Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to airstreamDreamer2
axles?

please humor a blonde but how can you tell if an axel is bad on an argosy?
airstreamDreamer2
airstreamDreamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 01:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up There's several way`

Not to worry..I've been practicing all my life, humoring blondes..lol
There's several excellent ways to get an 'idea' about the condition of axle.(not axel)...
First, go to this website...read~InlandRV
Click on the section about axle..
Here's another site~Dexter
Secondly, there's a "general rule" that, if the top of the wheel is below the body of the wheel housing area..Then, it may well need to be replaced.
Of course, age has a factor as well..I don't think the argosy were being built prior to 64, so that in itself shouldn't be a factor.
Outside of those simple things, you then get into the mathematical aspects.
All of which can be further researched on here by looking under axle, replacement of axle, general comments along that line,etc.
You can also look at the pictures of my unit in the photos section for an example of what's considered to be good axles..
Here's the link to that:53FC wheels`
How we doing?
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 03:54 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
In general - it's probably resonable to assume that any argosy or airstream you find from the seventies will need an axle replacement , if it hasn't already been done. Axles seem to last about 25 years. The good news is that it's easy to do and you can do it your self with some jack stands and a floor jack (rent or borrow if needed). We love our argosy and every time we take it anywhere we are asked for tours, tales and if there are any more for sale.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 04:28 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to airstreamDreamer2
yeah my hubbie and I are looking for an argosy. We keep finding decent tailors, but the bank won't finance anything under 1990. So it's a saving we go.
airstreamDreamer2
airstreamDreamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 05:45 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamDreamer2
yeah my hubbie and I are looking for an argosy. We keep finding decent tailors, but the bank won't finance anything under 1990. So it's a saving we go.
You may want to check with Rog (rog0525) on the forum. He has, or had, a nice looking Argosy he was wanting to sell. I have forgotten how much he wanted, but it was reasonable.
Terry
Old 06-16-2004, 06:12 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
In general - it's probably reasonable to assume that any argosy or airstream you find from the seventies will need an axle replacement , if it hasn't already been done. Axles seem to last about 25 years. The good news is that it's easy to do and you can do it your self with some jack stands and a floor jack (rent or borrow if needed). We love our argosy and every time we take it anywhere we are asked for tours, tales and if there are any more for sale.
Note: Andy Correct me if I am wrong:

In 1974 there was a change to the rubber inserts that were used in the DuraTorque axles. If you are looking at any trailer 1974 or older it could be a candidate for an axle. The PO (prior owner) may have replaced the axle, but you need to calculate the possible costs to do an axle in your hunt. You are not assured that a post 74 trailer will not need an axle, but it is less likely based on the PO usage. Follow the advice on the inlandrv site regarding how to tell if your axle is bad.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 06:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
thenewkid64

Brett.

Absolutely correct, on the 1974 on back axle issue.

However, someone said that the rubber rods are good for about 25 years. "That is not true."

If it was then there would be many 1979 and older trailers with bad axles.

What is true, is that if the trailer will be parked for a long time, most of the weight should be removed from the axles. That will allow them to return to there original starting angle, to rest.

If the weight is not removed, any year axle will settle, and therefore in time, become defective.

Most people buy an Airstream product to use it. The axles love you when you do. They (the axles) like us, must have some exercise once in a while. If we don't, we ultimately suffer because we didn't. The same basic thing happens to "any" rubber rod axle, regardless of manufacturer or the kind of equipment it may be on, from boat trailer, to farm implements, to Airstream trailers (Argosy too).

We have replaced many axles on trailers 10 to 50 years old, because they stayed parked for years on end.

As Mr. Favor use to say, "Head em up and move em out."

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 03:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Correct me if I am wrong

I didn't think you are a blonde?????