Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Axle Measurement Data Base

Hi all;

We are now on our 4th Airstream - not sure if the 99 Excella counts but what the heck.

The key restoration element we have learned is AXLE makes you sound (of course along with a sturdy frame and matching and balanced running gear) But it all starts with the Axle.

Over the past four years the next big observation is that there is not a general Airstreamer Data Base for Axles.

There of course is Andy and the OEM's Henchiens opps how do you spell that.

And there are dexters supplied by all sorts of people in the RV and Vehicle trades - or just the Axle Trade period.

And then came along Axis who also make Axles.

But there is only one data base available and we know where that is and that it is not going to be public. To the new people here that buy their diamond in the rough that they have just found and dragged out of a field of 40 years of nature how can we find this information more efficiently.

So we all start the same process - what is it again we are looking for - degrees what did you say, measure where from what.....and for those who get the measureing tape a little cocked end up with a pretty good shock - and I am not talking about the infamouse Airstream Shocks and their shock mounting plates either - I'm talking the commerce shock.

So How about it folks - we have an inspector thread, we have the ability to create surveys - the database of pictures and people in this forum is invaluable - it is PUBLIC and it is FREE!

I can offer up 3 measurements. But I need help from someone so that we can be consistent in what we are measuring how and from where.
I can offer up:
1999 Excella 28' 1000
1969 Globe Trotter 21' (but not for long as she is sold)
1961 Overlander 26' (Leaf Spring System)

But what I am looking for which it would have been great to go to a database to look up is the 1963 Globe Trotter 19'.

Then I could order my axle from whom ever I choose - pick it up arrive at the location and change out the axle along with the wheels and tires.

I listened to the nightmare on the VAP with having some real issues with picking up older trailers and I just don't want to go there. Renting a Flat bed and the hassles of taking it out of the "Country" is more complicated than purchasing an axle and installing it before we come home.

So one - can anyone help me with the measurement for the 63 Globe Trotter and two....

Lets start a Forums Axle Data Base

05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Excellent Notion

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'll give the measurements off my '77 Excella 500.

They "should" group into families. It'd be interesting to see how they actually do.

I think I already measured mine and have them in AutoCAD somewhere. Anyway, if you start a database, I'll contribute what I can.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Rogue River , Oregon
I am a few weeks or more from pulling out the axles on my 1970 31'. I would be glad to supply any numbers that would help. I have not really looked that close at them but at that age it's a sure thing I will need them. Thanks for the good idea. Dave
geezernbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I have a thought and may be it does not involve reinventing anything. This site contains the AIRSTREAM TRAILER FORUMs and subforums by model. If we wanted we could put data in the sub-forum as we got it by model and it would be there for all to see.

So not only would axle data be there we could put all kinds of data there too.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharon,

What a splendid idea!!!!!

Hats off to you girl!!!

Regards,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
afton , Virginia
Fantastic! We are also about 1 month away from replacing axles on our 74 26' Argosy. Just need to know specific specs for measurements.
alumibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
....What a splendid idea!!!!!....
Thanks Henry - you women rule right.....but we do need your help though

Actions idea of using the trailer forums is a good one - but what we need is a consistent form so that each of us could post the measurement in the same manner - and what are the measurements.

I have the order form from Axis but I don't know if that is what we need.

I know too that say my 63's axle could be very different to anothers.

Thus what about just the frame measurements of where the axle would be mounted?

There are also options that people have as their own preference that you would not want muddying the waters - so we would have to look at the basic replacement - and then state all the extras after - like people who bump up the angle degree and the weight and the type of mounting hardware such as nickle, galvinized powder coating and the list I am sure is long. As well the brakes, hubs, drums they would all come into play.

But if each year and model had the basic listing to start from then that would be perfect.

By using the trailer forum - that would mean there would be a thread started in each section - and then people would start chatting in each of the threads like we do already and it would end up being so bulky - unlike people submitting to one thread and someone charting the information on a spread sheet and then offer is as a pdf link being updated monthly or something - somewhat like the Inspectors document. I would offer to help somehow.

Hopefully the fellow will be able to measure for us in the right place - or we may have to travel on the Sat do our own measurements put the order in and hope we can get a quick turn around from Axis. In the meantime I have to do some research here to find out if someone has in their possesion a 63 Globe Trotter with the Douro Torque axle installed.

Henry there is a nice 55 hanging out in the mud in South California on e-bay right now - Whale Tale!!!!! not in bad shape for a 55 sitting in the mud for 20 years.....or was that you who snapped up that little 65 for a buy it now of $2500.00 down in Cape Cod?

Wathca doing with yourself?

To all you other fellows hang in there - soon we will figure out what route to take and then we will do a call for input....toss in any ideas on how to administer this...as you think of them
Old 01-30-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Thanks Henry - you women rule right.....but we do need your help though
Sorry Henry you just got me so excited with your compliment...I meant You Know Women Rule Right?

I don't want anyone to think that you might be a Henrietta so when I read my post again later I had to laugh - spelling is always bad but missed words sometimes can make for a real spoof.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:07 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
I'm hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Sorry Henry you just got me so excited with your compliment...I meant You Know Women Rule Right?

I don't want anyone to think that you might be a Henrietta so when I read my post again later I had to laugh - spelling is always bad but missed words sometimes can make for a real spoof.
Sharon,

Lets see if I’m getting this right - first I was an Axle Fairy and now a possible Henrietta . Are you trying to tell me something???????? Just kidding. Let me set the record straight – Sharon Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, of all of the customers that I met supplying Airstream replacement axles at Axis Products, you were truly one of my favorites (perhaps I’m not supposed to have favorites – oop’s) and I like you. You always shoot from the hip and I never had to guess what was on your mind. I stay up with your posts here on the forums and I think others would agree – you say what you think. This is a cool characteristic – to me.

Again seriously – I will help you with your (the) axle database however I can. I applaud the idea and your efforts for starting such a thing. Simply let me know what you need!

Again seriously (perhaps) WOMEN RULE!!!!!! Hopefully this will help dissipate the Axle Fairy and Henrietta myths that seem to be floating about.

You and Peter are top shelf in my book – let me know how to help!!

Best Regards,
Henry
Old 02-01-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Henry my dear fellow - you will probably be surprised but I am

....speachles....
Old 02-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
What????

Sharon,

I can't believe speachless!

How is this Database progressing?

Please inform,
Henry
Old 02-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Well ahh I got busy playing in the boys yard

But I guess I better get my "secretarial" duties back on.

I think the best way - is just to keep this thread going - when and if anyone changes out their axle - and if they are not changing from the original set up they can post it here - I could keep tabs on it and make up some sort of spread sheet. And post what I have at the end of each month.

By the time I am ready to retire - we might just have a sizeable data base..
What do you think?
Old 02-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Merritt Island , Florida
Great idea! I will be replacing my 62 Bambi axle soon, will submit measurments.
C Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Merritt Island , Florida
My exact Dexter order for 62 Bambi:
#10 torsion axle, down-rated to 2800#
Straight beam (with standard toe and camber bends)
74" Hub-face to Hub-face
58" Outside Frame width
Reverse orientation
Side mount hangars
25 deg. down
Electric brakes
10" hubs (5 lugs on 4 and 1/2 centers)
C Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I know that this thread is over four years old. However, I am researching information on replacement axles and I do think that a data base is a good idea.

My 1991 34' Limited has a measurement of 61.5" from outside to outside of frame (axles seem to be the same as best as I can tell (they fit flush to the frame extensions/reinforcements). The frame at the front of the trailer is 61.25". Note, all measurements were taken alongside a cross member so that there would be a constant length spacer between the parallel frame rails.

I'm also wondering why I couldn't install axles with a high profile mounting bracket along with the more standard 22.5 degree downward starting angle rather than go to 32 degree downward starting angle with the low profile hangers.

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
I know that this thread is over four years old. However, I am researching information on replacement axles and I do think that a data base is a good idea.

My 1991 34' Limited has a measurement of 61.5" from outside to outside of frame (axles seem to be the same as best as I can tell (they fit flush to the frame extensions/reinforcements). The frame at the front of the trailer is 61.25". Note, all measurements were taken alongside a cross member so that there would be a constant length spacer between the parallel frame rails.

I'm also wondering why I couldn't install axles with a high profile mounting bracket along with the more standard 22.5 degree downward starting angle rather than go to 32 degree downward starting angle with the low profile hangers.

Steve
I'm not that familiar with the AS mounting, but I would want my rubber torsion axles in the 22-24 degree downward angle with no load. By the time you put the load on them they should be close to the level position which gives the torsion arms the most leverage. I can understand why you want that angle. I just changed the angle on my last trailer, that has Flexiride axles. It took me about 30 minutes to change both wheels. I ordered them with 24 degrees down and they came level. I changed them on the trailer and all it takes is removing one large bolt, sliding the arm off of the splines and moving them down 4 splines and replacing the one bolt. It is too bad that all the axle manufacturers don't have that versatility. If the manufacturer had messed up my order on my axle with another brand, I would have had a real issue.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , United States
61.375" to be exact. Your axles already have a high profile bracket, the 2 brackets available, one is right on top of the axle beam, the second is 1" above.
Your trailer also has the larger opening for the axle tube so you can easily use a Dexter #11 beam, that'll get you 12" brake flanges. 32° will give you quite a bit of lift, you may consider upping the weight rating as you have a triple axle.

Greg
Old 09-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
M2HB,
I appreciate your feedback. I've done a little research into Flexride and looked at this brochure on line http://www.ucfamerica.com/FlexirideT...et%2011x17.pdf. It looks like their design is to have the rubber vulcanized/bonded to the cylindrical axle shaft.. I'm wondering about the durability of this if the axle were to shear away from the rubber. I like the splined torsion arm installation. Who sells these axles?

Greg,
Thanks so much for the width information. An axle width of 61 3/8" gives a nominal 1/8 inch clearance that will snug right up when the bolts are tightened to the right torque value.

I've considered the Dexter Torflex #11 with new self-adjusting brakes, 3,500 pound rating, 32 degree starting angle (although Dexter doesn't show anything other than 22.5 and 45 down in their catalog) and now high profile (thanks to your information) reverse orientation mounts. My openings are a little over 11 inches wide and the hole centers are 9 inches... which I could adjust for the Dexters. One thing that I don't know about is the hub face to hub face width of my stock 2,800 pound axles.

I'm also open to the Axis/Al-Ko/Henchen axles. I'm looking for durability and value at the end of the day.

All my best,

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
M2HB,
I appreciate your feedback. I've done a little research into Flexride and looked at this brochure on line http://www.ucfamerica.com/FlexirideT...et%2011x17.pdf. It looks like their design is to have the rubber vulcanized/bonded to the cylindrical axle shaft.. I'm wondering about the durability of this if the axle were to shear away from the rubber. I like the splined torsion arm installation. Who sells these axles?

Greg,
Thanks so much for the width information. An axle width of 61 3/8" gives a nominal 1/8 inch clearance that will snug right up when the bolts are tightened to the right torque value.

I've considered the Dexter Torflex #11 with new self-adjusting brakes, 3,500 pound rating, 32 degree starting angle (although Dexter doesn't show anything other than 22.5 and 45 down in their catalog) and now high profile (thanks to your information) reverse orientation mounts. My openings are a little over 11 inches wide and the hole centers are 9 inches... which I could adjust for the Dexters. One thing that I don't know about is the hub face to hub face width of my stock 2,800 pound axles.

I'm also open to the Axis/Al-Ko/Henchen axles. I'm looking for durability and value at the end of the day.

All my best,

Steve
I don't think that the Flexiride would be the best choice for an AS trailer since the torsion arm is only 4-1/2" long instead of around 6", and the mounts are not the same. They are what I use when building a new trailer and I have my choice of where to mount the axles. I think that all rubber torsion axles should have removable (adjustable) torsion arms, but I also think that they should have an inner square tube sleeve that slides into the square axle tube so that the rubber can be changed easily instead of throwing away perfectly good axles every 20 years or so.

Another thing to remember is that tandem torsion axles don't have the equalizer that leaf spring axles have, which means that one axle has to take more of it's share of the load sometimes. That is why some manufacturers use a 1.25 ratio for axle ratings. An example would be that an 8,000# rated trailer would not have two 4,000# axles. They would have two 5,000# axles because each axle has to take more than 4,000# for moments when the trailer is going over large bumps or over steep terrain such as steep entrances.

By the way, Dexter makes some really good axles. I have used them in the past.

I have also used Hayes, which is now AL-KO, if I'm not mistaken.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:12 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
Abolutely splendid idea. I know when I took mine over for a lookysee they measured hub face and outside to outside of the side mount brackets and overall length of the axle.

Best I can measure on a 71 Sovereign the bolt holes are 9.300" C-C. I am getting ready to mount flat stock in my mill and drill 5/8" holes 9.300" C-C and then I am going to trace out the factory punch out on the axle mounting plate.

I was told by a Dexter dealer the heavier axles have a larger diameter cross member and that a side grinder will be required to open the frame enough for the heavier axle to slide up in. Close examination has revealed the axle tube does not contact the mounting plate and that the load is carried on the to of the right angle plate and secured by the side bolts.

Once I get one side of the frame done to fit I will mill out the plate to fit the new axle and then just take that and mount in other three holes and with a metal scribe mark the mounting plates in the other three locations to make that go quicker making sure to make sure the top of the cuts are well radiused to avoid any stress risers.

Once I get that made I will make up a drawing and post it so others can make their own templates for the Sovereign series at least.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote