Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2016, 09:37 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Allegan , Michigan
Axle swap - belated report

I'd like to offer a few observations on the axle replacement I did last summer. Basically, it went as well as could be hoped for, and except for the shock absorber mounts, was without surprises.

I did the job in a garage with a 10 foot door and was glad it was that high; the trailer is now a few inches taller and it is a close fit. I put the trailer on jack stands and balanced the axles on a rolling floor jack to move them. (I think the axles are about 250 lbs each.)

The shock mounts on the axles are a tight fit. I removed them from the old axles and welded them on the first axle. Unfortunately, I then discovered it would not fit. So I had to remove the axle from under trailer and take corrective action: grinding and a little machine shop work. While the mounting brackets "looked" like they were in the same position I had to cut down the mounting studs to make them fit. I should have measured first.

The new axles did not have a grommet hole and clip for routing the brake wires. I made grommet holders from steel strapping and used zip ties.

On the road I checked lug nut torque at 75 miles - they all needed tightening. At 150 miles only one did; everything was OK after that.

Whit Nash
rwnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Oakdale , California
Thanks for providing the info. I plan on doing the same project on my 76' Safari 23' AS. Can I ask where you purchased the new axles?
Cperreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Allegan , Michigan
I ordered the axles from Colin Hyde and had them shipped to a friend's business. (He has a forklift which was a big help in unloading the pallet which weighed 520 lbs. Also, the shipping charges vary depending on the type of location, delivery truck etc.) The axles came from Indiana, a 150 miles away. Andy at Inland RV is in California and that may be a better choice.

Good Luck,

Whit Nash
rwnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:24 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Oakdale , California
Thanks for the advice. Even though I'm in California, I may still try Colin. A lot of AS forum members like the finished work from him. Seems to be less extra work.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I got my 3 axles from Inland RV. Had no problems at all. Andy is very knowledgeable regarding axles. JMHO. Chris
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:23 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cperreira View Post
Thanks for providing the info. I plan on doing the same project on my 76' Safari 23' AS. Can I ask where you purchased the new axles?
Before you do anything I suggest you Google Dexter Axles to find the nearest distributor to you. They can supply you with a Dexter catalog which is a real asset as it covers a lot of stuff besides axles. Using the catalog and measuring your trailer undercarriage you can design your axles yourself. Even if you plan to buy from Colin or Inland the info you gain will give you confidence. In fact, you can order the axles yourself from Dexter the way you want them.

I ordered from Inland because I had a small window of opportunity and Andy was able to give me a shorter delivery time than even my nearest Dexter distributor. His price was close to theirs and by picking the axles up from the distributor myself shipping was FREE. I figure I saved a few hundred to apply to the cost of having a local trailer shop do the swap for me.

One thing you need to know. If your replacement axle has the same load capacity as your old ones, the brakes may be smaller than original. That was a deal breaker for me with Colin. I wound up with a larger axle in order to keep 12 inch brakes. If you custom order from Dexter yourself, the larger axle can be de-rated to the load you want to carry. I don't know if Andy will do that or not. I wanted the larger load capacity in order to safely carry all our "might needs". Our '67 with full water, supplies and all our personal gear was actually pushing the limit on occasion.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:51 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
The Woodlands , Texas
I need to replace my two axles on my '83 Excella. I want the Dexter axels. Does anyone know someone in the North Houston, Tx area that can do the work?
Air83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
Before you do anything I suggest you Google Dexter Axles to find the nearest distributor to you. They can supply you with a Dexter catalog which is a real asset as it covers a lot of stuff besides axles. Using the catalog and measuring your trailer undercarriage you can design your axles yourself. Even if you plan to buy from Colin or Inland the info you gain will give you confidence. In fact, you can order the axles yourself from Dexter the way you want them.

I ordered from Inland because I had a small window of opportunity and Andy was able to give me a shorter delivery time than even my nearest Dexter distributor. His price was close to theirs and by picking the axles up from the distributor myself shipping was FREE. I figure I saved a few hundred to apply to the cost of having a local trailer shop do the swap for me.

One thing you need to know. If your replacement axle has the same load capacity as your old ones, the brakes may be smaller than original. That was a deal breaker for me with Colin. I wound up with a larger axle in order to keep 12 inch brakes. If you custom order from Dexter yourself, the larger axle can be de-rated to the load you want to carry. I don't know if Andy will do that or not. I wanted the larger load capacity in order to safely carry all our "might needs". Our '67 with full water, supplies and all our personal gear was actually pushing the limit on occasion.
Jacob

Thank you so much for posting this suggestion.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I was able to work with Andy at Inland RV. His staff ordered the axles I needed and had the built and shipped to Redneck Trailer Supply. I picked the up there, and it saved a ton of money on shipping.

The only down side was the shock mounting plates were not welded on. It would have voided the dexter warranty to put them on, so I did not. My trailer has a nice smooth ride, but it would be better with the shocks. I'm sure I'll add them at some later time.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Oakdale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post

Thanks for the info! This forum has been so valuable in getting first hand knowledge from folks like you who have, "been there, done that".

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-19-2016, 07:38 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Oakdale , California
Ordered the axles from Colin Hyde a couple weeks back. Looking forward to getting them installed this winter and working on a few mods. Neighbor was nice enough to lend me his shop for a few months to keep her dry...free of charge!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1479609506.672262.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	275665