Old 07-22-2008, 01:39 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Québec
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim kolhoff View Post
Just after putting the axels on, we went to Bozeman. I could tell whjen the backing plates were put on, they weren't adjusted. so I did that. One grabs a little, but not bad. They worked quite well in the Seattle rush hour traffic that we drove thru. Aside from the added UPS charge, the entire process with Andy and the boys went smooth as glass. Once you tweak yours up, they should be great. (I did have to change the trailer weather cover because of the about 3 or so inch lift to the AS.)
To: Jim Kolhoff
Mi Minuet "grew up" almost 5 inches with the new axle. I was able to re-installed the spare support that was left to me from the previous owner. It went under the trailer, in the front, and I now have enough ground clearance to use it instead of trying to find place in the Explorer for the spare tire... I will have to build another little step though or put longer "feet" to it te be able to enter the trailer easily... and I will also have to replace a few rivets that have not resisted the bad treatment from my previous axle...!!!

Old 07-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Québec
It looks like it will be fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim kolhoff View Post
Just after putting the axels on, we went to Bozeman. I could tell whjen the backing plates were put on, they weren't adjusted. so I did that. Once you tweak yours up, they should be great.
Thanks to you Jim:
I have tried to adjust the brakes... and while I have not yet done a test drive... they now look a lot better in my driveway... At least, I can feel them... Thanks a lot... As a (retired) veterinarian, I am used to fix animals... but brakes are different... and easier to work with...!!! At least... they don't bite...!!!
André

Old 07-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Ok I'm Back
I picked up my 3200lb axles at 2pm today. The bill of laden calls for 481 lbs for the pair NO PALLET. They set them on my flat with a towmotor. Hummmmm this is gonna be interesting. Think I better start eat'n my spinach.
Roger