Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
fredericktown , Ohio
axles 1970 Streamline

i dont own an airstream, its a 1970 streamline countess 27'. in pretty good shape. i have a question on the axles. i have an offset, very wide 4 lug pattern pair of leaf spring axles. the camper sits a little low, pulls great,took it to bristol this weekend for the race. now thinking of down the road when brakes wear out, should i upgrade my axles to more modern? or run these til cant run no more?? i can do the work myself but if i dont have to spend extra money i wont. are these type axles still common? are parts still available? thanks guys for any help.Click image for larger version

Name:	camper12.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	77632

[ATTACH]77Click image for larger version

Name:	camper12.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	77632633[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper in bristol.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	77633  
basstrackerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
That looks like a standard trailer axle to me. Unless it is bent or has a really bad rust problem, you shouldn't have to replace it. You could probably go to any trailer shop for a new one when the time comes. Check with a custom boat trailer manufacturer, they will have all the weight rating info, etc. Modern axles have either a 4 inch offset or none. If yours is different, you may have to make some modifications in order to get a new axle to work.

If you keep the old axle, there may come a time when you will have to replace the hubs and wheels in order to get new tires. Obsolescence is a PITA sometimes.

Personally, I like the leaf springs and would just replace them if they get to sagging too much. You should be able to get new springs at a spring shop. I've known guys to have good look at Toledo Spring in Toledo, Ohio, if you can't find a shop locally.

You should also be able to find brake parts at either a local auto parts store (try NAPA first) or trailer store.

If I was in your situation, I would replace the springs, paint the old axle with POR-15, check the brakes and bearings, and keep on rolling.

Good luck,

Woody
Woody.303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by basstrackerm View Post
i dont own an airstream, its a 1970 streamline countess 27'. in pretty good shape. i have a question on the axles. i have an offset, very wide 4 lug pattern pair of leaf spring axles. the camper sits a little low, pulls great,took it to bristol this weekend for the race. now thinking of down the road when brakes wear out, should i upgrade my axles to more modern? or run these til cant run no more?? i can do the work myself but if i dont have to spend extra money i wont. are these type axles still common? are parts still available? thanks guys for any help.Attachment 77632

[ATTACH]77Attachment 77632633[/ATTACH]
The axles look ok.

Some of the brake parts are no longer available.

You can upgrade the brake system with new "backing plates," which is the complete brake system.

You should repack the bearings and change the grease seals.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
fredericktown , Ohio
ok. thanks. i did pack the bearings before my trip to bristol and noticed the shoe linings were cracked just slightly. if complete backing plates are available and some grease seals i will do that first. you say i can buy new hubs with a diff bolt pattern? the hubs on it now are a very wide 4 bolt hub and road side are left hand threaded lug studs. rims are very hard to find for this style.yes the axles look good was just worried about parts replacement. you say NAPA has parts? andy do you carry the backing plate complete upgrade? thanks for the help guys!

Bill
Old 03-30-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
ok. thanks. i did pack the bearings before my trip to bristol and noticed the shoe linings were cracked just slightly. if complete backing plates are available and some grease seals i will do that first. you say i can buy new hubs with a diff bolt pattern? the hubs on it now are a very wide 4 bolt hub and road side are left hand threaded lug studs. rims are very hard to find for this style.yes the axles look good was just worried about parts replacement. you say NAPA has parts? andy do you carry the backing plate complete upgrade? thanks for the help guys!

Bill
Bill.

What are the bearing numbers?

We carry the backing plates.

Andy
Old 03-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
fredericktown , Ohio
one more question, my camper has a gvw at 4330lbs. i have made it somewhat less by removing most of the older appliances and bad copper plumbing and using newer lighter things. now according to the trailer guy down the road i have 2 6000lb axles under it now. if i want to replace them can i use 3500lb axles? that should be enough to pull this all aluminum camper.or not?
Old 03-30-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
one more question, my camper has a gvw at 4330lbs. i have made it somewhat less by removing most of the older appliances and bad copper plumbing and using newer lighter things. now according to the trailer guy down the road i have 2 6000lb axles under it now. if i want to replace them can i use 3500lb axles? that should be enough to pull this all aluminum camper.or not?
I wouldn't do that.

In your case, the spring ratings must also be taken into consideration.

Remember, when the trailer hits bumps, the weight can mutiply.

I would not suggest anything under 4000 pounds each.

More importantly, why do you want to replace them??

Andy
Old 03-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
fredericktown , Ohio
well alot has to do with price.from what i have found the backing plate assembly for each is about $67.00 plus shipping.then you have grease seals,and maybe new bearings, and my drums may be warped some since there is some brake vibration while applying manual brake over ride for trailer only. cant find drums anywhere. did find some used 10 inch x 2 1/4 but no 12x2 inch. axles in my opinion can be a lifeline to pulling your camper.it worries me that parts are unavailable.so just add up the cost of the parts $300 for backing plate assemblys with shipping, grease seals at 6.95 each there is about $30.00,machining drums IF they can be about $15.00 each.so there is between 350 and 450 in parts and machining drums.i can buy 2 3500lb axles with springs,brakes,drums,5 lug and grease buddies for $570.00 delivered. after that have a standard 5 lug trailer pattern which i believe is ford car pattern also.then put my axles on ebay and get some of my money back. so am i making a mistake? i have talked now to 4 trailer companys and they all have said 3500lb axles would be more than plenty. thats why i have asked similar questions on here, the guys with the rv answers. thanks alot have a great day

bill