Old 02-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
La Crescent , Minnesota
Axle Problem?

This morning when leaving Padre Island, Texas, I pulled my 2004 22' international over two wedges.They were on the right side between the wheels. When I arrived at our next destination later in the mourning I tried to back the unit. The rear tire on the right side became elavated and the unit could not be backed up. I pulled the trailer around the block and backed it in without any trouble.
Any thoughts on what is going on here would be appreciated.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjayjensen View Post
This morning when leaving Padre Island, Texas, I pulled my 2004 22' international over two wedges.They were on the right side between the wheels. When I arrived at our next destination later in the mourning I tried to back the unit. The rear tire on the right side became elavated and the unit could not be backed up. I pulled the trailer around the block and backed it in without any trouble.
Any thoughts on what is going on here would be appreciated.
Pull the right rear hub and drum.

Take a good look at every part.

That will answer your question.

Andy

Old 02-05-2010, 03:27 AM   #3
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Although not on an Airstream, I've had drum brakes hang up - i.e. stick. Note that if this were to happen on a trailing link suspension like a A.S., you'd get exactly the symptoms you describe. Perhaps this could also be caused by overly aggressive self-adjusters?

You can often "unstick" them by moving the vehicle in the other direction. My F250 does this when I use the parking brake when the drums are wet due to rain or boat launching...

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The brake on the front wheel on the right side became stuck as you backed up. You were most likely still had your foot on the brake as you started to back up and the brake did not retract as you released your foot from the brake. Sometimes this occurs because the retraction spring may be broken or weak. Do like Andy says and take the drum off that wheel and check it out.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

La Crescent , Minnesota
Thankyou!
Jay
Old 02-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It is the front tire that you want to look at.

With the front brake locked while you attempted to back up that tire would remain fixed to the ground and tend to force that spindle counterclockwise against the axle and downward as you backed up. This in turn would lift the rear wheel.

Odds are you may not SEE anything wrong when inspecting the mechanical parts. If thing pass inspection you want to correctly adjust the brakes when reassembling. If you see evidence of heat, blue color on the drum face or cracking on the face of the shoes, that brake was dragging while you were driving. Another thing to look at is the drum armature and the face of the magnet. If these are rough they may have stuck together when you stopped and not released before you backed up thus locking the brake.

While this is may not be related to your problem I mention this as a side thought. If when inspecting you find you have brakes with only a SINGLE return spring consider getting new assemblies. Those single return spring systems have a tendency to drag a shoe and overheat in normal use. Frequently requiring one to have to back up to release them. This is because a single spring system does not always return the rear shoe once you release the brakes causing the shoes to set off center. Under this condition once you start forward again the rear shoe is still in contact with the drum and against the anchor pin and drags.

HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:10 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

La Crescent , Minnesota
Looked at the affected drum yesterday morning. Had 4 new brakes installed yesterday afternoon. Off to Yucatan today.
Thanks again,
Jay
Old 02-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
What did you find?

HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjayjensen View Post
Looked at the affected drum yesterday morning. Had 4 new brakes installed yesterday afternoon. Off to Yucatan today.
Thanks again,
Jay
Did you find a RV service place willing to do it that quickly or have it done elsewhere? Just curious.

Ken