Old 11-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
axles and brakes info needed

We need brakes on our AS since the original hydraulics were taken off. We spoke to the RV center just up the road from us and they can put new axles and hubs/brakes on but to even get us a quote they wanted the information as to size/manufacturer from the hub plate and the axles.

Can anyone tell me this information? There is too much surface rust to be able to read anything under there.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
Do a search on axles, brakes, etc. There is information there that will surpass your ability to stay focused on it. From the age of your unit, I would give serious consideration to replacement axles, which will be complete, since they retrofit you speak of would be pretty high in cost. You can find Inland RV's test by doing a search on this forum, that will answer most any of your questions. If you are handy with tools, you can do it yourself and save MAJOR dollars.

WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
you can call andy at inland RV for direct axle replacement, he can probably give you a quote with the info you have. if you want to save some money look into ordering a dexter axle.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
if you order from dexter, you'll save about 50%, but you'll have to do some measuring underneath it. it's not complicated, and when i ordered a few axles last spring, they had an order sheet to help the process. be SURE you tell them the direction of the bracket. it should go the opposite direction from the arm, which should be a 22.5 down angle. when i did mine, i think i posted pics of it on here somewhere. it's been a while!

count on a full saturday, and have a friend. those axles are awkward at best. my buddy threw out his back getting his in.

roll your trailer up on one axle (on blocks or whatever), remove the old, replace, then roll the trailer up on teh new axle and repeat. MUCH safer than trying to jack the trailer off the ground.

good luck! made a huge difference for us!

jp

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:37 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
I hoped to have a local company install the whole thing; from new axles to new brakes, if I can afford it. If I was near Andy I would have him do this in a heart beat! If it turns out to be too much money, and my hubby thinks that he can do it, then we'll call Andy anyway and order them from him.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:39 PM   #6
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
it should run you about $1K (+/-) for 2 axles, including shipping, if you can get it delivered to a company address. i wanna say my single axle was around $480.

jp

Old 11-15-2006, 06:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
find a local company that sells dexter axles as they can install them for you as well. it would be helpful if they were familiar with airstreams, but not absolutely necessary.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
...it would be helpful if they were familiar with airstreams, but not absolutely necessary.
I'm uneasy about that statement. The degree of torsion arm's original down-angle can not be determined by looking at a worn out axle.

In response to original statement of "There is too much surface rust to be able to read anything under there", I used a wire brush on the load plate, then rubbed chalk over the stamping to get my axles' rating.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AxleRating.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	28662  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:57 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
jp
Sorry to be so ignorant about this, but do they come with the hubs and electric brakes and everything? And how hard would it be to wire the brakes?
Old 11-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaroam
jp
Sorry to be so ignorant about this, but do they come with the hubs and electric brakes and everything? And how hard would it be to wire the brakes?
Sorry you had the best braking system removed and went to the electric brakes.

The hydraulic or disc brakes as some call it, are far superior to electric brakes.

You can order new axles without brakes, or with electric brakes, or with disc brakes.

If you previously removed all of the disc brake setup, then you lost the actuator, which was behind the LPG bottles.

If that's the case and you want disc brakes, then you would also need to install the new type actuator.

Several choices are available.

Wiring the electric brakes if you had the Airstream disc brakes, must be added to the trailer.

The steel brake lines for the original disc brakes may still be there, in which case the disc brakes would be easier to install, but you would again have to also add the actuator.

Andy
Old 11-15-2006, 07:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaroam
jp
OK you have heard about the Dexter axle hassle, it can be done by you but if you make a mistake in your measurements you just ate the cost of the axle. The Henschen axle option is fairly painless, but it will cost you more. Any shop can change the axles out for you in about 1 1/2 hours of shop time per axle and that is with 2 coffee breaks and a lunch. When you order your replacement axles make sure you buy the complete axle it comes with new backing plates electric brakes and new drums, also make sure you replace the shocks at the same time. The shocks cannot be replaced without bending the shock mount with the axle in place. Not a real big deal to replace the axle with a floor jack to roll the axle around and get it into place. Check www.inlandrv.com for further information on the axle that came with your trailer originally.

Good Luck
Old 11-15-2006, 08:32 PM   #12
7xp
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Santa Maria , California
wannaroam, I have a 1978 31' Excella 500. It came with disk brakes and a Hydro-Vac bracking system. I think this system was standard for the Excella in 1978. When you say the original hydraulics were taken off, do you mean that you don't have any brakes? I know that some people have had trouble with the Hydro-Vac system (I think some replacement parts are not available), so they replace this system with either an Actibrake or Dexter system which are electric over hydraulic instead of vacuum over hydraulic. If this is what the P.O. did, they are supposed to be good systems. I sure would not want to replace the disk brakes with drum brakes. Good luck on your new axles and brakes. I'm going to have to change out my axles soon. I will probably get mine from Inland, but I'm sticking with the disk brakes.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:47 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
At this point we have no brakes. The PO tore some of the system out including the acuator and the air tank, and whatever else - I have no idea.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:49 PM   #14
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
my dexter axle came with electric brakes. it stops plenty good enough for me on our 24 foot trade wind. not sure about the heavier units, though.

jp