Old 05-12-2005, 04:19 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Axles and such...

I just want to keep a thread out here that will allow us all the ability to post questions and comments concerning our running gear.
I am going to post the pictures of the axle installation in my Member Photos section so they will still be easily viewed by anyone wanting to attempt their own axle installation.
If anyone has any questions concerning more installation photos or the long-term quality of the axle I have please feel free to PM me or post it here for all to answer.
I have learned from this forum that none of us are as smart as all of us.

Old 05-12-2005, 04:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Thankyou, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
..I have learned from this forum that none of us are as smart as all of us.
Sorry Lou.

Vintage Airstream R&R depends more on experience than smarts. The bulk of the people I work around on a daily basis are a lot smarter than I am. But the people I depend on for a workable solution to my current problem have been around the block a few times, and will help me from repeating their mistakes if I just ask.

I applaud your efforts at trying to save people a few bucks on appliances & running gear. Thankyou. But I will listen to the voice of experience first before making decisions on big ticket items.

I would pleased if I got a kickback from Corona CA for this post, but I'm not holding my breath. I can work on it though to save money...

Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Sorry Lou.

Vintage Airstream R&R depends more on experience than smarts. The bulk of the people I work around on a daily basis are a lot smarter than I am. But the people I depend on for a workable solution to my current problem have been around the block a few times, and will help me from repeating their mistakes if I just ask.

I applaud your efforts at trying to save people a few bucks on appliances & running gear. Thankyou. But I will listen to the voice of experience first before making decisions on big ticket items.

I would pleased if I got a kickback from Corona CA for this post, but I'm not holding my breath. I can work on it though to save money...

Tom
Tom,
I agree that experience is a good rule. The question then is does that experience count toward anything tangible? Sometimes the voice of experience is not always reasonable.
I do not view it as trying to save a few bucks. I would not be able to renovate my vintage Argosy if it weren't for those "few bucks".
I have been restoring these trailers on shoestring budgets since I was 16. That was 22 years ago. I am not going to say that I am better than the guy that just started doing it last year. He may have learned more, (quicker), than I have.
This is not the first axle I have replaced on a vintage Airstream product. I have replaced them on nearly all of my units, (four and counting), and I will be replacing the axle on the Argosy 20 this summer.
I am merely documenting my successes or failures so people on here can learn from my experience.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
I am sorry fellas - I have had to jump into this conversation BECAUSE!

This thread is being closed because the people posting can not post nicely.

I have no clue where this is coming from?? I have been e-mailed on all posts to this past thread and have enjoyed everyones comments and opinions - I have learned a lot and we have made our own PERSONAL decision as to where to a buy a specific product from.

And when you compare product with price from two different companies and the difference is so large to warrant such a comment - then who is to blame on that one. Maybe I missed a post??? that warranted the thread to close - but why close a very important thread to many of us just because there is some competition in the "market place"

Anyway I have a right to voice my disappointment here on this Axle situation. I have dealt with both "People" and have found them both to be polite and knowledgeable - but as a consumer I should be able to make a decision to purchase what ever product I wish - with out any backlashing.

In our case we were comparing product with product and it is clearly more economical for us to go with Axis rather than Inland RV - why it could have been anyone - even my local dealer hooking me up with a dexter and a local welder to get the job done. -Or if we had the extra cash and not so many other priorities targeted we may have continued our course with Inland RV.

This is a great forum with some pretty cool people - instead of closing threads like the axle one maybe a bit of eduction to use "Dealers and Resources" type forum - for manufacturers might be more appropriate - and a bit of education to the Suppliers to play fair might be in order.

It is a big continent folks - with 1000's of axle suppliers - get along!
Old 05-12-2005, 05:37 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
IAnyway I have a right to voice my disappointment here on this Axle situation. I have dealt with both "People" and have found them both to be polite and knowledgeable - but as a consumer I should be able to make a decision to purchase what ever product I wish - with out any backlashing.

And Moderators if you don't want attitude with your posts then cut back on the smillies as they will be used to substitute attitude i.e.
There are posts that may not have been seen by all members, and some that did not follow the forum rules. If someone has a complaint about a post they may report it to a moderator for any reason. If the post contains something that is not correct regarding a member or a relationship between two members the members in question have the right to ask it be removed. I have looked at the deleted post in that thread. They where going to take it off the tracks just like the cheap AC thread. This time we nipped it early so the useful information that is in the thread will be preserved.

As to having a vendors or suppliers or sponsors area, it will come. But the be nice to each other rule will still apply.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
As to having a vendors or suppliers or sponsors area, it will come. But the be nice to each other rule will still apply.

Thanks for the reply Brett I totally understand - when people "write" their posts similar to two school kids fighting over the shinny ball. A time out is given but the rest of us can still play ball. After a bit the two kiddies should have settled their differences and allowed to "play" again.

I think the vendors, suppliers or sponsors area is a great idea and maybe us layman might stick with just the simple Q&A - without the baggage. Although it is fun at times - there are always people that have to take offense or their vested interest is challenged.

On the whole this "Community" is pretty darn good and all you MOD's at times have a tough time schooling our "Children".
Old 05-12-2005, 06:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
I have looked at the deleted post in that thread. They where going to take it off the tracks just like the cheap AC thread. This time we nipped it early so the useful information that is in the thread will be preserved.

Brett,
I want to thank you guys from closing it and deleting the nasty post. I have a copy of that post in my email. It was going to take it off course. I was saddened when the Cheap A/C thread was deleted. I do understand why it had to be deleted though.
Thanks to all of the moderators for nipping this one in the bud. All of us had posted really good information in the Axle Doctor thread.
Let's hope we can keep this thread on track and everyone can play nice. I can also be included in the "not playing nice" at times! Sorry!
Old 05-12-2005, 07:10 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
I just want to keep a thread out here that will allow us all the ability to post questions and comments concerning our running gear.
I am going to post the pictures of the axle installation in my Member Photos section so they will still be easily viewed by anyone wanting to attempt their own axle installation.
If anyone has any questions concerning more installation photos or the long-term quality of the axle I have please feel free to PM me or post it here for all to answer.
I have learned from this forum that none of us are as smart as all of us.
Lou,

If I had anything to do with the stopping of your thread I am truly sorry . I too viewed that last post (pretty harsh) and agree that would have opened the door to getting off track very quickly (thank you Mr. Moderator).

I would like to continue to post on your thread(s) regarding axles if that is ok with you ?

It was a great experience working with you on your renovation project and as I committed to you, I will help any way that I can. Additionally I learned a lot about Airstreams and the folks that work on them thanks to you. I really enjoyed viewing the growth of the thread on a daily basis – and seeing it blossom.

Lou, again you have my sincerest apologies for contributing any questionable input .

Regards,

Henry
Old 05-12-2005, 08:03 PM   #9
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
200 post limit?

I have noticed that the threads seem to get , umm, lost, when the number of posts get up around 200. Maybe the moderators can institute a 200 post limit on all threads, maybe that will slow down the nastygrams.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
I have noticed that the threads seem to get , umm, lost, when the number of posts get up around 200. Maybe the moderators can institute a 200 post limit on all threads, maybe that will slow down the nastygrams.
It could make them post nasty-grams quicker to get them out of the way!
Old 05-12-2005, 10:40 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
axles and such

I was looking for the thread about AXIS AXLES and see that the thread must have been closed for some reason ... Just wanted to say that because of that thread i was able to find a quality replacement axle for my 77 argosy minuet it should be completed this week and on its way to my local trailer store they have agreed to install it as soon as they can... however it may take more time getting an appointment with them than it takes Henry at Axis Axles to make one ... this is a very busy time here for trailer service ... I have asked him if i can take some pictures of the install for all of us.. he seemed a little miffed but i think we'll get some ...would like to thank Lou for his persistance with the axle thread he devoted many hours to supplying all of us with detailed information regarding the Axle and the process of sorceing a reputable axle product and the people at Axis for attempting to supply us ALL with a quality product at an affordable price ...again if there is anyone who is looking for a replacement axle for there airstream I would strongly suggest AXIS AXLES ... and talk to henry he is very easy to talk with the service is outstanding and prices are very reasonable ... as for the quality it would seem that even the VINTAGE THUNDER will be riding on a pair of AXIS AXLES... this is a photo of the low rider minuet getting a bath.... it has slowly dropped a couple inches in the last year ... I will be sure to get more ... if the shop guy doesn't get too miffed ...
Old 05-13-2005, 12:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Gotair2,
Where is the picture????
Old 05-13-2005, 12:18 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Tom
No one even mentioned prices of anything in the thread here.
It is just a place to post things about running gear. I am using it to share what I have learned from 22 years of experience. I am also using it to get ideas from fellow forum members.
If you look above this post you will see that it is already being used for that.
Thanks.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
Lou,

I would like to continue to post on your thread(s) regarding axles if that is ok with you ?

It was a great experience working with you on your renovation project and as I committed to you, I will help any way that I can. Additionally I learned a lot about Airstreams and the folks that work on them thanks to you. I really enjoyed viewing the growth of the thread on a daily basis – and seeing it blossom.

Lou, again you have my sincerest apologies for contributing any questionable input .

Regards,

Henry
Not problem posting. Anyone can post to any thread. I have noticed that you can get jumped on here pretty quickly. Just remember what GT6921 said about not being able to take the heat.
Please do try to stick to the topic of the thread. That seems to be where things start to get off track and emotions run high after that point.
If you know axles, by all means talk axles.
I enjoyed working with you too. This was the single most important replacement in the trailer, as it is what gets me from one place to another.
I do have some concerns about my axle replacement on the Argosy 20 though.
First of all, can an ActiBrake unit be mounted in a small space? How big is this unit? I do not have a lot of space on the front tongue of that trailer and I would like to go with the disc brakes and the ActiBrake unit. That trailer is heavier and wider than my Minuet. I am also planning on taking it into the mountains. I would feel better if it had the disc brakes on it.
Thanks.