Old 06-28-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Allegan , Michigan
Axles - Colin Hyde MIA?

I am in a bit of a bind. I ordered axles from Colin Hyde a while back; he left a message two weeks ago saying they we ready and it would take a few days to get shipping lined up. Unfortunately I have not heard anything since then and have not been able to get in touch with him via Email or his phone number. Almost every time I call the "mailbox is full and can't accept new messages".

Normally it would not be a big deal but I am heading to Maine on July 11; I don't want to redo the bearings and brakes now and then install new axles on my return in August.

Does anyone know where Colin is or how I can get in touch with him to find out where my axles are?

Thanks for your help.

R W Nash

Old 06-28-2016, 06:16 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
He's probably at the International rally in West Virginia.
You know, the place that was pretty much flooded out, and washed away. Communication with my friends that are there is very spotty.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
He can be difficult to reach, but he's definitely an honest guy - and your axles will just bolt right in. Do you have the shocks yet? The particular shocks that Colin recommends are pretty stout - they're a fit for the rear axle of a 1 ton truck. They also include the required studs to bolt them to the shock arms.

If you have lug bolts right now, remember that the new axles will have studs, so you'll also need to get 1/2" lug nuts to fit.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post

If you have lug bolts right now, remember that the new axles will have studs, so you'll also need to get 1/2" lug nuts to fit.
Most of the axles I've gotten include lug nuts. Granted, they are the standard steel lug nuts, which fit steel wheels, but they were included.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Milford , New Hampshire
Spoke with Colin yesterday, alive & well.
Heading up to his shop in AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Most of the axles I've gotten include lug nuts. Granted, they are the standard steel lug nuts, which fit steel wheels, but they were included.
You're 100% correct. The lug nuts are included; I've got aluminum wheels, so I wanted some semi-decorative nuts since they show.

Nevermind!
Old 06-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Carmel , California
Talked to him last week to pay for my axles already ordered.

air:104541
ChadC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Allegan , Michigan
Axles arrived!

Looks like I jumped the gun. Axles arrived this afternoon; about the same time Colin sent an Email saying they should be here tomorrow or the next day. So I am good to go!

Axles came with lug nuts, hardware and an owners manual with a parts list. (After last summer's "smoking bearing" I intend to carry spare bearings, cups and seal; so the parts list will make that easy to figure out.) I already have some standard "Airstream" shocks that I was going to install before I discovered that I also needed new axles.

Last decision will be new tires. Right now I am leaning toward keeping the 15 inch steel wheels but upgrading to Michelins. Hope that I have enough time to do it before the trip; if not then it will be the last trip east for my old Goodyear Marathons. (I think they were built in the USA and have given me very good service - unlike the Chinese tires on my boat trailer.)

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

Whit Nash
Old 07-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
1973 31' Sovereign
Noonan , New Brunswick
Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
The particular shocks that Colin recommends are pretty stout - they're a fit for the rear axle of a 1 ton truck. They also include the required studs to bolt them to the shock arms.
Does anyone know what the model # is for these heavy duty shocks? Need four for my 1973 31' Sovereign. I am not a fan of the stock Airstream shocks, might as well not have anything.
WBCCI #6722
Ham Radio VE9NKD
KEIZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
He recommended (Monroe Gas Magnum shock #555003) for my axles. Which I just ordered from him today.