Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bacliff , Texas
Axles

I just got a 1967 Airstream Overlander 26' that has been sitting on a farm for over 30 years.... Anyone have any ideas on what steps i should take to replace them?

It's probably "wishful thinking" on my part hoping that I can just put some tires on it and haul it closer to home. The trailer is in the Livingston, Tx area and I'm looking to bring it to either Bacliff or Alvin Tx so it can be closer to home for me to start working on it. It would be a 2hr haul to where I wanna move it.

It has 2 original tires on one side, but I need to put the other two tires and rims on the other side (which are there, just need to mount them).
huskygeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Honestly, unless the axles are collapsed to the point where the wheel well is below the upper edge of the metal part of the wheel, you can probably put reliable tires on it and tow it home unloaded without causing any problems, then change the axles at home with less stress and haste.

Be prepared to rewire the 7-pin umbilical connector, Airstream used a different pin-out than is the norm today, so if no one has changed it from that it won't work properly with your modern tow vehicle. For a trouble-free tow it might be worth taking some time to repack the bearings, even though you know you're going to put new axles on with new bearings after you get home. Bearing grease is cheap and it would be a big hassle for one to seize halfway home. If they spin smoothly and quietly you might take a pass on that, but you can always use the grease later.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I doubt the tires are original 43 year old tires. Look at the date code on the tires. If they are older than 6 years, they should be replace before you tow. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11
Look where the axles are supporting the frame to make sure nothing is rusted out. Make sure the A frame and hitch are not rusted out.
If the wheels spin freely when you jack it up, most likely you can grease the bearings and be ok to tow home, IF the brakes work. Not sure about Texas, but in NC it's illegal to tow that trailer without brakes.