Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Philadelphia PA, and Takoma Park MD
Send a message via AIM to roadtrip07
Axle Newbie

Hi all,
I'm trying to figure out exactly how to approach axle replacement for my 63 Bambi. Like the title states, I am a total newb, so I'm just trying to gain a better understanding of the basics. The three sources that I've found most people get new axles from are Inland, Axis, and Dexter. I know Inland is the OEM distributor, and all their axles are made to fit the old models, but I just can't afford their more expensive pricing, as much as I'd like to. So, this means I have to do some measuring, and supplying of information to either Dexter or Axis about my new axle, and I really don't want to muck that up. Anyone else have any tips on this? What exactly do they need to know? My old axle has a 5 lug configuration, and I've read that the angle is 22.5 degrees, although I've heard some people say they request 32 degrees now. My axle had shocks attached to it, does that figure in somehow? Forgive me for not knowing what I'm sure is basic stuff. Thanks..
roadtrip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
if you have a 63 its probably a torsion axle, no shocks needed. I didn't want to take the risk of messing up the order - or installing wrong - we went with andy @ inland. the install was quite simple, which is what we were concerned about - i guess i could've gotten a cheaper axle but i didnt want to risk it.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Axel question

I did my 65 Caravel this spring. This is basiclly the same trailer.

I went with a Dexter Axel because that's was what the local truck parts store sold. (about $450) You can only buy a 22.5 degree axel from Dexter. I had the axel drop shipped right to the house. ($100 freight) This saved double handling it. The axel does not come with shock mounts you have to get them seperate and weld them on.

Or cut the old ones off. But, they are fillet welded on all 4 sides. So you would have to be able to scarf them off.

I don't think that you could stretch the shocks out long enough cover a bigger offset than 22.5. And the trailer would sit alot high than factory.

My trailer went from factory spec 19" to 17" with the new axel.

The axel specs are in this forum. The dexter shock mount numbers are also in here somewhere. If I have time I'll look and post later.

When you buy new shocks, they come with the top stud bolt and nuts. So if you break the threads off the old one, you can always grind it off and put a new stud in.

The axel is only held on by 4 bolts. You get new bolts with the axel. I ordered easy lube spindles but they also offer lifetime greaseless ones. You have to open up the angle mounting plate under the trailer a little because the square tube is a little larger. You can do this with a hack saw or portaband saw. You also have to drill a 3/4" hole or two.

Finding the specs in here the hardest part. Figure a full day to do it or a couple of hours across four days.

regards, Dave
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
PS. my trailer is at my dad's in norristown PA. is your bambi in philly?
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Rivet Shocks?

Here are the specs I have gathered for my '64 Bambi II: Dexter Number 10 Torflex (3000 lb.); outside bracket- 58"; hub face measurement- 73.5"; standard reverse bracket; 5 on 4.5 hubs.

What's this about shock mounts/shocks? I thought the duratorque axle took care of this?? I honestly have not been under it enough to remember any shocks?

Ben
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
If you have a 63 Bambi, it will need a new axle for sure, but don't use the measurements from someone else. A Bambi 11 is different then a Bambi.
I have done a dozen axles this year and I wouldn't do one unless I personally measured it. Most are on with 4 bolts, the hole size is 5/8" not 3/4". Some of the earlyier ones were welded on in 61. They all have shocks, but some people choose to let the new torsion axle go with out shocks, as that is what they are designed for.
I will be doing a 62, and 63 Bambi soon, but only after I check them both out.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
I did my 65 Caravel this spring. This is basiclly the same trailer.

I went with a Dexter Axel because that's was what the local truck parts store sold. (about $450) You can only buy a 22.5 degree axel from Dexter. I had the axel drop shipped right to the house. ($100 freight) This saved double handling it. The axel does not come with shock mounts you have to get them seperate and weld them on.

Or cut the old ones off. But, they are fillet welded on all 4 sides. So you would have to be able to scarf them off.

I don't think that you could stretch the shocks out long enough cover a bigger offset than 22.5. And the trailer would sit alot high than factory.

My trailer went from factory spec 19" to 17" with the new axel.

The axel specs are in this forum. The dexter shock mount numbers are also in here somewhere. If I have time I'll look and post later.

When you buy new shocks, they come with the top stud bolt and nuts. So if you break the threads off the old one, you can always grind it off and put a new stud in.

The axel is only held on by 4 bolts. You get new bolts with the axel. I ordered easy lube spindles but they also offer lifetime greaseless ones. You have to open up the angle mounting plate under the trailer a little because the square tube is a little larger. You can do this with a hack saw or portaband saw. You also have to drill a 3/4" hole or two.

Finding the specs in here the hardest part. Figure a full day to do it or a couple of hours across four days.

regards, Dave
Actually Dexter Torflex axles are available with six different angles on their order form (45, 22.5, 10 and 0 degrees down or 10 and 22.5 degrees up) an additional choice of 32 degrees down that does not appear on the order form is also available and is what I ordered.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
You can read these forums forever, but at some point you will have to call dexter. You may as well read their web site and call now! They have a very helpfull enginering dept, ph# 574-295-7888. Have the following measurements exact & ready. Distance between hub faces. Distance between outside of frame rails. They will help you through down angles & bracket height, ect. Expect to hear welding on shock mounts voids the warrentee but notice they do'nt say it should'nt be done! # 10 axle, 3500#s & less 10" brakes only. #11 axle 3500 #s & up with 12" brakes. Beam sizes are different, both can be had with 5 or 6 bolt pattern. As I recall mounting brackets need to be "reversed". They will fix you up right. Bore 4 holes and bolt it up. About a 2 beer job.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:03 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Philadelphia PA, and Takoma Park MD
Send a message via AIM to roadtrip07
hey thanks for the help so far guys, and, no unfortunately, my bambi is not in philly (where i go to college), it's in my hometown in MD
roadtrip07 is offline   Reply With Quote