Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 195Pilot View Post
M2HB,
You do good work!!!

I have tried to stay within 1/32". Maybe Im a little anal.

When I opened up the belly pan some of the outriggers had broken from the main frame so long ago that it was difficult to determine were they mated to the frame rail. So some of this is guess.
Folks are having all kinds of problems with tires on AS, I can't help but wonder if they have more axle alignment problems than tire problems.
If you are keeping it within 1/32 you are doing great. A simple "X" measurement when you are done will confirm that it is square. I guarantee that your "new" trailer will tow better than it did the day that it left the factory.
I have it made with a trailer jig. I used to have it in a shop where there was an overhead hoist. Now it is on the side of my house. It sure makes alignment easy. Now I have to roll the frames over with a tractor. Not an easy way to do it, but it works. Besides, I don't build that many frames anymore.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Pierre , South Dakota
Yes I have measured X, centered, measured axle length from center of ball. I have just about wore out my slide rule, OOPs my calculator (I just about gave away my age). I was out cutting the C for the axles to fit into and the original frame rear axle cut outs were 1/8" longer on one side than the other from the front axle. Surely not all airstreams have such sloppy tolerance.
195Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Yes I have measured X, centered, measured axle length from center of ball. I have just about wore out my slide rule, OOPs my calculator (I just about gave away my age). I was out cutting the C for the axles to fit into and the original frame rear axle cut outs were 1/8" longer on one side than the other from the front axle. Surely not all airstreams have such sloppy tolerance.
From what I've read on this forum, many of the original AS frames are worse than your original frame. You can really be proud of yours when you are done.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Jack, I only worked on the Starship a little bit, but I do know a fair amount about the design basics and history. Mostly, I worked on King Airs. But, over the years, I was involved with the Baron/Bonanza, Hawker 987 (for a brief time) and some advance design/think-tank work. Besides engineering (about 60% of my career), I also worked in manufacturing, equipment testing, marketing, technical training and program management.

M2HB, Your Avion frame looks great! I'm looking at the length of the frame and it's pretty long for a pickup camper. What will you be putting on the front? I assume that you have some of the extra length as a long lever arm to reduce the ball weight. That trailer should tow like a champ with its long ball to axle distance! I'm impressed!
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Pierre , South Dakota
Steve,
We had a c-90 Baby King Air for a while and I have a little time in a King Air-200 . Flight Safety International on the -200.
The starship was just 20 years ahead of its time, but what do I know I think an ADF is high tech
Old 08-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
Jack, I only worked on the Starship a little bit, but I do know a fair amount about the design basics and history. Mostly, I worked on King Airs. But, over the years, I was involved with the Baron/Bonanza, Hawker 987 (for a brief time) and some advance design/think-tank work. Besides engineering (about 60% of my career), I also worked in manufacturing, equipment testing, marketing, technical training and program management.

M2HB, Your Avion frame looks great! I'm looking at the length of the frame and it's pretty long for a pickup camper. What will you be putting on the front? I assume that you have some of the extra length as a long lever arm to reduce the ball weight. That trailer should tow like a champ with its long ball to axle distance! I'm impressed!
Steve, thanks. The extra length is for storage and a quad which will ride under the cabover part of the camper. The extra length is also needed to make it tow properly. I don't like short coupled trailers. The camper hangs over the rear of the truck by about 3 feet so the overall length is about 19-1/2'. My wife gave me the option, buy a fairly new AS Bambi, or fix the Avion camper that has been sitting in my back yard for close to 30 years. I chose fixing the Avion because I can't take a Bambi very far off road. Besides, the Bambi only holds 23 gallons of water and 450# of items with a GVW of 4500#. My trailer combo will carry 72 gallons of water, 20 gallons of gasoline, 100# of propane and about 1500# over the wet weight of the rig with a GVW of 7000#. I also have a large propane stove that slides in and out under that front storage area.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Pierre , South Dakota
M2HB,
You are going to have a nice go anywhere camper!!

You can put a bike rack on the rear and not worry the whole thing will disintegrate going down the interstate. But the rest of us have a fear a pebble will hitch a ride in the trunk and rear end separation will destroy our AS.
Sounds like a good design.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
M2HB,
You are going to have a nice go anywhere camper!!

You can put a bike rack on the rear and not worry the whole thing will disintegrate going down the interstate. But the rest of us have a fear a pebble will hitch a ride in the trunk and rear end separation will destroy our AS.
Sounds like a good design.
Once you get yours back together, I don't think that you will have any towing or frame issues. I'm impressed with anyone who will go to the extent of a shell off restoration. It is the way to go, but it sure is a lot of work. I'm looking forward to seeing it as you progress through the restoration.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
It is not my intention to hi-jack this thread -- it's interesting for its topic on axles and frames -- but I can't help but wonder, Steve, if you worked on my BE-35H -- naw, you're probably too young! And Jack, even just the sound of a 985 or any other round engine starting, is music!
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
OilnH2o,
I don't want to hijack this thread either! But, the answer to your question is no. The BE-V35A/B were ushered out of production during my tenure, but nothing before. I started in 1976.

M2HB,
I figured you had plans for the front portion of the frame that included storage and ease of towing.
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Pierre , South Dakota
H2O,
The 195 has a Jacobs radial.Jacobs went bankrupt in 1946, although new parts are still available. 755 Jacobs/275 hp, 7 cylinder. Nickname SHAKEY JAKE for the way they start up, a couple of cylinders come on line (the top ones) Then a couple more(the side ones) Then the bottom ones come on board after they blow out and burn off the oil. Meanwhile on the outside the engine is shaking and belching white smoke. My Wife has a tee shirt that says "My Airplanes not leaking oil its marking its territory".