Old 05-13-2005, 07:38 PM   #29
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i hate to break the news to you guys, but airstream beat ya to it!

when a buddy of mine and i were digging around in the front of his trailer we found the remainder of a "trailer anti sway device" under the front couch.

it was ment to apply the trailer brakes on each side independantly during a sway episode. i have now idea how it worked or if it even worked because it was disconnected.

i have no knowledge if it was factory or aftermarket. the trailer is a 74 excella.

perhaps andy could shed some light on the subject....

john

Old 05-13-2005, 07:44 PM   #30
Rivet Master

What we are talking about is on the tow vehicle.
I know that the ultimate guy to ask is a service tech I am familiar with at Airstream. He will be able to difinitively answer the question of whether it was an Airstream option or not.

Old 05-13-2005, 07:52 PM   #31
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
lou

let us know, anything is possible. those excellas had everything from central vaccums to bargeman safes! not to mention the propane powered onan generators!

john
Old 05-13-2005, 07:54 PM   #32
Rivet Master

They sure did have everything! Nothing surprises me.
I have to call Airstream Tech Support on Monday anyway. I will ask my contact if it was an option.
As for the stuff the C.T. is working on, I will see if they have any press releases.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:21 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd

when a buddy of mine and i were digging around in the front of his trailer we found the remainder of a "trailer anti sway device" under the front couch.

it was ment to apply the trailer brakes on each side independantly during a sway episode. i have now idea how it worked or if it even worked because it was disconnected.

i have no knowledge if it was factory or aftermarket. the trailer is a 74 excella.

john
John,

I am very interested in knowing more about this “device”. Could you add some more details? What did it look like, any identifying markings, etc…?

Thanks,

Henry
Old 05-14-2005, 07:19 AM   #34
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
henry

i'll have to ask my buddy to look and see if there is any identification left. it has been a while since i saw it, it could very well been tossed during the remodel.

my impression was that it used some sort of pendulum that swung side to side and completed an electrical circuit.

i wonder if a patent search would reveal anything?

john
Old 05-14-2005, 08:33 AM   #35
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Dunno what all the hubub was about...must have missed it.... but I for one enjoy Lou's posts, particularly the one on axles...though I am not in the market for one, the place that did his axle seem to be on top of it. In the very short time I've gotten to know Lou (as good as someone can on a forum), I've found his posts and PMs to be really great.....keep it up.

Axleman too has appeared to me to have some good info out there as well. I may be wrong, but Axleman is the person who did Lou's axle and I was impressed with the whole process.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 11:59 AM   #36
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:

john
John,
It was factory installed in at least some units, there is reference to it in the chassis section of my service manual, it was called a Tru Track Electric Sway Control, it says that it would momentarily apply trailer brakes in the event of an abrupt movement....and if it was working too much you had an ustable rig there was also an indicator light for the dash, other than that there is no information...FWIW it should have 3 wires coming out of it...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 12:19 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Eric,
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I too have enjoyed our PM's.
I try to post information that we all can use. I try to keep my posts relative to the topic as well. Considering, it costs money for everything we do to these bauxite boxes then that has been my forte'.
Ever since I became active on here again, I have received "fan mail" as a result of my efforts!
The axle topic has been important to me because I had put off buying one due to the expense involved. When I contacted Henry, he told me that he would have no problem supplying an axle for it. It would most likely be in the $300 range. That was well within my budget, so he got the business. Once I saw the quality of his work I figured I would share it with the forums. Now I want to let all of us share what we learn about axles, brakes and running gear. Nothing beats "pooled experience".
I thoroughly enjoy all of the interaction on here.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:16 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
henry

i'll have to ask my buddy to look and see if there is any identification left. it has been a while since i saw it, it could very well been tossed during the remodel.

my impression was that it used some sort of pendulum that swung side to side and completed an electrical circuit.

i wonder if a patent search would reveal anything?

john
John,

Is Aaron from post #36 your buddy, or just someone else familiar whit this device? I looked on the web for “Tru Track Electric Sway Control” and did not see much. This thing intrigues me . I have not tried the patent search yet, but I plan to.

Regards,

Henry
Old 05-14-2005, 07:38 PM   #39
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
John,

Is Aaron from post #36 your buddy, or just someone else familiar whit this device? I looked on the web for “Tru Track Electric Sway Control” and did not see much. This thing intrigues me . I have not tried the patent search yet, but I plan to.

Regards,

Henry

Hi Henry,
I am not the buddy John was refering to I have a 1975 31' that will be in need of your services...eventually. I have never seen the device, but I do have a 1975 Service manual that has the brief description in it. I will keep my eyes out for one, and if I can get my hands on one, I will let you all know. Maybe we can dissect it and see what it is made of From the description in the manual, I suspect it applied all the trailer brakes at one time to help reduce sway, kind of the same affect you would get by tapping the brake controller manual switch in the same situation.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
Axleman too has appeared to me to have some good info out there as well. I may be wrong, but Axleman is the person who did Lou's axle and I was impressed with the whole process.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:30 PM   #41
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
hey henry

i spoke with my buddy, bad news, not much left of the unit except for a terminal block with a couple of wires.

however, he remembers reading an article on the web somewhere about the units and the problems people had with them.

so there is some info on the units floating around the net, just a matter of finding it! i did a google search and came up with zilch.

john
Old 05-14-2005, 09:34 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Hi Henry,
I am not the buddy John was refering to I have a 1975 31' that will be in need of your services...eventually. I have never seen the device, but I do have a 1975 Service manual that has the brief description in it. I will keep my eyes out for one, and if I can get my hands on one, I will let you all know. Maybe we can dissect it and see what it is made of From the description in the manual, I suspect it applied all the trailer brakes at one time to help reduce sway, kind of the same affect you would get by tapping the brake controller manual switch in the same situation.

Aaron
Aaron,

That is very interesting . I would love to see a sample, keep me informed if you manage to locate one. Sounds line an ingenious gizmo. I should have known that with this huge community of folks on the forum two people (at least) might have seen one .

Regards,

Henry