Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2016, 07:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Milford , New Hampshire
Axle Replacement, 1 or 2?, DIY or shop??

One tire on my AS is totally shot. Hit a curb last year after a truck cut me off.
Checked bearings- good
Checked brakes- OK not dragging, releasing fine
Alignment- out 5/16" with rear tire (thanks Howie E)

Is it possible that the axle shifted that much in the slotted bracket to cause the problem or is it more likely bent?

If it is the axle I spoke with Colin Hyde and have several options:
replace 1 axle, replace 2 axles(normally done ), replace with good used axle(quickest option).
I am leaning toward just 1 new axle since the AS only has approx. 10K miles and shouldn't need axles for a while.
Now for the tricky part. How hard is it to replace myself? Looks like a lot of grunt work, not technically difficult.
I only see 4 bolts holding the axle to the frame with a slotted bracket. Alignment ?
NHdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:11 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
1) If the axle is damaged the most likely the spindle is bent.
2) If the axle mount is bent you are in for some excitement.

DIY axle replacement has been done by many people if not hundreds of users. So you are correct it isn't tricky. Typically the most difficult part is removing fasteners. (Shoot with penetrating oil days in advance) No alignment typically needed unless #2 applies.

>>>>>>>>>>Action.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
If you order from Colin make sure you have the manufacturer weld in studs for the shocks. I helped a friend do this job today and we had to remove the old shock studs and weld them to the new brackets. They should have come from the axle factory this way.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote