Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #1

1972 31' Excella 500
flint , Michigan
Unhappy Axles?? please check out pic ..

Hello,

I am about to buy this airstream and i am concerned about how low the airstream is sitting on these tires. I am a newbie and this is my first airstream purchase. Can anyone give advise?? I am not sure if this is normal. The tires are flat and not sure if that's making it sit low. Does it look like the axles are shot?

Thank you to anyone with any advise !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0944.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	125246  
petlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Its 38 years old, yeah they're done. Jack the trailer up & I bet the wheels will hardly drop at all. You'll probably have a hell of a time taking the wheels off to get them repaired too.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
This trailer needs new axles. Here is my very own axle thread. Replacing the axles isn't the same as say...preforming a hot section inspection on a Lycoming turbine engine but you need some mechanical abilities. It is rather easy stuff actually.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Hello, Petlovers, and welcome to the forums! You'll find tons of information here to help you with your new purchase.

As Colin pointed out, you'll probably find that the axles are getting up in age. However, once you get the tires fixed, the aging condition of the axles shouldn't prevent you from towing the rig home safely, at least as long as you avoid potholes. (And, thank heavens, axle replacement isn't that bad of a job.)

When you start on those tires, be aware that you shouldn't just stick a jack anywhere under there, including not under the axles themselves. On ours, there's frame showing between the axles. That's where we jack it up when we need to.

Lynn
Old 03-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I would say that the axles need to be replaced. The down angle of the photo makes it difficult to be positive. You can look under the trailer to see of the trailing arms are pointing downward. If they are not, they are bad.
With the age of that trailer, if the axles are original, my bet is that they need replacement. It's not a big deal. There are bigger things to be concerned about like the condition of the plywood floor, plumbing, electrical, appliances etc. Axles are not real expensive, and are very easily replaced.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #6

1972 31' Excella 500
flint , Michigan
axles

Do you think that it's too much of a project? also, do you know what kind of cost involved with replacing them??? It is 2.5 hrs away and we haven't been able to see it yet. Only emailed pictures.

Thanks
petlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
petlovers that's exactly what mine looked like and I replaced them. BTW I have a 73 excella 500 too if you hadn't noticed.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Petlovers, if you'll search around in the forums, you'll find multiple threads about axle replacement. As it's a somewhat "hot topic" for owners of vintage rigs, there isn't always agreement about exactly what to get, but from those threads, you'll also get a good feel for possible prices.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by petlovers View Post
Do you think that it's too much of a project? also, do you know what kind of cost involved with replacing them??? It is 2.5 hrs away and we haven't been able to see it yet. Only emailed pictures.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:

Thanks
I've supplied many axles to DIY types & drop shipped them all over so if you are mechanically inclined you can do it. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, RV service shops or garages are capable. It's against Forums rules for me to post prices.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
This can be a do it yourself job, but I encourage you to factor in the axle, brake and tire replacement cost when considering the trailer sale. Chances are you will need to replace them all.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
In case no one has given you an idea of the axle price via PM or anything, the price guide at vintageairstream.com says $780 per axle. It's a great resource:

Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Times have changed and so have tow vehicles. Manys year ago, a large car was the typical tow vehicle. Today, the typical tow vehicle is a truck in one form or another.

That shifted tow vehicles from low profile to high profile. That can be reasonably accomodated by changing axle specs.

Also most owners today, carry far more "pay load" than ever before.

Remember, the rated "stopping power" of brakes, is when they are properly adjusted for maximum performance. Not routinely adjusting the electric brakes, to compensate for wear, derates the stopping power, all to many times, to an unsafe rating.

Typically then, it's far better to have electric brake ratings that are in excess of the actual trailer weight, instead of borderline. One never knows when that extra braking becomes instantly in demand, even to the extent of stopping the tow vehicle, should those brakes fail.

Usually, being extra safe and cautious, pays many dividends, when needed, especially with brake performance.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:57 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
In case no one has given you an idea of the axle price via PM or anything, the price guide at vintageairstream.com says $780 per axle.
That price may be a bit high these days. I think Colin sells them for about 60% of that figure, and Michigan isn't that far from Indiana, where the axles are made, so shipping shouldn't be that bad.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:10 AM   #14
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Axle prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
In case no one has given you an idea of the axle price via PM or anything, the price guide at vintageairstream.com says $780 per axle. It's a great resource:

Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values
That figure is the "high" end for sure. I have all the price quotes on my axle thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ead-74177.html

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:23 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:

Thanks
It is not a big project in terms of technical difficulty. You will need (very) basic tools and a good afternoon of work. Depending on what brand of axles you purchase, it can be as easy as securing each axle in place with 4 bolts and connecting 2 electrical wires. Some folks have changed both axles in 4-5 hrs. Mine took 8+ but I was not racing!

But, as Jim said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
....With the age of that trailer, if the axles are original, my bet is that they need replacement. It's not a big deal. There are bigger things to be concerned about like the condition of the plywood floor, plumbing, electrical, appliances etc. Axles are not real expensive, and are very easily replaced.
A lot of 70's models, et. al. have some rotten floors in the bath & entry door. Fixing them can be more technically challenging and likely more time consuming than the axles and other running gear. Check them floors good - use an awl around the perimeter, look under the carpet and through the access compartments/bumper.

Definately make a copy of the link for Price vs Condition to see other items to evaluate when you inspect the trailer. Good luck!

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote