Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Axle Weight Ratings

Hello all, it's time to order new axles for our 1976 Argosy 24. The stock axles are each rated at 2600lbs. Question, would you replace them with the same 2600lb weight rating or go up slightly to say a 2900lb weight rating? I know too stiff is no good, but what about a few hundred pounds up? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, George.
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiesel
Hello all, it's time to order new axles for our 1976 Argosy 24. The stock axles are each rated at 2600lbs. Question, would you replace them with the same 2600lb weight rating or go up slightly to say a 2900lb weight rating? I know too stiff is no good, but what about a few hundred pounds up? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, George.
Increasing the rating depends on what you want to do.

We usually increase yours to 3000 pounds, but for some owners who like to travel with more "stuff", we increase it to 3200 pounds.

In either case, we also supply those axles with 12 inch brakes, which is a substancial increase in braking power for your Argosy, over the original 10 inch brakes.

Simply providing the trailer serial number, gets you the correct axles, guaranteed. No down grades as some suppliers insist on.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I don't have my '74 Argosy manual right at hand. Do you? Figure that the axles should have the capacity to handle the trailer GVWR minus 11-13% allowance for tongue weight. 5200 pounds axle capacity sounds about right for the original configuration. Water in your fresh tank would subtract from payload but there was enough allowance for that anyway. We'd need to know the original curb (empty) weight & GVWR ... and still would end up with some of the same approximations.

Do you want or need the extra payload (load capacity) by beefing up your axles? The manual is written with air conditioning and a spare tire as an option; if your Argosy has both you'd need to figure that subtracts from payload too. It could help to build toward a modest increase in capacity.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Andy, thanks for the reply. I'll call for some prices. Question, when I measure my axle mounting plates on the trailer I get slightly varying measurements. The mounting plates are 61 1/2 inches apart at the front of the forward axle and 61 3/8 at the rear of the forward axle. The rearward axle measures 61 7/16ths between the plates. Do the mounting plates have a slight amount of give to them when bolting up the new axles?
Bob, the plates on the original Henschen axles state 2600lbs. Thanks.
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiesel
Andy, thanks for the reply. I'll call for some prices. Question, when I measure my axle mounting plates on the trailer I get slightly varying measurements. The mounting plates are 61 1/2 inches apart at the front of the forward axle and 61 3/8 at the rear of the forward axle. The rearward axle measures 61 7/16ths between the plates. Do the mounting plates have a slight amount of give to them when bolting up the new axles?
Don, the plates on the original Henschen axles state 2600lbs. Thanks.
Your describing a somewhat warping of the axle mounting plates.

That can happen in time.

We have all the correct specs on file.

Andy
Old 06-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1987 23' Sovereign
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Increasing the rating depends on what you want to do.

We usually increase yours to 3000 pounds, but for some owners who like to travel with more "stuff", we increase it to 3200 pounds.

In either case, we also supply those axles with 12 inch brakes, which is a substancial increase in braking power for your Argosy, over the original 10 inch brakes.

Simply providing the trailer serial number, gets you the correct axles, guaranteed. No down grades as some suppliers insist on.

Andy
Andy,

Do you usually increase the axle ratings for all your replacement axles. I've seen on another thread you would recommend an increase but of only 10%-15%. What is the reason for the increase above the original designed ratings in the first place?
jcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcramer
Andy,

Do you usually increase the axle ratings for all your replacement axles. I've seen on another thread you would recommend an increase but of only 10%-15%. What is the reason for the increase above the original designed ratings in the first place?
Axle rating changes are based, within reason, upon the individual customers needs.

It also depends on the year and length of the trailer.

10 to 15 percent is a guide line.

Andy
Old 06-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
When we replaced the axle in our Argosy 20, we stayed with the original 4500 pound rated axle, as it was sufficient for the little trailer, and we didn't want to beat up the contents. We got 3500 pound axles for our Sovereign, as it is a big trailer, and is loaded with everything, including the kitchen sink.
OEM spec for a starting angle was 22.5 degrees, but that was back in the day when most trailers were towed by the family station wagon. Today the family station wagon is a high-riding SUV, so the starting angle is recommended to be higher, to partly compensate for the higher ride level, and reduce the drop the tow vehicle's hitch needs to make the trailer sit level.