Old 08-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
, , Minnesota
Im trying to figure out my tonge weight and do not know how. My first weigh with truck and trailer was 2860 steer axle 3800 drive axle and 3720 trailer axle. My second weight with no trailer was 3130 steer axle, 2980 drive axle. Is there some sort of an equation to figure out tonge weight? Thanks for the help!

Old 08-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963tradewin View Post
Im trying to figure out my tonge weight and do not know how. My first weigh with truck and trailer was 2860 steer axle 3800 drive axle and 3720 trailer axle. My second weight with no trailer was 3130 steer axle, 2980 drive axle. Is there some sort of an equation to figure out tonge weight? Thanks for the help!
No formula that would be reliable.

You will have to actually measure the tongue weight, but you have about 600 pounds, more or less. You can add the weights, in each case, and then subtract the no trailer weight, from the trailer connected weight. 6110 from 6660 = 550 pounds. That gives you a ball park.

I might add, that I hope your using a load equalizing hitch, when your hauling the trailer. Your carrying far more weight on the rear end than you should, and not enough on the front end.

Andy

Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It does not appear that you are using a WD hitch because of the amount of weight you are removing from the front axle when hitched. If you are using a WD hitch it needs to be set up to provide the intended results, added weight on the front axle.

Another question, when hitched is the trailer sitting parallel to the ground. This is important as an Airstream does not have an equalizing system in the spring system as most trailer do. The result is if the tongue is high you will have a heavier tongue weight and conversely if the tongue is low you will have a lighter tongue weight. This statement holds for double and triple axle trailer. Single axle trailer this is not a consideration just a point of aesthetics.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
, , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
It does not appear that you are using a WD hitch because of the amount of weight you are removing from the front axle when hitched. If you are using a WD hitch it needs to be set up to provide the intended results, added weight on the front axle.

Another question, when hitched is the trailer sitting parallel to the ground. This is important as an Airstream does not have an equalizing system in the spring system as most trailer do. The result is if the tongue is high you will have a heavier tongue weight and conversely if the tongue is low you will have a lighter tongue weight. This statement holds for double and triple axle trailer. Single axle trailer this is not a consideration just a point of aesthetics.
This is without the equalizer hitch, I have a 800 TW equalizer will be here tomorrow from UPS. Hopefully this will work? I also have rock tamers mud flaps 50 lbs and the equalizer weighs 88 lbs also this weight is without the two aluminum 30 lb propane tanks filled. I just wanted to get a dry weight to see how much the axle was holding and a estimate on tonge weight. Last time I weighed her she was at 3640 vs 3720 yesterday, but that was without the front counter with furnace, stove and sink, U-couch and table. I did have some water in the tank and some camping supplies so I am assuming thats why the weight was so close. Right now on the truck I'm using a 4" drop so the front of the trailer is sitting lower then the back. I will have to figure that out tomorrow as the shank is adjustable on the equalizer. Hopefully tonge weight won't be over 800. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
What is your concern with tongue weight any way? As long as the dry tongue weight of the trailer is between 10 and 12% of the trailer weight you are in the ball park as far as unaided sway control would dictate.

You bigger concern is to get some weight on the front axle of the TV. Assumingly your new hitch will do that.

The fact that you are riding tongue low will reduce the tongue weight some as the rear of the trailer is hanging off the front axle. Try and get this the other way around. Better to be heavy on the tongue than light.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
, , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
What is your concern with tongue weight any way? As long as the dry tongue weight of the trailer is between 10 and 12% of the trailer weight you are in the ball park as far as unaided sway control would dictate.

You bigger concern is to get some weight on the front axle of the TV. Assumingly your new hitch will do that.

The fact that you are riding tongue low will reduce the tongue weight some as the rear of the trailer is hanging off the front axle. Try and get this the other way around. Better to be heavy on the tongue than light.
My receiver on my truck is rated to 800 tw and 8000 trailer weight with distribution hitch. I was worried that might rip off if I go over 800, also the equalizer is rated to 800. So if I have 550 to 600 est. as Andy is stating I should be at 750-800 (adding the mud flaps, full propane tanks and equalizer hitch) for TW when level or will I have more TW once the trailer is level?
Old 08-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Not sure the hitch rating takes into consideration the torque that the WD hitch will apply to the receiver. 800 lbs. tongue load seam very light to pull an Airstrean. I think I would look for a heftier receiver rather than skate along the edge.

They will crack.

Factory receiver on a 3/4 ton Suburban cracked in 4 places before I saw it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch crack3 s.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	108436  

Old 08-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
, , Minnesota
Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought she was only 415 tw from the factory in 1963. Anyhow I need to try and figure out what my tw will be now. Thanks for the help Howie.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #37
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought she was only 415 tw from the factory in 1963. Anyhow I need to try and figure out what my tw will be now. Thanks for the help Howie.
Your correct, but that's the weight off the production line.

Add to that, water, clothes, groceries, propane and just stuff, which partially adds to that weight, as it should.

Andy
Old 08-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
, , Minnesota
Andy-

So with the mudflaps 50 lbs the WD hitch 88 lbs and propane tanks 60 lbs when the trailer is level should be right around 800 TW? This is confusing stuff to me. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy-

So with the mudflaps 50 lbs the WD hitch 88 lbs and propane tanks 60 lbs when the trailer is level should be right around 800 TW? This is confusing stuff to me. Thanks for the help.
Your welcome, anytime.

Andy
Old 08-25-2010, 09:39 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread while reading up on axle replacement.

We recently purchased our AS and haven't even towed it home yet because I'm making a pad for it beside the garage. Now I know I'll take my compressor along when I pick her up.

Since our AS has been parked in a campground for the past six years, I expected to replace the tires. And the axles and brakes. But basically I never gave much thought to what kind of tires would be needed. So, this is very helpful information.

As far as load ratings go, I think you are safe if you don't exceed the rating by more than 10% or so on a consistent basis. I've been an engineer for about 40 years and I've never seen an engineered system that didn't have a factor of safety of less than 50% and as high as 150%. Economic considerations (cheapness) are the determining factor in the establishment of the safety factor utilized in a given system.

When you weigh your trailer and TV, the loads are static, sitting still. The load ratings of the tire and hitch are stated for that condition. However, when the vehicle is in motion, there is a constant transfer of loads between the tires on the trailer, the tires on the TV, the hitch connection, etc. That is called dynamic (in motion) loading. For example, when the rear tires of the TV cross over a bump, moving the hitch upward, the weight of the trailer is transferred to the trailer tires just at the time the hitch begins to move downward. That transfer of loading happens continuously as you drive down the road. The good news is that the factor of safety is normally applied to the dynamic (higher) load for the system, be it tires or hitch.

So, an 800 pound hitch of good quality should be expected to withstand all of the forces placed upon it while towing a trailer with a TW of approximately 800 pounds without failing. Anything significantly more than that and the safety factor is reduced and the likelihood of failure is increased.

Now, back to the tires, I noticed that at least two of the above posts indicated that LT tires are being used. Is there a significant difference in price or availability between LT and ST rated tires?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #41
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Lew,

Welcome to the Air Forums and congrats to your new bundle of joy.

To answer your tires Q's mosie on over to the Tire forum. You will have more there then you have time to read.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Thanks Action,

When I became a new father (many, many years ago) I read all of those projections for the cost of raising a child. Now my new bundle of joy didn't come with any of those projections, but .....well, if it is even half way as satisfying as raising children it will be worth every penny!!

Now I'm off to the tire forum, something I really thought would be simple....