Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
POcatello , Idaho
Axles Parallel With Frame?

Have 65 sovereing in shop on level ground (shell and floor off, just frame and running gear) and noticed that frame was high on street side (not level). I looked at the axles and noticed that the street side of the axles are mounted "1.5" inches bellow the main rail of the frame while the curb side of the axles is "3/4" bellow the main rail. If I put a piece of "3/4" inch plywood under the curb side wheels it levels it all out. I am assuming this was intentional from the factory? Maybe to compensate for more weight on the Street side? Would appreciate any input or verification on this. Thanks Heaps
Rob
rwkrapfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
It is possible that these aren't the original axles?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
POcatello , Idaho
Thanks for the reply. No these are the original Dura Torque axles. I am replacing them so I can mount the new ones however needed but the original mounting cutout for the axles currently on put the street side axles lower than the curb side. I am not sure if I should stick with how it was with the new axles (if there is a purpose to it ) or make the new axles parallel with the frame. Thanks
Old 02-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwkrapfel View Post
Thanks for the reply. No these are the original Dura Torque axles. I am replacing them so I can mount the new ones however needed but the original mounting cutout for the axles currently on put the street side axles lower than the curb side. I am not sure if I should stick with how it was with the new axles (if there is a purpose to it ) or make the new axles parallel with the frame. Thanks
Give Andy Rogozinski a call @ InlandRV in California. I'm betting he will know if this is factory or not. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwkrapfel View Post
It's very possible for one side of the trailer to lower than the other side.

Parking it for an extended period of time, with a pay load on one side of the trailer will cause that issue.

The obvious "fix" someone dreamed up was to add a shim.

Shims don't compensate for bad axles. They just avoid looking at the real issues.

New axles should be mounted the original proper way, no shims of any kind.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
That's messed up!

They should both be afixed with the same offset, but no shims as Andy says.

Who wants an unlevel trailer? We spend enough time trying to level them when we set up.

I would do it right and get them level first.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I just installed one of the two new axles on my Argosy. I don't see how one side could be mounted lower by 3/4". The notch in the trailer mounting plate are set to the same depth. Which is the position the axle must be in for the bolts to line up with the holes.
Unless a PO drilled new holes in both the axle plate and the trailer plate. If this were done, it should be obvious.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
POcatello , Idaho
Thanks for all the feedback. On closer examination it is obvious that some one decided to level the trailer by cutting the mounting plate (steel plate that is welded onto main rail that axle is bolted onto) just inside the wheel wells, and lower the entire plate "3/4" of an inch and re-weld it back on. In the photo I attached you can see the old hole for the electric brake wire and how they had to drill it out to still line up with the hole in the main rail. The question now is what to do - I could totally undo what has been done and move the plate back up to its original location. An easier alternative seems to be to cut out the top "3/4" inches of the square opening that the axle fits in on the mounting plate that has been lowered. The holes for the original mounting bolts will have to be re-drilled out anyways. Any thoughts on the best way to un-do/ fix somebody's great idea on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8170020.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	150077  
Old 02-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Wow! Since you have it all torn down to the bones, I'd remove the axle plate and replace it with a newly fabricated plate.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I am confused. Did the PO lower the axle on this side of the trailer in order to raise the trailer on that side? Can you post a pic of the notch in the trailer plate on each side?
If the PO just welded a plate across the original notch to move the axle down it should be possible to grind the plate off or out of the notch to re establish the original axle height.
On my trailer the flat top of the axle plate is virtually flush with the bottom of the frame.
Do the original mounting holes still exist?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
POcatello , Idaho
Hey Tg Twinkie thanks for the reply - sorry for the confusion. I will try to get a photo latter. It is my assumption that yes the PO lowered the S Side axle in order to raise that side of the trailer. The PO did not weld a plate across the original notch but rather cut out the original plate (within the wheal wells - entire plate extends past wheel wells) and lowered it. Hope this helps clarify - I will try to get some photos tomorrow. Congrats on getting your axles installed!
Old 02-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I agree with TOP on this, If it is all apart anyway, fix it correctly and replace the mounting plate. This would be a great opportunity to get the alignment dead on.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote