Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2004, 03:31 AM   #1

Axle needed in Michigan

Does anyone know where I could have a Henschen axle installed in the detroit Michigan area?
jeffd5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
You can order the axle from inland, then almost any axle place should not have any trouble installing it - could have the axle shipped directly to your axle place.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Axle needed in Michigan

Greetings jeffd5000!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffd5000
Does anyone know where I could have a Henschen axle installed in the detroit Michigan area?
Another option is to cultivate a relationship with your closest "Vintage Friendly" Airstream dealer - - I have found this especially important if you are not a do-it-yourselfer. I am not a do-it-yourselfer, and had my Minuet's axle replaced by my regular Airstream dealer who is quite Vintage friendly - - and the same dealer will be replacing both axles on my Overlander in the not too distant future (I am waiting until I can afford the axles with the disc brake upgrade package). Airstream lists three dealers in Michigan, and in all probability at least one may be Vintage friendly - - a phone call, or better yet a personal visit, will usually identify whether the service department is willing to tackle Vintage coach repairs. You can find a list of Airstream dealers in Michigan at:

Michigan Airstream Dealers

One caution that I might offer should you decide to have an independent shop perform this work is to see if the selected shop would take responsibility for ordering the axle. There has been at least one report this year of problems with shipping damage to an axle (the damage wasn't immediately apparent), and the resulting caution was that the axle should be carefully inspected prior to signing the driver's release form - - my theory being that if the shop is taking responsibility then they will be much more likely to CAREFULLY inspect the shipment. The thread that I am referring to has a post from Gunnyusmc regarding axles damaged in shipment - - this thread can be found at: Need New Axles

Good luck with your axle replacement!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Also, keep in mind that the Dexter plant is just over the border in Indiana, a scant 3.5 hr drive from you. I don't recommend the Detroit based AS dealer, they seem to be a little clueless. However, the guys in Grand Rapids seem to be pretty competant with Vintage. If you are going to Ft Wayne, PM me and I'll need to fill you in on how that dealer is.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Dexter does make an axle that will proper fit a Bambi, nor do they make one with the proper rating.

Dexter has three ratings, that's it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 06:11 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

acoording to my Dexter axle cataloguethey make axles to fit most anything, from 600-1100 pounds, 1,000-2,000,2300-3500,4,000-6,000,5,000-7,000, 5500-7000
7200, 8,000. so there are more than the three sizes. I spoke with a salesman at dexter. He said they have done many airstream replacement axels.. so all you need to give them are the specs. load range.. distance from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface, and the location of the bolts to where it attaches to the unit. They sent me a full catalogue showing all their available axle configurations and each axel is custom built for you..many types of brakes available.
I am no way affiliated with Dexter axles. I just live in Indiana and I can not see paying freight cost from the left coast. when I can make a road trip to Elkhart. Do not mean to step on anyones toes.. just want everyone to be informed. Eric
Ericjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 06:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Henschen axles are shipped from Ohio, not the left or west coast.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:16 PM   #8
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericjeeper
acoording to my Dexter axle catalogue they make axles to fit most anything
And you will find the brake parts IN STOCK at NAPA stores. But how do the axle prices compare? I could get to Elkhart just as easy as the AS factory.

Thanks,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:05 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
And you will find the brake parts IN STOCK at NAPA stores. But how do the axle prices compare? I could get to Elkhart just as easy as the AS factory.

Thanks,

Steve
Dexter is cheaper, by quite a bit, but you will find that you will have to make some modifications to your trailer, and to the axle, to make them fit. Henschen is a direct-fit replacement for what came on most Airstream products, so there is much less cursing and gnashing of teeth installing them.
There are several threads on Dexter axles here. You just need to weigh the plusses and minusses, and see if you would rather bolt-on, for more money, or "make it fit" for less money.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
JeffD,

If you are willing to try a Dexter axle, there are a dozen distributors in Michigan, at least two in the Detroit area. So you don't need to drive to Elkhart.

I think you can avoid the 'installation' problems if you take careful measurements. Or better yet, let the Dexter distributor do all the work. You can find a list of distributors on their web site.
http://www.dexteraxle.com/

Here's a distributor/installer near you: http://www.ajaxtrailers.com/index2.html

I know that others have switched to Dexter axles. I have a Dexter myself, but mine is a leaf spring axle. Dexter is a much larger firm than Henschen, if that makes a difference.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote