed to sit higher. Is this the case? Should my trailer sit higher than seen in the attached picture? Is something wrong?

Because I know this question will be asked. My trailer is currently stripped down to below factory weight. There is no refer, empty bw and water tanks, no couch, no heater, no toilet, no propane tanks, and little or no personal effects other than a few hand tools. The cabinetry I added in weighs less than the original materials taken out. I know, I weighed it.

First pic is before, second is after.
I have to ask a few questions.
You used 3200# axles. What is the dry weight of the trailer as it sits?
What is the angle of the torsion arms right now?
If you do not exceed the combined axle capacity + equipment Load, and the torsion bar angle is positive and is not hitting the frame I can only guess you are OK.

When I replaced my axle I went with a heaver axle and a 25deg angle instead of the stock 22deg. angle. It did provide more clearance but not as much as the trailer could use and I would want.
It rides really nice now. My wife commented that things are not scattered all over after a short run.
Lets us know how it turns out.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:40 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
What is the dry weight of the trailer as it sits?
What is the angle of the torsion arms right now?
I am basing the weight of the trailer by the factory numbers, minus the standard equipment that it comes with as there being no chance of it currently being overloaded. 4510 is the listed weight for my trailer.

I have not checked the current angle, but will take a photo later today and post it.

I am confident that there is "nothing wrong" with the axles, just that I was anticipating a much higher stance, as per my initial conversation with Andy and having viewed pictures of other trailers of similar vintage post axle replacement.

Old 06-28-2004, 09:43 AM   #33
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
sneakinup.

If your Barry, then the following info applies. You did not state your name, which forces us to guess who you are.

From 1969 and up the axle specs are the same.

Originally, the starting angle was 25 degrees. We prefer to have them start at 35 degrees, so that you gain more ground clearance.

The original 72 27 foot axles had a rating of 2800 pounds. Going to 3200 pounds, is an 15 percent increase, which is OK. If you went to a 3500 pound axle, that would be an 25 percent increase, which would not be recommended, unless more weight was added to the basic trailer, over and above the way Airstream built it.

The key for you is to see what the torsion arm position is at now.

From your photo, I would say your Airstream is exactly where it should be.

Attached is a photo of a 1969 29 foot, that has had the same changeout made as you have. Please note that the amount of the tire that can now be seen above the wheel, is about the same.

Andy

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mvc-001s.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	7372  
Old 06-28-2004, 09:49 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Thanks Andy. Yes, I am Barry.

Like I said, I was just curious. I am happy with the clearance I now have, but have seen so many variations... which is what spawned my questions.

I will check the angle and post my results. The big test will be how it rides.

Thanks again.

Old 06-28-2004, 09:52 AM   #35
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Looks good to me.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:43 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Then mine looks okay too

I could check with the PO, but I think I know how old my axles are. Here's a shot from a few minutes ago. Except for countertops & soft goods (let's say 100 pounds) and anything attached to the tongue, its "as delivered":
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM001067.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	7375  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:43 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
At the risk of being insensitive I would not get under that trailer while its on cider blocks - lots of folks have gotten killed that way.

Anyway, what I did was go into a brand new trailer and jump around a bit in it to feel how new axles feel. Then jumped around in mine - BIG difference.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:44 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
ooooooooooooops those are not cider blocks - here I go again typing too fast, they are c i n d e r (think I got it ) blocks
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 04:45 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
At the risk of being insensitive I would not get under that trailer while its on cider blocks - lots of folks have gotten killed that way.
Ken,

Thanks for your concern. However, they are concrete blocks with a weight distributing board on top.

While I have no desire to sway you to the dark side, "watch this" people have a tendancy to set their axles directly on top of a side, which cracks, and catastrophic failure results. But thanks for the post

Before this thread gets hijacked by Industrial Safety, what do you think about my axle situation?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 05:06 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Cinder Blocks

Using cinder blocks to support the weight of an Airstream, is an E-ticket ride to a casket.

Unfortunately, the people you could ask, are no longer with us.

Safety, Safety, can it "ever" be preached too much???

Andy