Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Axles Axles Axles

Colin Hyde ---- You’re the man.

I needed 2 new Axles for my 74 Argosy. I contacted both Colin and Inland RV. Colin answered the very next day. Inland no answer from a PM to Andy and a message left on their web site.
So I went with Colin, and this is how it went.
I PMed Colin with my VIN and told him I wanted to just unbolt and rebolt. No holes to drill and no welding.
He answered the next day with a price and a time frame for delivery.
I called Colin to verify that it was going to be as easy as unbolt and rebolt. No holes to drill no welding. He assured me that was the case.
When I was ready to order I sent Colin a check.
He contacted me when they were ready to be delivered and the date to pick them up at a local freight terminal.
When I was ready to install them, I call Colin with more questions. He was more than willing to answer and gave my many pointers to make the job go easier.
Following Colin’s pointers they both went in with out any problems. (well one problem. 1 of the old rusted bolts wouldn’t budge, even with tons of WD40. Had to saw off) But that wasn’t Colin’s fault. LOL
It took about 7 hours to do both including the test drive and brake controller adjustment.

THANKS AGAIN COLIN HYDE

Tim
Old 06-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Yucca , Arizona
Did you order with new brakes or without? Ballpark $? Thanks Terry
lasgambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post

I needed 2 new Axles for my 74 Argosy. I contacted both Colin and Inland RV. Colin answered the very next day. Inland no answer from a PM to Andy and a message left on their web site.
I PMed Colin with my VIN and told him I wanted to just unbolt and rebolt. No holes to drill and no welding.
I called Colin to verify that it was going to be as easy as unbolt and rebolt. No holes to drill no welding. He assured me that was the case.
He contacted me when they were ready to be delivered and the date to pick them up at a local freight terminal.
When I was ready to install them, I call Colin with more questions. He was more than willing to answer and gave my many pointers to make the job go easier.
Following Colin’s pointers they both went in with out any problems. (well one problem. 1 of the old rusted bolts wouldn’t budge, even with tons of WD40. Had to saw off) But that wasn’t Colin’s fault. LOL
It took about 7 hours to do both including the test drive and brake controller adjustment.

THANKS AGAIN COLIN HYDE

Tim
Glad it went well, you will really notice a difference in the ride with new axles. I have not had the opportunity to work with Colin but from everything that I have heard he is great guy and takes care of his customers. For us Vintage Airstream owners we need more Colin's. But as a point of reference Inland RV, Andy and his staff have provided excellent service to all of us over the years. A lot of us would not have been able to find the Airstream parts including axles and get answers to tough questions and assistance when we had a problem if it were nor for Andy and Inland RV. My experience when I purchased new axles from Inland RV for my 1976 31' Sovereign went pretty mush as you described above. I am happy we have vendors such as Colin, Inland RV and others that understand our passion for these old trailers and are here to offer their services and expertise.

Enjoy your new axles and you can now replace any rivets that may have popped out while you had the old axles. They won't be popping out with the new axles.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasgambler View Post
Did you order with new brakes or without? Ballpark $? Thanks Terry
I went with new brakes. For my 1974 Argosy 28 I was quoted $495 each plus shipping.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post

Glad it went well, you will really notice a difference in the ride with new axles. I have not had the opportunity to work with Colin but from everything that I have heard he is great guy and takes care of his customers. For us Vintage Airstream owners we need more Colin's. But as a point of reference Inland RV, Andy and his staff have provided excellent service to all of us over the years. A lot of us would not have been able to find the Airstream parts including axles and get answers to tough questions and assistance when we had a problem if it were nor for Andy and Inland RV. My experience when I purchased new axles from Inland RV for my 1976 31' Sovereign went pretty mush as you described above. I am happy we have vendors such as Colin, Inland RV and others that understand our passion for these old trailers and are here to offer their services and expertise.

Enjoy your new axles and you can now replace any rivets that may have popped out while you had the old axles. They won't be popping out with the new axles.
I also have ordered parts from Andy and have had good service. I don't know why he never got back to me. I PMed him and waited 2weeks then posted through his web site and still didn't here from him a month later when I ordered from Colin. I did not follow through with Andy because Colin's price was far less than Andy had on line. But I thought I gave him a fair shot.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
I had the same experience with Colin, installation was easy and straight forward. Shock brackets were welded on as well. I have a 68 which I thought would be more of a problem. but as long as you have a "high profile bracket" you are good to go.
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
for rusted bolts, buy, or borrow an impact wrench, its the only way to go.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Yucca , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
for rusted bolts, buy, or borrow an impact wrench, its the only way to go.
And PB Blaster!!
lasgambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Totally true lasgambler. I got in a hurry to remove the old axles and shocks, threw a wrench on the nut holding the shock in place and broke off the stud that holds the shock in place. Thats when I came to my senses, sprayed all bolts with pb blaster waited a day sprayed some more and hit them with an impact wrench. Came off easy as pie.

Of course none of that is Colins fault either, even he cant fix stupid.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:53 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
ashland , Missouri
axles

I agree Colin was very good to work with, It went smooth I couldn't believe it was that easy. Redder
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeocamperAS View Post

THANKS AGAIN COLIN HYDE

Tim
Redder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Bozeman , Montana
Contact info

What is the contact info for Colin Hyde?
treeair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I think I'll be contacting Colin soon!
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #13
Jim&Teach

1976 31' Sovereign
Portage , Indiana
We purchased a '76 31' LY last fall. Took her "Lucille" on her maiden voyage two weekend's ago. Love this forum. Would it be bad to buy 1 axle and when the AS fund built up buy the other axle? Jim Tecch Lucille
jimmbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:31 PM   #14
Jim&Teach

1976 31' Sovereign
Portage , Indiana
Us again. How do you know if axles are bad or just assume after 39 years they are bad?
jimmbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
colinhydetrailerrestorations.com
Old 06-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Or
(518) 578-7772
Old 06-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Jimmbob,
Colin would be better than I to answer your questions.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Jimmbob, if they're original and that old they're shot. How to tell, look at the angle if the arm from the axle tube to the wheel hub. When new they had about 22 degrees down from horizontal. Right now I'll bet they're either horizontal or possibly slight negatine(up)angle. This means the cords are worn out, axles are worn out and won't have spring in them.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
negative (up)
Old 06-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
We purchased a '76 31' LY last fall. Took her "Lucille" on her maiden voyage two weekend's ago. Love this forum. Would it be bad to buy 1 axle and when the AS fund built up buy the other axle? Jim Tecch Lucille
I don't think I'd do that; here's why:

The new axle would be bearing significantly more weight than the old axle because of the increased arm angle. This would be tough on the new axle.

This is, of course, strictly my own opinion and subject to nullification by Mr. Hyde.