Originally Posted by air-jake
Thanks guy's, I've learned more about my AS on this site in two weeks than I have since I bought it 14 yrs ago!
I'm planning to convert my AS into a mobile kitchen so I will have tons of questions.
#1 Am I insane???
There is a way to get started, that you can do on paper.
Don't spend any money on anything for that Airstream, until you do the following.
1. Make a detailed drawing of how your going to place each piece of equipment.
2. Estimate the weight of each piece of equipment.
3. Make sure that you keep at least 55 percent of the weight, forward of the axles.
4. Calaulate the total weight so that you can purchase the proper axle rating.
Use the equipment weight, the trailer weight and the pay load weight.
5. The big project is to open up the bottom of the rear end shell, so that you can beef up the shell to floor to chassis attachment.
(b)FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN REAR END SEPARATION.(/b)
5. Depending on your overall weight, you might need to add the axle mounting "beef up" plates.
6. If you attempt to wild guess of how to do the huge change, you will be wasting a lot of time, and money.
We have made many conversions over the years like you plan, but I shut my service department down about 1 1/2 years ago.
Making a huge converswion, is OK, BUT, start off on the right foot, so you don't waste any of your time or money.