Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Question Axle replacement - Dexter #10 w Disc brakes vs original

I just found out the cost of ordering 2 Dexter #10 axles with disc brakes and the actuator would be the same as ordering 2 standard replacement axles from Airstream.
My question is which set up do you feel would give me the best performance as far as breaking? Money speaking I would have to buy 4 new wheels and tires by ordering disk brakes when i have only 5 years on my present tires and 38 years on the rims. Where can I get a good price on 4 wheels and tires?
Thanks for your replies.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
That depends on what you are pulling, and what kind of brakes are on your TV.
Also Dexter torflex disc brakes are only available for the heavier axles on bigger Airstreams. I don't remember the exact weight but I was told they were not avialable for 2900# axles I need for my Tradewind. Also for lighter sprung Dexter axles the only option is 10" electric brakes. I know because I am ordering now. Dexter was very helpful in figuring out my specs.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Yes, Dexter does make TEN inch disks for their 3500 and under #10 axles.... they're just 5 bolt vs the 6 bolt on the #11 axles.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBern
I just found out the cost of ordering 2 Dexter #10 axles with disc brakes and the actuator would be the same as ordering 2 standard replacement axles from Airstream.
My question is which set up do you feel would give me the best performance as far as breaking? Money speaking I would have to buy 4 new wheels and tires by ordering disk brakes when i have only 5 years on my present tires and 38 years on the rims. Where can I get a good price on 4 wheels and tires?
Thanks for your replies.
We have the disc brake setups, that allow you to use the tires and wheels that you already have.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I think what Frenchburn forgot to mention is that the #10 axles that Dexter is making ONLY come with the #10 sized spindle, not the one that fits the 12" disks (is what I'm understanding from when I spoke to Dexter engineering 2 weeks ago). The #10 axle WILL fit disks... be that either Dexter, Kodiak, or Tiedown in the 10" size (with 5 lugs)... not the bigger 12" size (with 6 lugs). No one makes a 10" DISK with the 6 lug pattern. I THINK Dexter still makes a #10 with a 10" drum brake with the 6 lug pattern per their website.

Again, we need to know the size of the trailer..... AS uses the 10" drums on their 22 and 23 ft'r trailers... with a gvw of 6000 or so pounds. Each #10 axle is rated for 3500 max, so approx gvw of 7000 pounds?

I've been debating this decision as well. Better response with the smaller disks + new wheels or the bigger drums with OEM specs.

Marc
Old 05-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Thanks for your replies.
It's time to replace those tires anyway! Anything over 4 years on trailer or RV tires is a gift, and you are asking for problems if you try to get more mileage from them.......IMHO, of course!

It's not a mileage question, but rather one of age deterioration of the sidewalls.
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
...My question is which set up do you feel would give me the best performance as far as breaking?...
in terms of braking performance, there is no question disc far outperform drums...

on all parameters...stopping distance, fade, heat into the spindle, maintenance and so on...

here are 3 threads on this which mostly focus on newer units...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...kes-36335.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...kes-17343.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...kes-29208.html

but there are many others threads on the upgrade process, issues and performance on smaller old trailers too...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/sear...archid=1053352

including bambi class trailers...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ade-30441.html

still IF not towing much distance or on the downslopes or frequently, drums might be a better and reliable value.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have spent a lot of time in the past week talking to folks at Dexter. I'm not sure about #10 axles with 5 lug disc brakes but do know I was told by Dexter they do not make a #10 axle with discs. If I remember correctly I was told by Dexter the disc brakes that are available are rated much too high for my Tradewind. So I guess you will have to go back to Dexter to get the real poop for yourself.

Yes Dexter makes a #10 axle with 10" 6 lug drums.

The bottom line for me was for my 4200# Tradewind drum brakes do an effective job and disc brakes are a bit of overkill (no pun intended) I am also getting my #10 Dexter drum brakes for less than $800 delivered.

I also have 13" disc brakes on my TV to help me stop quick.

I'm phoning in my order tomorrow so you still have time to change my mind.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:47 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

wow, good response and information, thanks guys
First my as has 2800# axles now. 70 overlander
2nd, Andy, how much would be 2 axles with disc brakes and controller
3rd, #10 axles with 5 bolts disc are definitely available and shown on their web and were quoted to me yesterday.
4th, Marc, do u mean that AS supply their factory #10 axles with 10" brakes on some of their new assemblies now? I would think if they do that it should be ok for me also.
5th, Thanks 2air for the info. I am going swimming now but i'll check them out in a couple hours.
6th, Let me know what you end up doing Lumatic. I need to order very soon.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
FB - just look at Andy's site... all prices are there (well, you have to call to get shipping costs).

Yes, AS uses #10 axles with the 5 lugs on the 22 and 23ft AS's with 10" drums (have been since the 23ft CCD and International came out)....
Marc
Old 05-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
wow, good response and information, thanks guys
First my as has 2800# axles now. 70 overlander
2nd, Andy, how much would be 2 axles with disc brakes and controller
3rd, #10 axles with 5 bolts disc are definitely available and shown on their web and were quoted to me yesterday.
4th, Marc, do u mean that AS supply their factory #10 axles with 10" brakes on some of their new assemblies now? I would think if they do that it should be ok for me also.
5th, Thanks 2air for the info. I am going swimming now but i'll check them out in a couple hours.
6th, Let me know what you end up doing Lumatic. I need to order very soon.
You can change the axle rating from 2800#, 3000#, 3200# or 3500#, all at the same price.

Our disc brake kit, includes all the nuts, bolts, clamps and steel tubing that is needed, plus an instruction manual.

The rotors are 6 lug on a 5 1/2" bolt circle.

Total cost is $2200.00 which includes 2 axles.

Andy
Old 05-06-2008, 06:18 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Andy, total cost quoted includes the controller? Also any idea of shipping cost to 29642 area? Thanks
Old 05-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
it's cheaper to ship to a commercial location if you can.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy, total cost quoted includes the controller? Also any idea of shipping cost to 29642 area? Thanks
Generally speaking, if a motor freight line calls you and delivers to a residential address instead of a commercial address, you can add an additional amount of almost $105.00 to the freight costs.

Please provide a commercial address for your quote.

Fuel surcharges are at 32 percent.

And, it's getting worse, almost by the week.

The axles would ship from Ohio, and the disc brake kit would come from California.

We do not include a brake controller with the kit.

Andy
Old 05-06-2008, 11:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
It's time to replace those tires anyway! Anything over 4 years on trailer or RV tires is a gift, and you are asking for problems if you try to get more mileage from them.......IMHO, of course!

It's not a mileage question, but rather one of age deterioration of the sidewalls.
Agree. Why is that? We need a thread on it Lew if not already there.
We aren't Tony Stewart bitching about tire compound at Nascar but I'm about to start getting the hind end about this.
I lost the tread after two years, just flopped off for no reason. Maybe I did too tight of a turn and bent the sidewall coming out of a campsite. Since my 81 is going to a permanent site for awhile, I might limp it up there with just one new tire instead of replacing all four but I'm mad about ST tires right now and have other uses for them. I know, do the search.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:06 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Sorry Andy for my wrong question. I meant to say the actuator that convert from electric to hydraulic.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Sorry Andy for my wrong question. I meant to say the actuator that convert from electric to hydraulic.
Along with two axles, you receive everything that's in the photo.

Other suppliers do not include all the other parts that you will need.

We do.

Andy

http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/86200-...-brake-kit.jpg
Old 05-16-2008, 06:19 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Update; the axles been ordered. #10, 3300 lbs, with disc brakes plus the Electric/Hydraulic Actuator.
Now I am looking for 15" wheels with tires. My first internet contact (Tire Rack) does not have trailor wheels but can supply some marathon tires.
Anyone has any suggestions as where to shop for a complete package?
Most places I checked needs the vehicle type first.
Also, who would be a good supplier for the hydraulic lines as a kit?
Old 05-16-2008, 07:09 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Update; the axles been ordered. #10, 3300 lbs, with disc brakes plus the Electric/Hydraulic Actuator.
Now I am looking for 15" wheels with tires. My first internet contact (Tire Rack) does not have trailor wheels but can supply some marathon tires.
Anyone has any suggestions as where to shop for a complete package?
Most places I checked needs the vehicle type first.
Also, who would be a good supplier for the hydraulic lines as a kit?
Some wheels will not fit the Dexter disc brakes.

Andy
Old 05-16-2008, 08:22 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Try you axle dealer...they had a good deal on the lines here.
Marc