Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Haughton , Louisiana
axle removal

Hello everyone! I need advice on the proper way to jack up and block my 29' Ambassador so that i can remove the axles for replacement.I have been spraying PB Blaster on the bolts to help in the process.The axles have negative angle so i know they're shot besides its a 1973 model.I was also wondering how many inches higher it will probably sit with the new axles,because my shop door is only 10' high and at the moment it fits in with about 6" to spare and if i put the new axles on in the shop will i risk it not clearing to pull out.Any helping advice on this task would be much appreciated.Thx
captlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
Removing air from the tires should give you enough clearance to get it out.
It probably won't need it at 6", but play safe.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
axle removal

Make ramps using 2"x8"'s.. Pull one axle on to the ramps change the other axle out. Then reverse the process to do the other axle.
It is much safer than using jacks and jack stands. The coach can't fall off of it's own tires.
Don't forget to loosen the lug nuts before rolling onto the ramps.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
I used the tong jack, two frame jacks two sets of supports. The idea of redundant jacks and supports. Inland and others says to jack between the axles, the idea is the frame is exposed there and you will obtain the lift where you need it.

I put a floor jack near where the new axle will go, and then roll in the new axle on a piano dolly. In that way the axle not being dragged and when transferred to the floor jack can be maneuvered and and raised by the floor jack.

I like removing both axles because it is a perfect time to get a good coat of paint on and add some undercoating too. I found two of my inside wheel well frame supports were pitted all the way through, so I repaired all four at the same time by sistering new material to the old. Easy to do with the axles removed.

We had a negative angle too, and with the new higher downward angle, I don't believe the trailer raised 6". I can measure for you if you would like to know what we have now.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
From 0 angle to 32 degrees down you'll raise your trailer about 3 inches.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:49 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Just finished changing my axles. The new axles I got from Collin are 3700 lbs and 32 degrees it raised my trailer 2.5 inches.

Now as for lifting the trailer to install the axles I used two rapid jacks from Anderson hitch and left the trailer hitched up to my truck. It worked great, the worst part of the job was using a sawzall to cut off the old bolts.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:09 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Haughton , Louisiana
I thought of that but really wanted to take both off at once and repaint and to also have more room work, that will be the go to easiest option and safest for sure and i can still paint one section at a time,Thx very much.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:10 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Haughton , Louisiana
axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpletKay06 View Post
Just finished changing my axles. The new axles I got from Collin are 3700 lbs and 32 degrees it raised my trailer 2.5 inches.

Now as for lifting the trailer to install the axles I used two rapid jacks from Anderson hitch and left the trailer hitched up to my truck. It worked great, the worst part of the job was using a sawzall to cut off the old bolts.
I dont know if you recieved the previous reply i sent you?I think i goofed up and it didnt go thriugh,anyway,How long did it take you to get your axles in from Colin after you ordered them? And what kind of information did he need/ i was wondering if i had to pull both axles out and take detailed measurements for him or what?
Old 08-25-2016, 07:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
New axles on my '89 25' Excella raised it 3".

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Make ramps using 2"x8"'s.. Pull one axle on to the ramps change the other axle out. Then reverse the process to do the other axle.
It is much safer than using jacks and jack stands. The coach can't fall off of it's own tires.
Don't forget to loosen the lug nuts before rolling onto the ramps.
Absolutely do NOT FAIL to use SUPPORT STANDS, regardless of whether you leave an axle in situ. The increased load on the one axle/wheels, while logical, ...is not foolproof, and although unlikely, that single axle/wheel combination can fail under the increased weight. Also be certain to CHOCK the remaining axle to avoid rolling.

ALWAYS use support stands.

Leaving the trailer connected to a vehicle is also poor practice unless the vehicle is LOCKED, CHOCKED, and DISABLED.

Sorry to be the safety-nut. But if it can go wrong, it might. (4-yr old nephew once started the standard-transmission truck with a cousin beneath the trailer releasing safety-chains from the loader. Cousin was injured in his haste to get from beneath the trailer, and the entire rig shot down the hill in reverse and ran into a tree wiping the open drivers door around to the front fender. Amazingly the 4-yr old was unhurt.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
It took about 6-7 weeks for the new axles to arrive. As far as info about the axles I got everything needed off the vin plate on my trailer.

And yes the tv was disabled and chalked.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote