Old 12-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmklawt View Post
I drove to Indiana today to Axis Products and picked up my new axles, OK there not new I had mine rebuild, cost less than $100.00 total but they gave me a deal for reasons unknown to me.
Said for 33 year old axles they were in very good shape except for the cords being shot so they put new ones in for me.

Also received a guesstimate of $600.00 for two new axles with 10" electric disc brakes and brake away, and somewhere under $1000.00 for two new axles with 10" hydraulic disc brakes, brake line kit, brake actuator and break away. Add about $20.00 per wheel for 12" disc and add $500.00 total for electric Hydraulic brakes. I also believe they told me $300.00 for a pair of axles without brakes.
They say they can build a direct replacement with correct mounting and shock support all you need to do is give them the information and with a little lead time you can bring your Airstream there and they will replace them for you.

My axles say 2600 pounds but they said the cords they pulled out, it was more likely 3200 to 3500 pounds they replaced them with the same length cords they took out.
The inner bar was an odd shape and not square which may account for the lower rating, just my thought.

Here's before and after pictures
Airstream never used "blue" colored "horizontal shocks."

Andy

Old 12-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #16
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
Andy

I agree the rust can be a problem and I take my chances having them rebuilt, but I am cheap and stubborn and I have never heard of a properly maintained one going bad, I say the axles are good for another 100 years, the cords maybe 15 years
My tires are also showing dry rot but being the stubborn bastard I am I will drive them until I see the ply's, why because I always have and have not learned my lesson yet.

The blue shocks are Monroe's put on by the PO, I have ordered the correct replacements from you.

On another note your people where going to see what you had left for bunk brackets but I have not heard back, could you check into that for me please.

bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy

I agree the rust can be a problem and I take my chances having them rebuilt, but I am cheap and stubborn and I have never heard of a properly maintained one going bad, I say the axles are good for another 100 years, the cords maybe 15 years
My tires are also showing dry rot but being the stubborn bastard I am I will drive them until I see the ply's, why because I always have and have not learned my lesson yet.

The blue shocks are Monroe's put on by the PO, I have ordered the correct replacements from you.

On another note your people where going to see what you had left for bunk brackets but I have not heard back, could you check into that for me please.
I will see what I can do about the brackets, as I will not be back in my office, due to knee replacement a few days ago.

I know I do have some, but they have been stashed away years ago.

I should make you aware that watching the position of your torsion arms, in time, as well as any possible damage to the trailer, would be a wise thing to do, because of the rubber rods that were used in your axles.

I don't have the engineering info in front of me, as I must stay home for a while.

Rubber rods are not measured just by length. There are other factors that determine their weight ratings, such density and a couple of other factors.

Thanks for your order.

Andy
Old 12-09-2008, 08:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I'm confused. The last word might have been that Axis no longer makes axles for Airstreams, but the original poster bmklawt has just clearly indicated that not only did Axis rebuild his axles for him, but they also quoted him prices on new axles.

Additionally, Colin from GSM has stated many times on the VAP (as recently as 2 weeks ago), that he regularly orders new axles from Axis for axle replacement for his Airstream customers.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, but I do intend to bring clarity to this discussion.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I think it may be that they'll take orders through a distributer like GSM?

I agree Marcus, last I heard they didn't want to talk to us buyers directly. Maybe the economy change is affecting a change? Where's Henry when you need him!
Marc
Old 12-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #20
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
It may or may not be true that they would not talk to buyers directly before.

They said they use to be part of, a division of, an offshoot of Dexter Axle (something like that) and are not anymore, maybe that is why they well work with us now.

He said they would definitely welcome a order from anyone for anything even Airstreams, its my understanding if you want axles for an Airstream or anything for that matter to be a direct bolt on replacement you will have to call and talk to them to make sure you get the correct mounting holes and shock support, you would also need to specify what drums you wanted if you want to use your original wheels, they said if I got new axles with disc brakes I would need new wheels.

He also stated they would powder coat or Ecoat them if I wanted, said powder coat would be about $20.00 extra.

I should have brought a tape recorder with me so I could remember everything.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:12 AM   #21
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
New back plates and drums

Here's the latest on my axles.
I ordered new Timken bearings and races from Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto ($89.00) delivered. Inside: race No. 25510 bearing No. 25580 or Set52, Outside: race No. LM67010 bearing No. LM67048 or Set6.
I was trying to find new brake shoes and read on this forum that a loaded back plate would probably be cheaper and they are. I was also looking for a place to turn the drums and the cheapest place I could find that would do the brake and magnet surface wanted $30.00 each.
I called Axis Products Main and they said they had back plates for $28.50 and drums without bearings for $38.50, so I pick the back plates and drums up last week on my way through Indiana.
I installed the back plates today and was beginning to replace the Chinese races with the timken's I bought earlier I found that the inboard bearings are the same but the outboard ones on the new drums are larger so some of the new bearing I bought will not work.
So I guess I'll have to spend so more money on new bearings, the bearings for the outboard side of the new drums are race No. 15245 bearing No. 15123 or Set43 about $50.00 form Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto.

I would have been better off buying new axles from Axis Products Main for $600.00

Here's what I have spent:
Rebuild axles...................$66.00
4, Back Plates.................$114.00
4, Drums.........................$154.00
Bearings..........................$89.00
S.S bolts for back plates...$17.00
Axle mounting bolts.........$12.00
4 sets new bearing...........$50.00
Gas to get to Indiana........$25.00
20 new lug nuts.................$??.??

Total................................$527.00

Old 12-24-2008, 08:09 AM   #22

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Here's the latest on my axles...I would have been better off buying new axles from Axis Products Main for $600.00
But it wouldn't have been nearly as fun!

Great Thread - Thanks a bunch
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #23
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
Standing on my own feet

Last week I thought I would replace the Chinese races in the new drums with the Timken ones I purchased, The inner one is the same but the outer one takes a larger O.D. bearing than was in the old Kesley Hayes drum.
I put in a call to Axis axles Axis Products Main and told them of my predicament and they sent me out 4 new outer bearings and also sent 4 new seals for free.
I packed all the bearings and when I when to install the inner bearing I found that Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto had sent one of the wrong size. I gave them a call and they had the new bearing on my door step at 10:00 am the next morning.
I had three of the drums installed last week and today I put the last one on and got the wheels mounted, I didn't measure the before height but I bet I gained 2 more inches of height with the rebuilt axles. I can see the top of the tire through the wheel well now.

Total cost so far $547.00 and I still need to get the wheels\drums balanced and alignment checked. The local Airstream dealer does neither, I'll have to find a truck stop and get the wheels balanced and I will probably end up at the Airstream factory for the alignment check.
If I had to do it over again I would buy new axles from Axis Products Main $600.00 for the pair and everything would have been included.

I only get about 3/4" of travel with the new torsion springs, I hope this is because there new and it's 15 degrees out, I have read on the forums there should be up to 2" of travel.

I also noticed after getting the wheels on that the rear axle is about 2" longer than the front axle, on the street side the rear wheel sticks out farther than the front wheel 1-1/8" and on the curb side 3/4". The axle is not a replacement either as the serial numbers on axles are only 3 numbers apart. It is also not because of tow in/out casper chamber, what ever it's called.

Here are some before and after pictures:

Old 01-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Last week I thought I would replace the Chinese races in the new drums with the Timken ones I purchased, The inner one is the same but the outer one takes a larger O.D. bearing than was in the old Kesley Hayes drum.
I put in a call to Axis axles Axis Products Main and told them of my predicament and they sent me out 4 new outer bearings and also sent 4 new seals for free.
I packed all the bearings and when I when to install the inner bearing I found that Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto had sent one of the wrong size. I gave them a call and they had the new bearing on my door step at 10:00 am the next morning.
I had three of the drums installed last week and today I put the last one on and got the wheels mounted, I didn't measure the before height but I bet I gained 2 more inches of height with the rebuilt axles. I can see the top of the tire through the wheel well now.

Total cost so far $547.00 and I still need to get the wheels\drums balanced and alignment checked. The local Airstream dealer does neither, I'll have to find a truck stop and get the wheels balanced and I will probably end up at the Airstream factory for the alignment check.
If I had to do it over again I would buy new axles from Axis Products Main $600.00 for the pair and everything would have been included.

I only get about 3/4" of travel with the new torsion springs, I hope this is because there new and it's 15 degrees out, I have read on the forums there should be up to 2" of travel.

I also noticed after getting the wheels on that the rear axle is about 2" longer than the front axle, on the street side the rear wheel sticks out farther than the front wheel 1-1/8" and on the curb side 3/4". The axle is not a replacement either as the serial numbers on axles are only 3 numbers apart. It is also not because of tow in/out casper chamber, what ever it's called.

Here are some before and after pictures:

There should be about 3 inches of travel, of the tires, from loaded to no load.

If not, the rubber rods are shot, not in your case, or they are the wrong length, or wrong composition.

If they are the wrong length, (too long), the wheels will not drop enough, because the rating of the axle is excessive, since the trailer weight will not load the axle correctly.

As an example, if the new rating is 5000 pounds per axle, the trailer weight will be a minimal load, instead of substancial.

The old outer bearing, LM 67048, was replaced years ago with the 15123 bearing.

The overall width of your axles should be the same, as before the rebuild.

Henschen quit the rebuilding many years ago, after they discovered that the inside of the square steel tubes, more often than not, were loaded with rust, which weakens the tube. Accordingly, the liability factor for them, became huge, since they could not offer any form of any type of guarantee, nor could the certify the quality of the steel tube, as being safe to use.

Andy
Old 01-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #25
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
stupid me

Duh, maybe I am not get the travel because between taking the axles off and putting them on I have gutted the trailer.

Andy will I be able to tell by looking at them if they where put together the same as when new, I crawled under there and looked where the tube enters the arm and I can not see the end of the tube. I would think if its out by an inch per side I would be able to see the end of the axle tube.

Axis also stated when I picked up the axles the old cords that where in there did not match up to the rating on the name plate, they thought it was closer to 3200 to 3500 pounds per axle. With the cords they replaced them with they rated the rebuilt axles at 3200 pounds. They also stated the piece that goes inside the axle tube was an odd shape, it was not square.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Duh, maybe I am not get the travel because between taking the axles off and putting them on I have gutted the trailer.
Could very well be.

A couple of dozen, "HEAVY" sand bags, would answer that question for you.

Or maybe a neighborhood gathering of 15 or 20 people.

Andy
Old 01-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
I think it may be that they'll take orders through a distributer like GSM?

I agree Marcus, last I heard they didn't want to talk to us buyers directly. Maybe the economy change is affecting a change? Where's Henry when you need him!
Marc
My thoughts exactly. I talked to an "RV customizer" last year about doing some mods to mine and he simply wasn't interested because the job was too small. Got a call last week, and he's totally changed his tune. Being lazy - and not having access to a wood shop - and not wanting to buy a whole bunch of tools, and having had time to do only half of the work myself.... well I think I'll just take him up on his offer.

Paula
Old 01-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #28
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
If memory serves me right this is what Axis said the torsion bar (if that's what it's call) looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1082.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	73610