Old 06-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Loomis , California
Axle replacement on 1972 Overlander

We're going to have to change the axles on our '72 Overlander, but we're trying to spread out the work to limit the cash flow "geysers". Can we change the axles after we're done with the inside? Would it be significantly easier to do if we had that one over-the-wheel floor panel out? How hard will it be to remove the old mounting bracket (assuming we need to?) from the frame?

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Mounting brackes are welded onto new axles. I don't see why over wheel panel needs out. Axles are bolted into frame rails replaced from under trailer. You can do this at a later date pull trailer 1 axle at a time onto stack of 2/8 high enough to slide axles in & out block other axle so trailer can not roll this safer than jacking & jack stands that if they slip you could get crushed also put shocks on axle before raising axles. Be prepared to for bolts to be hard to take off. either grind off or break off [impact wrench or cheater bar on socket.] Do not worry about this as new bolts come with axle. ps. I am 80 yrs. old did this when 78 with no help so if you are handy do it. also will need floor jack to raise axles . If on gravel sheet of ply wood helps harbor freight has cheap dollys easier to roll under trailer. Any Q. you can pm me & I can help you verbally

Old 06-24-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
If the trailer is just sitting in your driveway while you work on it, then changing the axles might as well be the last thing you do. If you are pulling it down the road every weekend and doing your renovation at the same time, then you might want to hurry up and get the new axles on there so that you aren't risking damage to your trailer from towing it with a sagged out axle. Unless you remove the body from the frame and can turn the frame over, you will be pulling the axles from underneath--four bolts, and possible a little drilling, and you are done.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:51 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Loomis , California
Wow, thanks for the great tips! (Turns out that my wife was right on this one, so she gets to pick the wine...)

Shiny isn't going to move from the concrete pad on the side of the house until she's done, so there's no reason to rush into it, it seems. Guess it'll wait until we get the rest of it done.

Featherbedder, the reason the floor panel is coming out is that we figured it made sense to replace them all while we had it gutted. They're in fairly good condition, but we're not in a (huge) rush to get it all done, so I'd rather do it once, right, than have to tear into it again in five years. The back panel is a complete loss, so I'll have plenty of practice repairing them. (My wife isn't interested in doing a full off-frame job.)

Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Trailer work is a slippery slope, especially when you start using the phrase "do it right." My efforts to do it right led me to do a shell off, but I had a little bit of rot on practically every section of floor, and after dropping the bellypan, I realized the frame needed some serious repair as well. I wouldn't replace floor panels unless I had a reason to (ie., rot and damage), but if I was doing several, then I would do a shell off. The thing is, in order to try to replace a floor section with the shell on, you have to do pretty much everything you would with a shell off except drill out the bucked rivets and lift the shell. The advantage you have with a shell off, is that you can lift the shell with gantry frames, then use the frames to flip your frame, so that you can do all the rust remediation, repair work, and finally painting it top and bottom without ever ending up on your back. You can then install your floor, flip it and put in insulation, install tanks and belly pan, and then flip it back over to put the shell back on. The beauty of it all is the time you DON'T spend on your back under the trailer. I even did the final installation of my axle with the frame upside down.

good luck!
Old 06-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Loomis , California
Gantry Frames. Perhaps the most interesting part of this so far are all the new terms I'm getting to learn...

Looks like those suckers are *expensive* new. Perhaps craig's list.

Anyone know what the approximate weight of the frame + floor would be?
Old 06-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
You can build gantry frames out of lumber from your local big box store. Have a look at the following thread--shows some fun uses of the gantries and even has a diagram for building your own.

I have seen estimates that a shell the size of yours weighs in the range of 5-600 lbs. The frame probably close to 1000 lbs. I used two 1 ton chain hoists for the most part on mine, and I am sure that was overkill.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...on-115765.html

I'm not trying to sell gantry frames or anything, I just see various posters describing all the efforts they go through to replace floors without pulling the shell, and I just think they are doing it the hard way.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I just installed new axles on my 66 Trade Wind. It was a job, sure. The old bolts were rusty. The old bolts were trapped by the droopy axle and had to be cut off to remove them. The old shocks were stuck and hard to remove. I took the brakes and bearings off the old axles to make them lighter to handle.

I had to modify the slot the axles fit into, and drill new mounting holes in the frame plates. But trailers 1969 and newer do not need these modifications, so it should be a direct replacement making it easier. The axle and brake assemblies weigh about 200 lbs assembled. They are very awkward to lift. The heavy brake drums are hanging 10" behind the axle square tube. I made a wood pedestal to nest the axle ends over my floor jacks to keep them level while I jacked them into position.

Some guys can change them in a few hours, but I probably had over ten 10 hours in the project. The next one will go faster.

The new axles went on after the new belly pan was installed. The axles are kinda the first part off, and the last part on when doing a floor replacement.

David
Old 06-26-2014, 01:19 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Loomis , California
Thanks for the suggestions! About two hours ago, I took "10 minutes" to follow all the trails from the links you've all provided. (Not a bad way to spend an evening!)

It sure seems like doing a body-off is the way to do it, and all the pictures make it look down-right simple. (But I'm old enough and wise enough to know better... Now, if only I'd listen to myself.) I've started removing the belly pan, and found that the little patch on the bottom covered a puncture and a crushed crossmember in the frame. Lots of surface rust, but none of it (so far) looks to be more than skin deep. I suppose we'll find out in the days to come.

Seeing the wood plans for the gantries makes it seem a lot more tractable, though.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

May I ask who did you buy the axles from, and what pricing did you get? Shipping etc.
Thanks.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I got mine from Colin Hyde. He is very knowledgeable on all things Airstream and axles. He will need your year, model, and serial number to spec the replacement axles. Freight is common carrier, so you need a commercial address with a truck dock. I paid about $1300 for two axles with brake assemblies. I will use Colin when I replace the axles on my 86.

I'm sure Jackson Center or Inland can source axles for you too.

David
Old 07-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I second about Colin being on top of things. I phoned him told what yr. AS length strait bolt up no mods. Were shipped to my farm unloaded w/skid steer w/ forks so break on ship chgs. I am very happy w/him....
Old 07-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
Yes definitely go with Colin. The whole process couldn't have gone any smoother. Send him a check and about a month later your direct bolt in replacement axles arrive. Install time was about 1-2 hours per axle with new shocks and wiring up the brakes.

Ms. Streamy - 1971 Overlander Restoration Blog
chilipepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
These North Dakota boys are always beating us Minnesota wimps. It took me about 10 hours start to finish. Oh well, maybe next time. I guess I need to work smarter, not harder! My old boss used to say that.

David