Old 08-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #1

1972 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Axle replacement quote $$$

Hey everyone, we are new to the Airstreamed life and to this forum, but super happy to be living our dream!
My husband and I just bought a 1972 Overlander 27 and it will need a ton of work, which we are seeing as an awesome project to occupy our hands and curious minds.
The first priority is to replace the axles and we got a quote that seemed suspiciously overpriced. The shop wants $2200 for the whole job and that includes shocks, springs, straightening up the railer (it is listing now), etc.
If each axle plus parts would total about $1200 and they said it'll be 3 hours of labor, that means they are charging about $334/hour do do the job.
Is that a normal rate as far as Airstreams go?

Any help would be much appreciated!

---
Sonntags
1972 Airstream Overlander 27

Old 08-17-2015, 12:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
This trailer has the dura torque axles rather than leaf springs, correct? If it has springs my comments do not apply.

I have not done it, but that sounds like a very low price to me. Lots of places seem to charge about $1400 per axle. I do not think you can get 2 axles, bearings, and brakes for much less than that. Maybe I do not understand what you are saying?

Shop is going to buy the parts wholesale and sell them retail and then add labor at a flat rate. Sounds like more than a 3 hour job to me if they include hooking it up and test pulling it and getting it to work right.

Airstream, JC, will give you a quote. Colin Hyde will give you a quote and will also sell and drop ship the axles. to a local installer. But if you can get it locally for that I would go for it.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Sioux City , Iowa
$2200 is almost exactly what I paid. 2 complete axles, shipping from CA, and 8hrs shop time. Well worth it, if you ask me. Love my new axles.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

Just buying the axles will run you $12-1400 (for the pair). If each axle takes 3-4 hrs, then you are right about where you should be, at around $100-$125 per hour for labor. So the quote they gave you doesn't sound outlandish to me.

I would offer a couple of thoughts in addition. Unless you plan on going camping right away, getting the axles replaced isn't really a priority. You can do it any time. If you intend to do a "full monty" restoration (especially with a shell-off), then it might be a year or two before you put it on the road anyway.

Also, the axles involve some heavy lifting, and may seem intimidating, but they are one of the easier (most straight-forward) DIY jobs on a vintage trailer. You could save yourself some cash by tackling it yourself.

I'm curious to hear more about the cause of your "listing" trailer. Could just be smashed rubber rods in an axle, or a catastrophic frame failure.

good luck!
Old 08-18-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
Happy Camper

1973 31' Sovereign
2017 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to nipperguy
Paid $2200 last year for replacement axles--installed. Axles came from Colin Hyde. Have been very pleased.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
San Leandro , California
I am also in need of new axels and it is now next on my list. Can anyone recommend a shop in the San Francisco Bay Area? I've had one quote for $2800.00 plus another $300.00 per axel for shocks. To me, that is way out of live for a 73 Overlander.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Cool

Since you're looking, the factory service center MAY be of assistance (depends on day of the week and how the planets are aligned!). However, this MAY be of assistance: what does it cost | A&P Vintage Trailer Works | Repair Restore Update Vintage Trailers by A&P Vintage Trailer Works
Old 08-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Woodburn , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonntag View Post
Hey everyone, we are new to the Airstreamed life and to this forum, but super happy to be living our dream!
My husband and I just bought a 1972 Overlander 27 and it will need a ton of work, which we are seeing as an awesome project to occupy our hands and curious minds.
The first priority is to replace the axles and we got a quote that seemed suspiciously overpriced. The shop wants $2200 for the whole job and that includes shocks, springs, straightening up the railer (it is listing now), etc.
If each axle plus parts would total about $1200 and they said it'll be 3 hours of labor, that means they are charging about $334/hour do do the job.
Is that a normal rate as far as Airstreams go?

Any help would be much appreciated!

---
Sonntags
1972 Airstream Overlander 27
You do not say where you are located. Nevertheless, the Airstream Factory in Jackson Center, OH will give you a quote over the telephone. If your AS has tandem axles, and I suspect it does, $2,200 is not unreasonable providing the shop is competent to do the work.

Ask them for referrals of other AS owners for whom they have done similar work. Then contact those people and get their comments. I suggest a lot of caution with axles. Installations done correctly will give you years of happy service. Improper installation will be a waste of money and cause you to incur substantial expenses in the future.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Sounds like a good price, with the cost of the axles running gear and everything else in there. The difference of buying and doing yourself and having a pro do it seems like a small price to pay vs having to get the axles home move them around, possibly modify mounting plates to fit, raise trailer, remove/drop and move old axles, move and lift and install new ones, make sure everything is straight and true.
Are you doing it at the airstream dealer in salt lake?
If you want to call Colin Hyde to see what it would cost to get all the parts from him shipped to you then decide if the price difference is worth not having the hassle of doing all the work yourself.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:15 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Sonntag, when I bought my 1978 AS it had been frozen and needed some electrical stuff replaced. I took it a big RV dealership about 2 miles from my house they charged me almost $5000.00 for the work they did and nothing was done right ! plumbing was still a mess and the electrical was screwed up some switches put in BACKWARDS ! I went back and complained, Their comment was "Well why didn't you take it to Airstream then" so now I make sure if I need anything done on my AS I arrange to stop by CanAM RV on my way they are 4 hours away but since I'm usually heading past there on a longer trip it no big deal. I can set up and plug into power in their yard and they start work first thing in the morning and I know things are going to be done right, I will never get repairs done at a non AS repair place unless I can verify that they know what they're doing. The people who work on sobs may not be good on AS.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #11
camper collector

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Americus , Georgia
Yes go with Colin Hyde in NY
He ships the axle complete and guaranteed to fit in the existing holes.
I bought an axle complete and shipped for $900 it came to me (to a commercial address) complete with the angle I wanted new everything.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:27 PM   #12

1973 Argosy 24
follett , Texas
I had both axles replaced on a 1973 Argosy. At Young's trailer repair in Amarillo, Tx. The complete axles, brakes included. The cost was $475 for each axle. The total bill was a little over $1200.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Encinitas , California
You mentioned the drooping/ listing rear end, Just used a 20# sledge and 30 minutes with two guys pounding hard to straighten out one side. Sounds to me like these guys know what they are doing and have quoted a very very fair price! I was able to get the 2inch sag from the rear axel to the rear of the trailer down to 1/2" and was thrilled at that much success after so much hard labor. The right way to straighten the Railer "steel sub frame" Is to heat with an acetylene torch and add a reinforcing angle iron on the newly straightened sub frame.
From all the other comments I have seen on this issue you need to give the guys a big hug when they finish! Do the frame before doing any replacement of interior skins or cabinetry or you will have wrinkles in the new skins.
The AS name is Trouble, and it has lived up to it's name!
Old 08-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
Surprise , Arizona
We had the axles and brakes replaced on our 1967 International ambassador and it was about $1700. We had it done at a place in Ohio.