Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
Aluminum Addict

Gastonia , North Carolina
Axle Questions

I was fortunate to find a 2002 AS Classic Excella 28' trailer. The inside is immaculate, due to very little use by the previous owner. My question concerns the axles. This trailer was stored indoors and not used due to a health problem of the owner. I began using this trailer and have made several trips. The last trip, to Myrtle Beach, SC I noticed the contents of my trailer had been tossed about, more than normal. Are the axles possibly failing on this coach due to non-use? I did replace the tires, and have the hubs, wheels, and brake drums re-balanced at a truck tire specialty shop I trust.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Check out the other threads about axles...there's plenty to read...

I wouldn't think your 2002 AS would have an Axle problem, especially being an 'indoor' rig...buy you're right, those things were built to be 'flexed' on the road once in a while...

I think if you take a peek at the axle 'levers' to see their angle relationship to the frame, you can get an 'idea' of their remaining elasticity...IE, if they still point in a 'downward' position, you should be OK...and in such a recent trailer, I would think they would have lots of 'spring' effect left in them...non use shouldn't have that much effect on your rig, unless there was some extreme temperatures involved.

Our 30 year old AS's axles still had elasticity, but had 'settled' over the years, that I replaced them.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heirstreamer View Post
I was fortunate to find a 2002 AS Classic Excella 28' trailer. The inside is immaculate, due to very little use by the previous owner. My question concerns the axles. This trailer was stored indoors and not used due to a health problem of the owner. I began using this trailer and have made several trips. The last trip, to Myrtle Beach, SC I noticed the contents of my trailer had been tossed about, more than normal. Are the axles possibly failing on this coach due to non-use? I did replace the tires, and have the hubs, wheels, and brake drums re-balanced at a truck tire specialty shop I trust.
Non use of loaded torsion axles, is not a good thing.

We have already replaced axles on 2006 units. Parked for an extended period of time, without removal of much of the weight, causes the problem. Stored inside or outside doesn't matter.

The following article will help you check them out yourself.

Dura Torque Axle

You should also see about 3 inches of the tire, above the top of the wheels.

You can also jack up one side and observe how much the tires drop. They should drop about 3 inches. If not, then the rubber rods have solidified.

If the rubber rods are gone, considerable road shock is transfered to the shell and it's contents. Continued use, causes many other problems, including structural.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
"I began using this trailer and have made several trips. The last trip, to Myrtle Beach, SC I noticed the contents of my trailer had been tossed about, more than normal. Are the axles possibly failing on this coach due to non-use? I did replace the tires, and have the hubs, wheels, and brake drums re-balanced at a truck tire specialty shop I trust."

Sounds to me like the problem started after you had it serviced. I would start with that and make sure all the tires are balanced, who knows maybe a weight fell off. Your axle could be bad but it just doesn't go bad between trips. It may have taken a set but doubt if it could dry out that fast, either way it's easy to check.

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Ifihadtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:47 AM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The load rating of your tires and the pressure you run on could be a factor too. Most tire places pump them as high as recommended and easing a few pounds off can make for a much softer ride. I probably should not have state that, for it is sure to bring about heated debate.

Your weight distribution system might also be too heavy for that rig, creating a very stiff ride.

It could also be the axles, but I definitely will refrain from comment on that.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:23 AM   #6
Aluminum Addict

Gastonia , North Carolina
Ron, I wasn't clear on when I replaced tires and balanced the running gear. All of the service work was done BEFORE I ever began using this trailer. Even though the tires had plenty of tread from non-use, their date of manufacture was in mid '01. I could NOT take a chance of damaging the body with old tires that may be dry rotted from the inside. As far as the torsion arms "look" when loaded for my travels, the arms are in a neutral position, horizontal with the frame. Thanks for your responses.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Hierstreamer
Our axle arms were also parallel with the frame when loaded. I pulled it up on 2 /2x8's and found that the axle arm was still parallel with the frame. We experienced Fridge door open,closet doors open, Sheared the rivets on the mirror mount on the bathroom door.
My Axle rubber was solidified. The axles had no flex at all.
I changed in AUG this yr. I replace them with OEM axles but just a little heavier than the original. Pm me Id be glad to share who my axle supplier was.
We gained 4 inches in height and are now showing the tops of the tires below the edge of the wheelwells.
I did the replacement myself without a problem. OH did I mention Im 70 yrs old.
Good Luck and MERRY CHRISTMAS
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote