Old 07-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
This is our 1965 Caravel on October 27th, 2002. We didn't know at the time that old axles were a problem. Had we known, we would have changed it and not had this problem.
We have cautioned and cautioned owners that the Caravel and Bami axles will fail, but when they do, it will never be in your front yard.

At this point, we are shipping replacements for them at the rate of better than one a week, and about half of that time, it's because the trailer is stranded because the axle failed.

Not what anyone really wants to hear, but the word needs to get out, big time, so that others don't suffer the consequences.

Andy

Old 07-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Andy, What was it about the Caravel and Bambi axles that make them prone to fail. Is it just the age, or were they undersized from the get go?

Old 07-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiesel
Andy, What was it about the Caravel and Bambi axles that make them prone to fail. Is it just the age, or were they undersized from the get go?
Andy is on vacation for a couple of weeks, but the spindles on the trailers were not large enough for the weight that was placed upon them.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
kingston , Washington
I ordered and receive axels from Andy and his folks. They were perfect fits. Also got the brake assemblies. They came strapped to a pallet. They were sent by UPS Freight. Something to remember. UPS charges $72 just for the privilege (?) of delivering to your residence - over and above the regular freight charges. So if you have a friend that has a business, have them delivered there and pick them up.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:28 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Potters , Idaho
Jim,
I wonder if you have a picture of the axles on the pallet. Was it a standard 4x4 pallet and did the axle hang over the ends? Were all the parts (bolts) there as promised. I will be dragging mine to Indianola as soon as possible and hope to moor a boat in the marina in front of the Inn.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoney View Post
Jim,
I wonder if you have a picture of the axles on the pallet. Was it a standard 4x4 pallet and did the axle hang over the ends? Were all the parts (bolts) there as promised. I will be dragging mine to Indianola as soon as possible and hope to moor a boat in the marina in front of the Inn.
I assure you that an axle that's about 7 feet wide, is going to hang over the side of a 4 foot pallet, no matter how you slice it.

Freight lines today, have the game. All consumers can do is cope the best you can.

Andy
Old 07-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Jim,
Here is a picture of the axles as we received them at my business by FedEx Freight. If I remember correctly they were not on a pallet. We put them on these to make it easier to move around with my forklift. The shocks and bolts were shipped earlier on another UPS shipment.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1410.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	932.2 KB
ID:	63987
Old 07-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Québec
Weight of axles...

Quote:
Can anyone tell me the actual shipping weight of 3200# Henschen axles with wheels and shocks?
It will depend on the size and if they have used some type of protection or not... I just received mine for an Argosy Minuet (so... shorter than others). I have the 12" brakes. It had NO protection AT ALL. It came slightly damaged (noted on the slip, at delivery), and missing an end cap and 4 nuts. It must have been dropped at some point (easy to see from the picture). I have installed it but have not used it yet. I hope nothing has been damaged "inside"... The weight on the delivery slip was 226 pounds. I was shipped directly from OHIO, where it was built, to Canada. I suggest that you indicate at time of purchase that you want your axle to be protected while being transported to your place. I never thought I would have to mention it. I thought protecting it would have been part of normal procedures...
André
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0208.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	63991  
Old 07-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
kingston , Washington
If I remember correctly, the axels were on a 4X4 pallet, banded laying caddy-cornered. They did hang over. I had also ordered the brake assemblies. They were individually boxed, one of the boxes containing the bearings and seals and bearing caps.. Another box containing the lug bolts and a can of bearing grease. Each axle had a protective cover over the ends of the axels. The races were already pressed into the hubs and on the axels. And the axle ends were greased to protect them. Andy and his boys did a good job of packaging stuff. EVERYTHING was there as ordered.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I am hoping for a pick order this week. I will try to remember to take my camera w/fresh batterys. The axles will be put on my truck at the factory.
I am hoping to document each step from pickup to installation.
Stay TUNED
Roger
Old 07-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Mont-Laurier , Québec
Lucky man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim kolhoff View Post
If I remember correctly, the axels were on a 4X4 pallet, banded laying caddy-cornered. They did hang over. I had also ordered the brake assemblies. They were individually boxed, one of the boxes containing the bearings and seals and bearing caps.. Another box containing the lug bolts and a can of bearing grease. Each axle had a protective cover over the ends of the axels. The races were already pressed into the hubs and on the axels. And the axle ends were greased to protect them. Andy and his boys did a good job of packaging stuff. EVERYTHING was there as ordered.
I also bought my axle from Andy, but it was shipped directly from the factory (OHIO)... I didn't have the same attention... I went on the road with the trailer today... While there is a sticker on the backing plates (?)that says that the brakes were adjusted... it seems that they don't perform correctly... they probably need to be adjusted by the owner... (!!!)... I will check that later today or tomorrow... I don't know if the damage that was done to the axle during transport could have hurt the wiring or the magnets or what... I will see... I will do everything I can, on my own, before complaining... but... your axle(s) was (were) certainly treated differently than mine...
Old 07-21-2008, 02:25 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Adore, As far as the brakes are concerned, I know that both Henschen and dexter have almost identical language concerning the break in of the new brakes. Something to the effect of 20-30 full stops from 20mph. Then adjust per the manual. This allows the shoes to wear in to the drums. Check your owners manual, it will explain it better in detail. George.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
kingston , Washington
Just after putting the axels on, we went to Bozeman. I could tell whjen the backing plates were put on, they weren't adjusted. so I did that. One grabs a little, but not bad. They worked quite well in the Seattle rush hour traffic that we drove thru. Aside from the added UPS charge, the entire process with Andy and the boys went smooth as glass. Once you tweak yours up, they should be great. (I did have to change the trailer weather cover because of the about 3 or so inch lift to the AS.)
Old 07-22-2008, 01:30 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Mont-Laurier , Québec
Brake adjustement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiesel View Post
Adore, As far as the brakes are concerned, I know that both Henschen and dexter have almost identical language concerning the break in of the new brakes. Something to the effect of 20-30 full stops from 20mph. Then adjust per the manual. This allows the shoes to wear in to the drums. Check your owners manual, it will explain it better in detail. George.
Thank you George. I will try that before anything. From the little ride, this afternoon, I could hear that the magnets seemed to do some work, but so little... almost no effet... I will try to find "the Trailer Brake Adjustment Procedures" from either one or the other of the companies mentioned above or search the forum...