Old 06-11-2005, 08:00 AM   #57
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus
AXLE IS IN, now here is the question. Our old original axle on th '67 Globetrotter was rated 4,000 lbs. After re-hab, the GT weighs 4218 lbs., plus food, plus free standing A/C unit, plus bikes( on the bed), plus casket size ice chest. We replaced the old axle with a 6,000 lb axle with a 22.5 degree down angle, and after its all said and done, the GT doesn't stand any higher or lower than with the old axle. The same amount of sidewall is exposed beyond the wheel opening to the rim edge. However, while suspended in the air, the axle arm drops down more than on the old one. I was hoping for more height. Hmm, I wondering now if it WAS really necessary to replace the old one? From all reports, are we not supposed to enjoy a little more ground clearance? At least the ride is smooth and comfortable, even the side goucho stays put.
Looks from here like you took a 3000 pound trailer, with a 4000 pound axle, added 1200 pounds to it, installed an axle with 2000 pounds more capacity, so you only added 800 pounds to the axle capacity. You then added 200 pounds of A/C for a balance of 600 pounds. You then added 2(?) bikes for a total of 100 pounds, leaving you with a balance of 500 pounds. Then you added a 100 pound ice chest (give-or-take), leaving you with only a 400 pound addition to your weight capacity, after all is said and done. If your old axle was "stuck" in the "right" position for your trailer, you should not reasonably expect the trailer to sit more than an inch higher than it did. Sorry to rain on your parade, but that is what my guesstimated numbers tell me. Although you probably did need a new axle, especially since you added considerable weight to it, a new axle wouldn't do a whole lot for the ride height.

Old 06-11-2005, 09:33 AM   #58
Rivet Master

Thanks Overlander63. Yep, that's what we had figured with the a factor of about (1.3), that gave us around 4-500 lbs to play with,. Overall, I am happy with how the GT rides. No more jarring banging. I wanted to layout the overall ending project because of some feed back I was told earlier, I needed to replace the Globetrotter's axle with a 3500 poinder. Thats before I looked at the old axle tag.
With the old axle and new brake assmeblies, we had to let the air out of tires and pull the fender out to remove the tire. This new axle we don't. All things being equal, at least we thought they were, turns out the brake drum assmenblies sent from the west coast , which were thought to be identical replacements to the orginals, were wider causing the tire removeal problem. Didn't think to match them up at time of installation. Just did that this a.m. and was surprised of the differnce. The old brake drums and the new ones coming with the axle are narrower than the repacement brake assemblies we got from California 2 years ago.
Well, we're set for Missouri. Just need to hitch up and give the 36 year old towcar a chance to prove itself around town today.

Old 06-11-2005, 01:32 PM   #59
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Well, we're set for Missouri. Just need to hitch up and give the 36 year old towcar a chance to prove itself around town today.
Have a safe trip, and give us a report when you return.
Remember, it's not a job, it's an- oh, wait. Wrong slogan.
See you down the road...
Old 06-11-2005, 02:09 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Overlanded63, Took the caddy and the Globetrotter on a 30 mile jaunt, including a 6 miles 6% grade (things did get a bit toasty), and 1969 DeVille Convertible did admirably. Pulled that hill at 55 in second gear. I turned off the a/c for the eztra boost. Coming down, the compression held the whole rig in 2nd gear at 45.
Only problem we had, is the 2 year old LED brake/stop lights we ordered from INland RV have begun to burn out the light bulbs. I thought LED's had a longer life than 2 years/ 10 outings of a few days.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:26 PM   #61
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Only problem we had, is the 2 year old LED brake/stop lights we ordered from INland RV have begun to burn out the light bulbs. I thought LED's had a longer life than 2 years/ 10 outings of a few days.
They do. They have a useful life of something like 20 years of continuous use. It could be the units are defective, or the LEDs are getting more than their rated voltage. I have had a small handfull of LEDs burn out in the last 20 years. They seem to either burn out after a couple of hours, or they last forever.