Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2015, 12:53 AM   #1

1976 31' Sovereign
Anchorage , Alaska
Axle replacement?

as a newby i was curious as to what the general consensus is on replacing original axels on a 1976 sovereign solely because of its age. The folks i purchased from had it sitting for 20 years and no idea of previous maintenance. Thx
Lbaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:55 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
you only get about 10-15 years of service out of them.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Contact Colin Hyde at Colin Hyde Trailer Restoration. He is a national distributor for the most popular axle for Airstreams (Dexter) and can help you select the exact set of axles tailored for your particular trailer and ship it to you or your installer. You won't find anyone who knows more about axles for Airstreams than Colin.

His screen name on the Airforums is Colin_H, his email is colin@colinhydetrailerrestorations.com and # is (518) 578-7772.

Here is his (rudimentary) web page:

https://sites.google.com/a/colinhyde....com/home/Home

Old 08-07-2015, 07:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Contact Colin Hyde at Colin Hyde Trailer Restoration. He is a national distributor for the most popular axle for Airstreams (Dexter) and can help you select the exact set of axles tailored for your particular trailer and ship it to you or your installer. You won't find anyone who knows more about axles for Airstreams than Colin.

His screen name on the Airforums is Colin_H, his email is colin@colinhydetrailerrestorations.com and # is (518) 578-7772.

Here is his (rudimentary) web page:

https://sites.google.com/a/colinhyde....com/home/Home

Colin sells Axis axles.

Inland RV sells Dexter axles.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Axle replacement?

Here is a guide to help you determine if you need new axles. Andy, with many years experience in repairs as a professional, frequently answers questions on the forum. I remember recently he said 25 years was the life of axles.

http://www.inlandrv.com/articles/dur...xle-92001.html
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:41 AM   #6

1976 31' Sovereign
Anchorage , Alaska
Thanks. Great information. Much appreciated
Lbaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
It's also beneficial for axle life to store the trailer unweighted, up in the air. Using a 4 ton floor jack and four 6 ton jack stands I put mine up in the air a few weeks ago to repack bearings, adjust brakes, replace tires, etc.

The best I can tell from the data plates on my axles is they are original (75). The torsion arms however are slightly positive (down). I measured wheel to wheel well before lifting, then again once it was up in the air, 1-7/8", so they don't meet the 3" guideline.

Out of curiosity, and because I'm still making minor repairs, I left it up inthe air. Two to three weeks later the wheel to wheel well measurement is 2-1/8" ... maybe the axle fountain of youth?

Towing empty it was fine. Next trip will be when we move and it will be loaded, so we'll see.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
I've been pondering axle replacement as well. My axles appear to be original (1979 trailer) and the arms sit at a neutral angle. It rides great even when loaded and very little stuff get displaced inside, if at all. I run D range tires at 60 PSI and my wheel wells are about 2.5" above the top of the hubcaps. I suppose I could gain some height with new axles, but the ride quality seems to be great as is.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I replaced the axles on my 1994, and couldn't believe the difference. On looking back only 1 year, when I had the 1976 Sovereign, those axles should have been replaced. After having a trailer that has had the replacement, the difference is tremendous. It is a major cost, but one that will pay dividends when you are towing, and help to extend the life of your trailer. Andy at Inland is a great source of information and product!!! Chris
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Bremerton , Washington
I recently purchased axles from Colin. After getting the old ones out and sitting it by the new to compare. I found that the mounting holes on the new were 8 inch center to center and the old was 9 inch center to center. Not sure how to complete? Drill frame? It also appears that the shock mount is about 1 inch out of the plane with the old and new. Will the grommets on the shocks allow for this much out of plane? Also the new axle is about 2 3/4 inch outside diameter and the old one is 4 inch outside diameter. This brings up the question of whether the new one is the correct rating?
Old 10-10-2018, 11:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallman View Post
I recently purchased axles from Colin. After getting the old ones out and sitting it by the new to compare. I found that the mounting holes on the new were 8 inch center to center and the old was 9 inch center to center. Not sure how to complete? Drill frame? It also appears that the shock mount is about 1 inch out of the plane with the old and new. Will the grommets on the shocks allow for this much out of plane? Also the new axle is about 2 3/4 inch outside diameter and the old one is 4 inch outside diameter. This brings up the question of whether the new one is the correct rating?
I would contact Colin before doing any thing as axles pur. from him should be strait bolt up if you told him what AS you have. IMO you rec. wrong axles as I never heard any one say axles were dif. than strait bolt up. Also I would not accept these axles, IMO they are wrong for you AS.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:22 PM   #12

1968 26' Overlander
Toledo , OH
I too purchased axles from Mr. Hyde. I gave them all the dimensions and information as requested. After patiently waiting 4 weeks and I was expecting accurate custom built axles but instead received axles that were over 1" too long and the shock brackets that were mounted 2" off. I was first told to try to make it work. I've requested that he revisit the poor fit with the manufacture but still have not heard back. Has anybody out there ever mounted axles that were an inch too long and reduced clearance? And has anybody out there ever cant the shock stut by 2"?
dabdoo is offline   Reply With Quote