Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Since Dexter is used by Airstream on the trailers, I guess they will fit and work well. Give Dexter a call and get the correct information you need. Many people have installed them and had no problem.

Marie
Old 11-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
Here's the deal:

If you are not that mechanically inclined, you call Inland Andy and give him the serial number of your trailer. He then gets you a new set of axles made by Henshen (the OEM maker of all the older ones) and they bolt right in. You will pay a little more for this convenience, but they are guaranteed to fit.

If you are tight for cash and pretty inclined in all things mechanically, then go to the Dexter website and see what dimensions they require to make you an axle. You will get it cheaper than Andy will give you, but if you mess up, it's your loss.

That being said, in general, here is what you want: You want the big axles with the big 12" brakes. But, you want to DERATE the rubber torsionrods to whatever the weight of your trailer is. So let's say you have a '77 Excella 500 31 footer and it weighs 7000lbs gross weight. OK, so you have two axles; 7000lbs divided by two equals 3500lbs per. Let's say you load her up pretty heavily....so add 200lbs to it. So now your gross weight is 7200lbs....that means 3600lbs per axle. You call up Dexter, tell them you want the heavy duty axles with the big 12" brakes, but derate the rubber rods to 3600lbs. You also need to give them accurate information on the bolt pattern of how the axle mounts.

Again, if you are not up to this, I recommend you call Inland Andy and he'll hook you up. True, you pay a little for his expertise, but that payment can go a long way.

But, if you can do all the important measurements yourself, you could save a little by ordering them directly from the manufacturer yourself.

Best of luck whichever way you go, and I hope to meet you on the road some day.
Jim I know this post is dated back to February so I was wondering are you sure Dexter will derate their axles as you suggested. I have a similar problem budget is a concern so buying Henschen axles may not be possible. But I don't want to go to 10 inch brakes. Infact I just want to buy a bare axle and transfer my backing plates to the axle. But I need a five bolt plate for my 12 inch brakes. I have heard that they will not derate axles but maybe I have heard wrong. I also wonder what they do to derate the axle I sure don't want a 4000lb axle on my 74 overlander it would really tear up things. Any way thanks inadvance for any input you or others can provide. One last thing I would kind of like to go with a 30 degree down angle don't know if Henschen axles have that option.
ronsgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I just ordered a new set of Henschen from Inland, and they will be set at 35 degrees. It is my understanding that this is the current "standard" setting.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:36 AM   #24
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
just to de mystify somethings said here.

A 1962 Globetrotter only has one axle...
No one makes a 1962 replacement axle that just bolts in...
A utility trailer is not a travel trailer...
Henchen axles do not simply bolt on to all years. Thought they sure fit perfect on some...
Reading a tape measure is not rocket science...
The actual measurements are not all that different within the various eras...
If you measure correctly, and order correctly, and the size is wrong, you are not "stuck" with them.
Reading a tape measure is NOT rocket science...
Some axle dealers will say 10" today is as good as 12" in the day. 12" brakes today are better than 10" brakes today, and better is just better...
If you really want to stir things up on this Forum, mention axles...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
I just ordered a new set of Henschen from Inland, and they will be set at 35 degrees. It is my understanding that this is the current "standard" setting.
Say Aviator I see your trailer is a 1997 is that what you are getting your axles for? Seems kind of premature to need axles already. Did you choose to go complete with brakes and drums? That's good they are doing 30 degreese start angle that should get ground clearance up just a bit.

Ron L
Old 11-10-2010, 05:17 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsgto View Post
Jim I know this post is dated back to February so I was wondering are you sure Dexter will derate their axles as you suggested. I have a similar problem budget is a concern so buying Henschen axles may not be possible. But I don't want to go to 10 inch brakes. Infact I just want to buy a bare axle and transfer my backing plates to the axle. But I need a five bolt plate for my 12 inch brakes. I have heard that they will not derate axles but maybe I have heard wrong. I also wonder what they do to derate the axle I sure don't want a 4000lb axle on my 74 overlander it would really tear up things. Any way thanks inadvance for any input you or others can provide. One last thing I would kind of like to go with a 30 degree down angle don't know if Henschen axles have that option.
This sounds very similar to what I was doing to my '74 Overlander this time last year. I too wanted "cheaper" than Henchsen. I went with Axis. So far I'm happy. They customer made everything to my spec. except for one thing. That one thing was the hole spacing on the mounting plate. Stock on a '74 is 9". The "industry standard" today is 8" and neither of the centers are exactly on the same center as the ol' Henschens. So, I had to do some not-so-fancy drilling / milling / grinding but eventually I was able to get the bolts in correctly and the axles have worked wonderfully for the last year. FYI on my axles: 3000lb cap. each, 22.5 degr. down, 5 bolt plate for 12" brakes which I swapped over from my old axles. I did all the work alone in my yard and/or driveway with common tools and a set of automotive ramps.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
And How!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
just to de mystify somethings said here.

A 1962 Globetrotter only has one axle...
No one makes a 1962 replacement axle that just bolts in...
A utility trailer is not a travel trailer...
Henchen axles do not simply bolt on to all years. Thought they sure fit perfect on some...
Reading a tape measure is not rocket science...
The actual measurements are not all that different within the various eras...
If you measure correctly, and order correctly, and the size is wrong, you are not "stuck" with them.
Reading a tape measure is NOT rocket science...
Some axle dealers will say 10" today is as good as 12" in the day. 12" brakes today are better than 10" brakes today, and better is just better...
If you really want to stir things up on this Forum, mention axles...
Well put!
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I'm very happy with my Dexters from Redneck Trailer Supply here in Colorado. Total cost for the 2 EZ-lube axles with 10" brakes was around $800, and about a days work was needed to swap them. I tow with a 3/4 ton Suburban with a beefy transmission and big brakes, and feel very safe and secure with this set-up. I suppose if your tow vehicle was less substantial the importance of having the bigger 12" brakes in the trailer might be greater. Modern Airstreams of similar weights to my 72 Overlander come with Dexter 10" axles, just fyi. Do the research and then upgrade your older AS with new axles, you'll be glad you did. -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
Ron L,

Yes it is rather premature to replace the axles on our 1997 trailer, but it is necessary. My in-laws purchased the trailer new after they had a wreck with their new 1996. After towing for a couple of years between Penn Woods and Travelers Rest with stops in between with their three daughters, they parked the trailer in Penn Woods around 2000. Towing a 34' was too much they said. At the same time they bought a Franklin trailer for use in Travelers Rest and spent the next few years driving between the two places.

This meant that the 9000+ pound Airstream just sat without any exercise for the rubber rods in the axles for about 9 years before we started using it. The lack of movement ruined the axles.

The good part is that Andy at Inland was able to set me up with a new set of 3500# axles, fully assembled with 12" brakes. It was going to cost big $$ to ship from California to Georgia where we live, but the Henschen production is starting back up in Elkhart, IN. I told Andy that we were going to be at my sister-in-laws in Indianapolis for the Thanksgiving holiday and he is arranging pickup at the factory for me to save the shipping $. As an added bonus the rubber rods in the axles couldn't be "fresher". The new axles will also give me about 3" of increased clearance over the frozen axles currently on the trailer.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Old 11-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Just ordered a set of Dexters for my 77,3500# with upgrade to #11 spindles,my brakes and hubs don`t have over 1,000 miles on them so they will get installed on new axles.
Ordered 22.5 degree,reversed flanges,price was $316.20 each. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
773,500#? That weighs more than the 777 I drive! What kind of trailer do you tow and with what?
2009 Ford F150 5.4L

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Old 11-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
This sounds very similar to what I was doing to my '74 Overlander this time last year. I too wanted "cheaper" than Henchsen. I went with Axis. So far I'm happy. They customer made everything to my spec. except for one thing. That one thing was the hole spacing on the mounting plate. Stock on a '74 is 9". The "industry standard" today is 8" and neither of the centers are exactly on the same center as the ol' Henschens. So, I had to do some not-so-fancy drilling / milling / grinding but eventually I was able to get the bolts in correctly and the axles have worked wonderfully for the last year. FYI on my axles: 3000lb cap. each, 22.5 degr. down, 5 bolt plate for 12" brakes which I swapped over from my old axles. I did all the work alone in my yard and/or driveway with common tools and a set of automotive ramps.
That's sounds like just what I need though I might up the axles to 3500lb cap. I also want to go 30 degr down instead of 22.5. I would like to swap my breaks over as well as they seem to be in pretty good shape. Did you look into Dexter at the time and what made you choose Axis just currious. Do you remmeber about what you paid and I imagine you had to pay shipping as well. Sure adds up in a hurry. Okay thanks for the info and you take care.

Ron L
Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Placerville , California
Dexter directly or distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
Just ordered a set of Dexters for my 77,3500# with upgrade to #11 spindles,my brakes and hubs don`t have over 1,000 miles on them so they will get installed on new axles.
Ordered 22.5 degree,reversed flanges,price was $316.20 each. Dave
That's sounds like a good deal. Did you deal directly with Dexter or did you go with one of their distibutors?

Ron L
Old 11-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
That's sounds like just what I need though I might up the axles to 3500lb cap. I also want to go 30 degr down instead of 22.5. I would like to swap my breaks over as well as they seem to be in pretty good shape. Did you look into Dexter at the time and what made you choose Axis just currious. Do you remmeber about what you paid and I imagine you had to pay shipping as well. Sure adds up in a hurry. Okay thanks for the info and you take care.

Ron L
I forget now, but there was someone on here that was singing the praises about Axis when I decided it was time to buy (make sure you search on the Airforums here for "axle" threads, there's MANY of them). I looked at bare Henschens from Andy and then I checked with Axis. Axis was really willing to work with me even to the point of shipping. I had the axles drop-shipped at a local Estes freight terminal. I just had to go there with my flatbed trailer and they loaded the pallet right on to it and away I went. All told it was around $500 including shipping. I never investigated Dexter because in my mind it was either Henchen or anything else. I'd be willing to guess that a Dexter axle vs. an Axis doesn't look much different unless they use different color paint.

I must say that I am happy with the performance of the axles and I am happy overall. But there were times where I was cursing repeatedly, banging with large hammers, and even considering a blowtorch during the install process. At the time, I didn't own a blowtorch (now I do). Maybe that was a good thing. I did get it done with minimal tools and no undue destruction (and a few evenings of just stopping to calm myself). I learned some things along the way. If you can pony up the $ for bare Henschens from Andy, go for it. Your axles will be done in a day, not weeks. But you'll have a few hundred $ less in your pocket.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
773,500#? That weighs more than the 777 I drive! What kind of trailer do you tow and with what?
1977 Overlander,3500# axles.Dave
Old 11-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Quote:
That's sounds like a good deal. Did you deal directly with Dexter or did you go with one of their distibutors?

Ron L
Used Redneck.Dave
Old 11-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Quote:

Ron L
Dexter,your choice is 22.5 or 45,with axis axles you can get about anything.
Dave
Old 03-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #38
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
?

Any updates to this thread?

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Any updates to this thread?
Ten inch brakes instead of the original 12 inch brakes???

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #40
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Ten inch brakes instead of the original 12 inch brakes???

Andy
That's an update?

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote