Old 12-31-2010, 09:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
I installed the axle on my 65 Safari and purchased through Inland RV. Andy was very helpful with info and ordering specs. He arranged for me to pick it up at the factory saving us $200+ in shipping costs. My experience says you pay for what you get.
I agree, we purchased 2 for our 69 through andy and 1 for our 63 from Andy. You can't go wrong, you do get what you pay for.

LOOKING FOR A COUNTER HEIGHT KREFFT REFRIGERATOR!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
here a question: i know i need 3500lbs axles, i can take meassurements on the entire axle.. even make a cad drawing if i need to, what are the concerns on purchasing from an axle dealer, that is not familliar with airstream?
maybe you can answer this Andy ?

thanks
3500 pound axles, was not the original equipment rating on your Airstream.

Why do you want 3500 axles?

Andy

Old 12-31-2010, 10:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I also purchased from ANDY @ Inland Rv. He also arranged for me to pickup my axles at the OLD Henshen Factory around the corner from AIRSTREAM. He sent me the mounting hardware ,followed up by a phone call to check and see if I got them. Another phone call telling me what day I could pick them up with my truck.
My axles fit like the old ones that come out. PERFECT.
YOU WANT TA GAMBLE ??? ITS YOUR MONEY. I had other choices also. But Im not a gambler. So I went with Andy who has been doin this for years and can order axles for you,with your serial number. That way you know they will fit perfect. NO HASSLE.
My money's on ANDY .
This is not a paid advertisement.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I think all these posts pointing out the benefits of Inland's product list miss the point:

Inland sells a quality product that is guaranteed to fit. Lots of other companies sell products that can fit too. However, these products are either sold only through Inland, OR they're mired in an irrational "fear, uncertainty and doubt" FUDball of doom.

I find it amusing that you can go back through old posts and read how certain products are smeared and FUDded this way, until Inland secures exclusive distribution to this market, and suddenly it's all going to fit right.

I think we should collect standard measurements for all the axles we can, so that this information can be published and available, and any torsion axle maker can produce axles that meet the physical dimensions, load capacities and suspension characteristics of the "approved" items sold only by Inland RV.

And of course, the response will be testimonials from people who haven't actually installed a competitor's axle, and "well, can you ever be really sure?" FUD from the retailer with the highest margins. And in a few months, that manufacturer will start referring all orders to....the retailer with the highest margins.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
Is it just me or does Inland RV appear to have a monopoly on airstream axles that inflates prices?

Does anyone else find it odd that when an axle manufacturer sells to a forum member, within a few weeks or months, Inland RV releases a statement that they are now the official supplier and that manufacturer will refer all inquiries to Inland RV?

Is this a correct read of the current situation? Is it anti-competitive?
Axle manufacturers, love to deal with large numbers of orders.

They also do not have the time it takes to take an order from a retail customer, who, generally speaking, does not have the necessary specs to assure a proper performing or fitting of an axle.

They can waste hours, according to them, with a retail customer, which has a negative effect on their sales.

I have had, all the specs for many years, which save everyones time.

Of course, everyone is free to purchase axles directly from Airstream, if they don't mind paying $1200.00 each, plus shipping if necessary.

When any company provides a service to the majority, regardless of the product, that makes it much more feasible for the manufacturer.

The issue here David, is that many want to have a part of the action, but they don't have the data, experience or expertise, that assures a proper fit along with a proper rating, for each respective year and models, nor have they had or have a positive way for the Airstream owners to communicate with them. It's a matter of what has been done, that's been highly successful for a manufacturer, based on history and long term performance.

Why does Airstream, "not" sell to the owners unless they are in Jackson Center? They say it would be a monumemtal and expensive problem, as they learned the hard way, many many years ago. That's why they have dealers.

Everyone is free to make their own choice as to which way to go.

Please note the number of owners, who have posted positive results, for several years, about our axle program.

As you well know, as a business person, costs must be passed on, or else.

It would seem that you would prefer to buy a car or truck, direct from the manufacturer. I don't see that in our future.

Andy
Old 12-31-2010, 11:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
No thread on axles would be complete without a disagreement about Inland or Inland Andy.

Sorry we endorsed the company/individual you don't prefer, its just our experience and we're glad we can share that to other airstreamers.

I support Inland RV and the various other vendors that support airforums and its members whenever possible, even when it isn't the cheapest because I believe it supports the hobbie. Andy contributes a lot, I don't see that kind of support from Dexter, so Andy gets my business.

Anything will fit if you measure right or have a big enough hammer.

Happy New Year!
LOOKING FOR A COUNTER HEIGHT KREFFT REFRIGERATOR!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
I think all these posts pointing out the benefits of Inland's product list miss the point:

Inland sells a quality product that is guaranteed to fit. Lots of other companies sell products that can fit too. However, these products are either sold only through Inland, OR they're mired in an irrational "fear, uncertainty and doubt" FUDball of doom.

I find it amusing that you can go back through old posts and read how certain products are smeared and FUDded this way, until Inland secures exclusive distribution to this market, and suddenly it's all going to fit right.

I think we should collect standard measurements for all the axles we can, so that this information can be published and available, and any torsion axle maker can produce axles that meet the physical dimensions, load capacities and suspension characteristics of the "approved" items sold only by Inland RV.

And of course, the response will be testimonials from people who haven't actually installed a competitor's axle, and "well, can you ever be really sure?" FUD from the retailer with the highest margins. And in a few months, that manufacturer will start referring all orders to....the retailer with the highest margins.
David.

We are also guilty, of having parts for Airstream's, that no one else has on the planet earth.

Why?

Because I decided in 1966, to provide a service for Airstream owners, in the best way that I can.

Unfortunately, over time, some object to that. Or, of more recent, they want to get into that program, and often do, but usually by having a duplicate of the original part, that had tons of failures. Or, they get into it, only to find that it takes a huge investment of money, to do it.

We have over 400 pieces of glass for the 66, 67 and 68 trailers, in stock. That takes more than a couple of bucks. But, when we entered that program. we cut the glass prices considerably from the previous sole source.

You want axles? What dealer stocks over 100 of them? We "DO". That also, takes a few dollars, as well as space. WHY? Because we want to be of service to Airstream owners, as we have been for over 30 years.

Many dealers would like to enter a program, once someone else dived in and made it work. THEY, had the same opportunity, but no desire to stick their neck in the noose, to research it, and come up with a working program.

Also, please be advised, that no axle manufacturer duplicates what Henschen built. We do have that arrangement with Axis, as the Airstream replacement axles, are all special ordered, because they contain special specs, that include upgrades, based on experience and previous engineering feedback from Henschen.

But, as we all sometimes do, like to gripe about prices.

Some, will walk a mile for a beer, but most folks won't, as there is no guarantee that when they get there, their brand will be on ice.

We understand your seemingly bitterness, but I can assure you, as time goes on, that will happen to you many times over, when you own an Airstream.

Andy
Old 12-31-2010, 11:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
No thread on axles would be complete without a disagreement about Inland or Inland Andy.

Sorry we endorsed the company/individual you don't prefer, its just our experience and we're glad we can share that to other airstreamers.

I support Inland RV and the various other vendors that support airforums and its members whenever possible, even when it isn't the cheapest because I believe it supports the hobbie. Andy contributes a lot, I don't see that kind of support from Dexter, so Andy gets my business.

Anything will fit if you measure right or have a big enough hammer.

Happy New Year!
Amen.

Andy
Old 01-01-2011, 02:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Don't make this about an individual. I have deliberately not mentioned Andy and have stuck to saying "Inland" because it's a company, not an individual.

I recommend Inland for anything except axles - it can't be said I don't "prefer" a company, because I prefer a product and know if I am getting good value or not. Other people have different measures of good value than I do.

However, this thread isn't about value, or Inland, it's about axle choices. So, what are our axle choices?
Old 01-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
Andy,

my mistake on the weight. 3200lbs is correct ?

if i would go with a Dexter axle, plain, do you guys know, if my brakes would fit ? or if i decide to go with Dexter, do i need to buy with brakes.. but then will my wheels fit?
Old 01-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
I hope everybody has a good start into the new year.

before this threat gets totally out of hand, i think i need to say a word:

- all i need was a source for inexpensive axles.
- i know Andy has a perfect fit product, and knows more about airstream, than i will ever know. i respect this , as well as all his good information i been gathering.
- the problem is , that i have an Airstream with frozen axles sitting in the backyard, that im trying to fix, so i can go a little camping.
- if i would have the funds, Inland would be my first choice.
-At this point, if i would find a decent set of used axles, i would bolt it on.

so...
- i will try some leads that are mentioned here next week. hope to find a really good source and something I can afford.

and maybe someone here can come up with another hint
Old 01-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
Andy,

my mistake on the weight. 3200lbs is correct ?

if i would go with a Dexter axle, plain, do you guys know, if my brakes would fit ? or if i decide to go with Dexter, do i need to buy with brakes.. but then will my wheels fit?
Dexter will only use 10 inch brakes on 3500 pound axles or less. Therefore your brakes would not fit.

That to me, is not the way to do it, for a larger Airstream.

Also, your original hub and drums, are way out of balance, and should be replaced. That being the case, the new style brakes are superior to the originals as well. Then if you went with complete axles, you could also include self adjusting brakes. Or, you could also convert to disc brakes.

2 sets of 10 inch brakes offer 7000 pounds of brake, but only when the brakes are perfectly adjusted.

2 sets of 12 inch brakes offer 12000 pounds of braking.

That's a huge difference when safety is considered.

We have axles with 12 inch brakes, as low as 2600 pounds.

I would suggest you consider 3500 pound axles, with 12 inch brakes, or if you travel with a large payload, you can kick that up to 4000 pounds. Keep in mind, that over rated axles, can cause a problem, if not adequately loaded.

And, most importantly, make sure the running gear is properly balanced, or outfit the trailer with balancerd, such as the Centramatics.

Which way to go, of course also depends on your budget. Remember though, the running gear is what will get you there, and back, safely, depending on your choices.

Andy
Old 01-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Sub,

You may want to look at picking them up at the factory. Andy arranged this for me when I ordered mine in November. I picked them up just before Thanksgiving and saved close to the cost of an axle. The Axis factory is in Elkhart, IN. (and yes, they did bolt in without any modification at all.)

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote