Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-13-2005, 07:14 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
I do have some concerns about my axle replacement on the Argosy 20 though.
First of all, can an ActiBrake unit be mounted in a small space? How big is this unit? I do not have a lot of space on the front tongue of that trailer and I would like to go with the disc brakes and the ActiBrake unit. That trailer is heavier and wider than my Minuet. I am also planning on taking it into the mountains. I would feel better if it had the disc brakes on it.
Thanks.
Lou,


Here is the installation manual for the Actibrake . www.activetech1.com/actibrak/brakesystem/install-man04.pdf

When paired with the Kodiak disc brake system, I can tell you from experience, you will have a winning combination . The manual is written in a simple but detailed format. If you still have questions after reading this let me know I will be happy to gather additional information.



Regards,

Henry
__________________

__________________
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:04 AM   #16
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
Lou,


Here is the installation manual for the Actibrake . www.activetech1.com/actibrak/brakesystem/install-man04.pdf

When paired with the Kodiak disc brake system, I can tell you from experience, you will have a winning combination . The manual is written in a simple but detailed format. If you still have questions after reading this let me know I will be happy to gather additional information.



Regards,

Henry
Henry, since we are talking disc brakes again, why (besides cost) couldn't ABS be offered with the disc brakes? With the hydraulic system in place, all you would need would be a tone ring and pulse generator for each wheel, an accumulator, and ABS module and controller. A SWAG (scientific wild a guess) would put the additional cost at around $600-900 more, for up to two axles, using more-or-less off the shelf components.
With new Airstreams costing $90,000+, that would be a drop in the bucket, an they could then most likely be touted as the first travel trailers in the world with ABS.
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:18 AM   #17
Site Team
 
, Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,940
Images: 59
Along with ABS, how soon will 'Trailer Stability Assist' be available.

I have read that Continental Teves is working on a system that will detect trailer sway. The sytem would activate brakes on opposite sides to eliminate the sway. It might be available on the Toureg and Cayenne. Has anyone tried it?

No real info on when it would be available as aftermarket, or what it would cost. It would be nicer than hooking up the old dual cams.
__________________
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:22 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 432
Great Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Henry, since we are talking disc brakes again, why (besides cost) couldn't ABS be offered with the disc brakes? With the hydraulic system in place, all you would need would be a tone ring and pulse generator for each wheel, an accumulator, and ABS module and controller. A SWAG (scientific wild a guess) would put the additional cost at around $600-900 more, for up to two axles, using more-or-less off the shelf components.
With new Airstreams costing $90,000+, that would be a drop in the bucket, an they could then most likely be touted as the first travel trailers in the world with ABS.
Terry,
GREAT QUESTION!



Let me do some research on this topic. I shoot straight, if I donít know something I fess up about it . We donít design brakes, disc or other, we install them. However, I do have some great contacts with trailer brake manufacturers and I will lean on them.



Answer to come! Please stay tuned to this network for updates as they become available .



Regards,

Henry
__________________
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:04 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Along with ABS, how soon will 'Trailer Stability Assist' be available.

I have read that Continental Teves is working on a system that will detect trailer sway. The sytem would activate brakes on opposite sides to eliminate the sway. It might be available on the Toureg and Cayenne. Has anyone tried it?

No real info on when it would be available as aftermarket, or what it would cost. It would be nicer than hooking up the old dual cams.
C.T. is working on that right here in Auburn Hills, MI. They have a huge testing facility.
I keep forgetting that I have a trade publication that is distributed here in the Auto Capitol of the World. One copy I have has a blurb about this in it. It has a couple drawings and stuff in it too. I will dig around my office and get it scanned. It is going to revolutionize trailer towing. At least that is what they say in the article.
If there is interest in this article I will see what I can find out. I have a friend that is working on a different project at C.T. He can get more information.
__________________
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:06 AM   #20
Rivet Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,183
ABS would rock.
Terry has it pegged for what would be needed.
Let's design and build our own!
NAH! It is more fun to camp in them than it is to work on them!
__________________
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
till's Avatar
 
Lisle , Illinois
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,270
Images: 108
Blog Entries: 2
Talked to Henry today.
Looks like I will be draggin one of the old Ambassador axles out to him for a little "copy" magic.
I like this whole thing very much Karma for you, Lou when I am allowed again.
__________________
Tedd Ill
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:44 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,183
Thanks for the kudos, even if you cannot give me karma!
Once he has an Ambassador axle that will make it much easier to make even more of them!
I have a lot of faith in Henry AND Axis Products. I think I have stumbled onto something good for all of us.
__________________
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:57 PM   #23
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
C.T. is working on that right here in Auburn Hills, MI. They have a huge testing facility.
I keep forgetting that I have a trade publication that is distributed here in the Auto Capitol of the World. One copy I have has a blurb about this in it. It has a couple drawings and stuff in it too. I will dig around my office and get it scanned. It is going to revolutionize trailer towing. At least that is what they say in the article.
If there is interest in this article I will see what I can find out. I have a friend that is working on a different project at C.T. He can get more information.
If it can be done, it would eliminate all manner of towing-related problems. It could virtually eliminate sway, increase tire life, as the tires would not get flat spots from skidding and have to be replaced, there would be almost no more jacknifing issues, towing during slick weather would be much safer.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:04 PM   #24
Site Team
 
, Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,940
Images: 59
Lou,

Really would like more info on the C.T. system in the Toureg. I assume it detects sway at the back of the tow vehicle, and applies just enough alternating brake action (on the tow vehicle, not the trailer) to counter the sway. Works in conjunction with dynamic vehicle stability system that is getting more and more popular.

What I'd really like to know about are the Electronic brake systems that use a DC positioner to actuate brake caliper. Can you find out from your friend when they will be available? I know they will need 42Vdc, so it may be a few years or more.

Thanks. Sending you some K.
__________________
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Lou,

Really would like more info on the C.T. system in the Toureg. I assume it detects sway at the back of the tow vehicle, and applies just enough alternating brake action (on the tow vehicle, not the trailer) to counter the sway. Works in conjunction with dynamic vehicle stability system that is getting more and more popular.

What I'd really like to know about are the Electronic brake systems that use a DC positioner to actuate brake caliper. Can you find out from your friend when they will be available? I know they will need 42Vdc, so it may be a few years or more.

Thanks. Sending you some K.
Thanks, buddy! I will return the favor.
I did not work this week. Had some personal time I had to burn before the end of the month. I will dig around in my office tomorrow. It was back a few months ago that I came across the article.
I am going to be seeing my buddy sometime next week. I have an appointment next week at C.T. and I will being doing lunch with him. I will hit him up then. Be sure to remind me as I will forget.
__________________
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:15 PM   #26
Site Team
 
, Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,940
Images: 59
Lou,

Here is the web site: http://www.conti-online.com/generato...2_0602_en.html

The first item (EHB) is similar to the Actibrake device. What i'm interested in is the time horizon for the Electro Mechanical brake (EMB), the second item.

Thanks again.
__________________
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:21 PM   #27
Rivet Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,183
I will check into it next week, partner.
It is a cool idea, you know?
__________________
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:35 PM   #28
Site Team
 
, Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,940
Images: 59
Imagine what you could do if the trailer brakes were fully integrated with the tow vehicle, and a yaw rate and lateral g' sensor? All you would need to do is flip a switch on the dashboard!
__________________

__________________
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.