Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Seems like there are 3 magic phrases in the forums: 1. 10" inch brakes 2.sway control and 3. your axles are shot.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #22

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Seems like there are 3 magic phrases in the forums: 1. 10" inch brakes 2.sway control and 3. your axles are shot.
Don't forget "you can't tow with that!"

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #23
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I am going to make a bold statement... I 110% agree with Andy. Show me any math you want, State anything you want. Justify it if you must, but 12" is the only way to go(unless you own a caravel or similar model that came with 10") I will not put anything but 12" brakes on in my shop(unless you own a caravel or similar model that came with 10"). Do as YOU see fit, but not me...
Then again, what do I know? I do it for a living not a hobby.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I'm not arguing 12" brakes have more stopping power. I will even go as far as if I replace my axles again and my budget can afford it I will go with 12" brakes. I would also agree 12" brakes are the only choice for bigger and heavier units.

But, 10" Dexter brake pads are wider than 12" Dexters brake pads. Not saying they are equal, but this is a plus factor. I replaced my OEM axles with Dexters in 2008 and guess I have 20 to 25K on them, mostly mountains and all out west. I adjust and check my brakes every season. When I checked last year I still had about 50 percent of the brake pads left.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I'm not arguing 12" brakes have more stopping power. I will even go as far as if I replace my axles again and my budget can afford it I will go with 12" brakes. I would also agree 12" brakes are the only choice for bigger and heavier units.

But, 10" Dexter brake pads are wider than 12" Dexters brake pads. Not saying they are equal, but this is a plus factor. I replaced my OEM axles with Dexters in 2008 and guess I have 20 to 25K on them, mostly mountains and all out west. I adjust and check my brakes every season. When I checked last year I still had about 50 percent of the brake pads left.
It is very well known however, that 10 inch brakes will heat up faster than the 12 inch brakes, and as they do, they fade, pure and simply.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Walker , Michigan
So.......No one has accurate axle measurements????????????
SomthngShiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It is not difficult to measure the axle. All torsion axles have a mounting plate that is used to attach the axle to the frame of the trailer. The axle plates are positioned inside the frame plates. So if you hook a tape measure to the outside of the street side axle plate and then measure to the outside of the curb side mounting plate. It will give you the dimension you need.
Then measure the face to face dimension between the brake drum surfaces. With the tire removed.
I have a '74 Argosy 26'. Perhaps the measurements are the same. I can post them if you like and you can compare measurements. Let me know.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomthngShiny View Post
All someone needs is the trailer serial, "IF" they have the original specs, that permits them to order axles for you.

If you want to tackle the job yourself, then the best thing to do, is make the measurements from your trailer.

There are specs that must be provided, that assures proper fitting axles.

Andy
Old 02-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #29
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
It is not difficult to measure the axle. All torsion axles have a mounting plate that is used to attach the axle to the frame of the trailer. The axle plates are positioned inside the frame plates. So if you hook a tape measure to the outside of the street side axle plate and then measure to the outside of the curb side mounting plate. It will give you the dimension you need.
Then measure the face to face dimension between the brake drum surfaces. With the tire removed.
I have a '74 Argosy 26'. Perhaps the measurements are the same. I can post them if you like and you can compare measurements. Let me know.
whoa, I think there was a typo there... The measurements are inside axle mounting plate to inside axle mounting plate. Hooking to the outside and measuring to the outside will add just shy of 1/2" to the measurement. The other measurement is hub face to hub face. I have this sketch I was confirming with a customer that might help understand.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9270117.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	177885
Very few of you have those same measurements so don't rely on that drawing. It is for example purposes only.
Some other very important and key things to know when ordering (pay attention, this is important and NOT something most will know when ordering. Also a good reason for using someone with experience)... You need reverse brackets. All other brands have brackets going opposite those on an Airstream. You need NO WELD ON THE OUTSIDE. The weld will cause you to have to cut away part of the axle mounting plate. You need low profile or high profile depending on your unit. You need EVERY ASPECT to be correct or you bought some expensive door stops.
Can Ordinary Joe do this. For sure! Will it save you anything. Not really. Everyone has to eat including the local Dexter dealer.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
No typo. Since the plates on the axles mount inside the plates on the trailer. If you measure outside to outside on the plates that are on the axles. It will be very close to the inside to inside measurements on the plates that are on the trailer.
It is easier to measure outside to outside than inside to inside.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #31
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Each plate is 3/16" How is that close? 2x 3/16= 3/8 too wide.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Forget about the "axle mounting plates, that are welded to the outside of the chassis.

Measure the frame width, or the complete width of the chassis including the axle mounting plates BUT, subtract the thickness of the axle mounting plates.

It is some what rare, that an individual will get the correct axle from their individual measurements. Then the fun begins.

Be supportive of those that are supportive of you.

That's the best way in the world to receive a correct specialty product that has to be created for you.

Andy
Old 02-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I guess you are just not getting what I am saying.
Do you agree that the plates that are attached to the axle that you put the bolts thru to mount it to the trailer, fit between the mounting plates that are welded onto the trailer frame?
Do you also agree that the plates that are attached to the axle must fit in between the mounting plates that are welded to the trailer frame?
If so, there is not 3/8" difference. Since the dimensions measured between the OUTSIDE of the plate that is welded to the axle on the curb side and the OUTSIDE of the plate that is welded to the axle on the street side must fit between the 2 mounting plates that are welded to the trailer frame.
All I am saying is. It's easier to hook the end of the tape measure to the OUTSIDE edge of the curb side plate ON THE AXLE, then stretch it across the axle to the OUTSIDE edge of the opposite plate ON THE AXLE . Pull the tape tight and take the measurement from OUTSIDE TO OUTSIDE on the axle.
Since the 2 plates on the axle must fit between the INSIDE of the 2 plates that are welded to the trailer frame in order to bolt the axle in place. The OUTSIDE measurement is as accurate as any measurement can be.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #34
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Good luck everyone. I am out of this discussion.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #35
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I guess you are just not getting what I am saying.
Do you agree that the plates that are attached to the axle that you put the bolts thru to mount it to the trailer, fit between the mounting plates that are welded onto the trailer frame?
Do you also agree that the plates that are attached to the axle must fit in between the mounting plates that are welded to the trailer frame?
If so, there is not 3/8" difference. Since the dimensions measured between the OUTSIDE of the plate that is welded to the axle on the curb side and the OUTSIDE of the plate that is welded to the axle on the street side must fit between the 2 mounting plates that are welded to the trailer frame.
All I am saying is. It's easier to hook the end of the tape measure to the OUTSIDE edge of the curb side plate ON THE AXLE, then stretch it across the axle to the OUTSIDE edge of the opposite plate ON THE AXLE . Pull the tape tight and take the measurement from OUTSIDE TO OUTSIDE on the axle.
Since the 2 plates on the axle must fit between the INSIDE of the 2 plates that are welded to the trailer frame in order to bolt the axle in place. The OUTSIDE measurement is as accurate as any measurement can be.
Outside to outside dimensions of the axle mounting plates, is NEVER a good idea, or a thing to do.

Why ??

Because all to often, those plates have warped, which will give false dimensions.

Frames rarely warp, axle mounting plates, especially those of 30 to 40 years ago, very often do.

Andy
Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I give up. Someone always has a way to make things sound more complicated than they really are.
Good Luck!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
I give up. Someone always has a way to make things sound more complicated than they really are.
Good Luck!
Moe-The glass is half full
Larry- The glass is half empty
Lumatic- Hey, I ordered a cheeseburger
Old 02-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
It's interesting to note, that when the dealer or seller is always wrong, the owner is always right.

Simple measurements, without any additions or subtractions, always gerts the job done, to the complete satisfaction of the buyer.

Most owners are only familiar with their coach, but a dealer has to become sharp on the stick, with hundreds of coaches.

Therein is the real issue.

Keep things as simple as they can.

You know the old "KISS" principal.

Andy
Old 02-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #39
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomthngShiny View Post
Since the person that would know off the top of his head has chosen to give you a runaround:
1976 Airstream Sovereign 31'
dry weight: 5065#
dry tongue weight: 490#
original axle weight rating: 3200# each
mounting bracket overall width: 61 3/8"
original starting angle: 22.5*
Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #40
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Courtesy is contagious.

Andy