Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-17-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Navarre , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 35
Axle Question - '75 Tradewind

I'm In need of some help/friendly advice on axles. My Tradewind still has the original axles (2600 lbs) and it's time they get replaced. The previous owner upgraded (within the last 2-3 years) to new 12" self adjusting brakes brakes w/new baking plates, shoes, and magnets and also replaced the shocks. bearings have been repacked and have new seals. Why all this work was done instead of just ordering two new complete axle setup's beats me but it is what I'm left with.

I'm nervous about screwing up the measurements when placing my order, but besides that, what else do I need to take into consideration to ensure a correct fit If I'm just replacing the current axle with a bare axle and not a complete setup? Its all foreign to me..
__________________

__________________
Rsmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
wkerfoot's Avatar
 
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,667
Since you want to stay with the 12" brakes, you will need to order an axle from Colin Hyde. Inland, I believe, only handles Dexter which won't make an axle for your trailer which has 12" brakes. No measurements are needed, only the decision on weight capacity. Unless you have the low profile brackets which will require enlarging the bolt holes.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmied View Post
I'm In need of some help/friendly advice on axles. My Tradewind still has the original axles (2600 lbs) and it's time they get replaced. The previous owner upgraded (within the last 2-3 years) to new 12" self adjusting brakes brakes w/new baking plates, shoes, and magnets and also replaced the shocks. bearings have been repacked and have new seals. Why all this work was done instead of just ordering two new complete axle setup's beats me but it is what I'm left with.

I'm nervous about screwing up the measurements when placing my order, but besides that, what else do I need to take into consideration to ensure a correct fit If I'm just replacing the current axle with a bare axle and not a complete setup? Its all foreign to me..
__________________

__________________
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:43 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Navarre , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Since you want to stay with the 12" brakes, you will need to order an axle from Colin Hyde. Inland, I believe, only handles Dexter which won't make an axle for your trailer which has 12" brakes. No measurements are needed, only the decision on weight capacity. Unless you have the low profile brackets which will require enlarging the bolt holes.

Bill
Really? Half the posts on this forum is Andy from Inland telling everyone they need 12" brakes over 10", and their website has a 12" bare axle listed. Now when I spoke with a local Dexter dealer and told them what I was doing they said I'd need a #10 Torflex, rated at 3500 lbs. Do 12" brakes work on a #10?
__________________
Rsmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #4
Top
Always learning
 
Top's Avatar
 
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,779
Images: 24
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmied View Post
Really? Half the posts on this forum is Andy from Inland telling everyone they need 12" brakes over 10", and their website has a 12" bare axle listed. Now when I spoke with a local Dexter dealer and told them what I was doing they said I'd need a #10 Torflex, rated at 3500 lbs. Do 12" brakes work on a #10?
No, 12" brakes won't work on the #10 Dexter axle. The brake flange is different.

What you are looking for is a "derated" #11 (5200lb) axle. As Bill pointed out, Dexter won't do that. There are other axle manufacturers besides Dexter.

And if you want to read about the 10" vs. 12" brake debate, have fun!
__________________
Lance

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Navarre , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 35
Oh I've read it..several times. Great information and I appreciate the time you took to lay out such a detailed comparison!
__________________
Rsmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
 
clydecrashcu's Avatar
 
1984 31' Excella
Olsburg , Kansas
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 117
Are you willing to do the upgrade yourself. If the answer is yes, you can order your axles from a Red Neck Trailer supply company. I did that for my 1968 Tradewind dual axle. The person that helped me with the measurements was Luke Bernander of the Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Club. Luke lives in Fort Collins, CO and has replaced many at this shop and helped others order their replacement. I first met Luke at A RMVAC Rally. He is very knowledgeable and reliable for information about axle replacement. You can email him for questions. His email address is: airstreamInCO2gmail.com

Please message me if you have more questions. Luke's email address should be current
__________________
clydecrashcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:55 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 18
Contact Colin Hyde. He helped me with mine last year. I changed my '76 Sovereign from 12" to 10". I had them shipped to a local RV & Truck axle shop and they did the grunt work. It did not cost much.
__________________
plbalza54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
Sodbust's Avatar
 
1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 339
When I priced out axles for our Overlander,, the cost difference between a bare axle without brakes and hubs was not that much cheaper.. In my case I needed new brakes so it did not matter.. But in your case,, I would study the price careful and might be ahead to just set yours on a shelf and use it for parts later on.. Thats how I saw it anyway.

Sodbust
__________________
2012 Ram 1500 Tradesman Hemi, 4x4, 6 speed

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:13 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member
 
deccli's Avatar
 
1981 22' International
1967 17' Caravel
Cheyenne , Wyoming
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 15
Luke replaced our axle last year on the '67 Caravel. Everything turned out great. In fact we just took our trailer to him today to install a grey water tank.
__________________
deccli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:39 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Navarre , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Inland, I believe, only handles Dexter which won't make an axle for your trailer which has 12" brakes.

Bill
Told Inland I wanted to use my current 12" brakes and they quoted me "2 10609 Bare Axles - 3.5K $495.00 regular $455.00 sale $910.00 + 160 shipping." Didnt speak to Andy because he's on vacation but they told me there wouldn't be any issues.
__________________
Rsmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
wkerfoot's Avatar
 
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,667
I don't know if that is a Dexter or Axis or Inland part number. I would be concerned. Ask if they can send you a picture of the brake flange. Freight will get expensive if they are the wrong axles.

You might get a quote from Colin for bare axles. I purchased four bare axles last year, for $2,300 including freight to So Cal.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmied View Post
Told Inland I wanted to use my current 12" brakes and they quoted me "2 10609 Bare Axles - 3.5K $495.00 regular $455.00 sale $910.00 + 160 shipping." Didnt speak to Andy because he's on vacation but they told me there wouldn't be any issues.
__________________
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:37 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member
 
Salida , Colorado
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydecrashcu View Post
Are you willing to do the upgrade yourself. If the answer is yes, you can order your axles from a Red Neck Trailer supply company. I did that for my 1968 Tradewind dual axle. The person that helped me with the measurements was Luke Bernander of the Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Club. Luke lives in Fort Collins, CO and has replaced many at this shop and helped others order their replacement. I first met Luke at A RMVAC Rally. He is very knowledgeable and reliable for information about axle replacement. You can email him for questions. His email address is: airstreamInCO2gmail.com

Please message me if you have more questions. Luke's email address should be current
Howdy, I tried Luke's email, didn't work. I live in Colorado as well. Planning on replacing axles on my '75 overlander, looking for advice. I have account with Red Neck, just want to order the right ones.

Thanks
__________________
Moonhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
TG Twinkie's Avatar
 
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,140
Images: 2
Blog Entries: 5
I have heard if you take one of your axles to them. They will take all measurements and build you the axles you need.


Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
__________________
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,330
Blog Entries: 1
Give Colin info about your trailer, he has specs you do not need to measure or do any thing as they come strate bolt up with bolts and less costly than what was quoted to me for dexter. Some old AS do req. some mods who ever manuf. axles.
__________________

__________________
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An axle is an axle is an axle? Globie64 Axles 45 01-01-2012 02:25 PM
Newbie question. new Axle for a '62 tradewind harrison Axles 4 05-07-2011 06:54 AM
Is a bent axle a "dead" axle?? Jason1101 Axles 11 12-12-2007 05:40 AM
Single axle or double axle. Which is easier to tow? dottie dawglips Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 11 10-06-2007 11:37 PM
Good Axle/ Bad Axle blucloud Axles 2 05-23-2004 05:15 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.