Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Pittsford , New York
Axle for '63 Tradewind

Newbie here. I have a 1963 24' Tradewind (Serial #: 243T126 if that helps).

Would like to get new Axle, tires and Rims. Have read a ton of posts and I am more confused than ever.

Can anybody tell me what the model number for the Axel I would need and a good source for tire and rims. Phone numbers would be great so I could order.

Much thanks,

-Sig
sigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Sig,

Whether you do the work yourself, or have someone else do it, you should contact a few local shops that handle Dexter axles. Here is their list, there are a couple in Rochester.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/new_york

You should also have the trailer weighed with all it's current accountrements and luggage; you may want to upsize the axle rating, especially if you have or want to add A/C or a greywater tank.

Although I talk alot about Dexter axles, I have no connection to them. You could also contact Axis axles or Henchen, although you might end up paying more in freight than if you use a local distributor.

The Henschen axles are available from Inland RV in California. Axis is located in Indiana.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
the Dexter and Axis axles are very close in price. you do pay freight with Axis, so that's a consideration. As I understand the differences, the Axis mounting brackets are a closer fit (sometimes, maybe every time, no drilling required). The Dexter always requires drilling. But if you order a Dexter, they will install it as an extra cost option. The nice thing about that is if it doesn't fit, they order another one and you only pay for the one that fits.

I think Axis will make it right, too, but then there's the shipping....
Old 04-11-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I think if you order a Henschen axle, they will drop ship it to you from Ohio, so it doesn't need to go all the way to California and back.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I ordered Henschens through Inland, and drove to the factory in Ohio to pick them up, a couple of years ago. But I lived in Ohio at the time.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
You can order Henschens from the factory direct. All you need to do is tell them it's for a horse trailer, then give them the dimensions. They don't like it when you tell them you have an Airstream.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello sigv,

Im just going to weigh in the discussion a little .Happy "tradewinds".You have recieved good advice here . I would agree to take the airstream to a place there in your area and have your axle and shocks (very important) replaced.You can order wheels with the proper load rating and backspacing from andy at inland rv, he can set you up with the correct wheels.I think this way you could just get it done ,unless you want to do the install yourself. I would not be a happy camper if I recieved a new axle shipped to me and it was wrong, free shipping or not. Price is always an issue of importance so checking around is a good idea . It may be possible that inland andy can tell you which exact axle he may have in stock that would fit and you could order it ready to install .He may have all the dimensions already .I dont know if these trailers deviated much in frame widths and such in a given year say like, 62 to 64 trdwnds were the same.Andy would know .

Good luck ,

scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:51 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
The scoop!

Your unit came with a Henschen axle from the factory (most likely). Henschen now only sells to OEM's or Inland RV - thus the price is locked at $800.00 plus shipping.

Dexter axle is the largest custom axle manufacturer in the USA and can make a replacement for around $350 plus shipping. However you need to provide all of the measurement's and specifications as they are a "custom" shop. They did however, for a bit, produce axles for Airstream and still may on a limited basis.

Axis Products (also a custom shop) can provide a replacement for about the same money or a bit less.

Reliable Axle could also do the job as could Al-Ko Kober.

So how can the axle cost $800 from one supplier and $350 from all others, including the largest in the USA - simple - "Henschen has named Inland RV as the EXCLUSIVE distributor of Henschen axles for older Airstream trailers".

I worked for Axis prior to retireing about a year ago. I was "key" in the Airstream program at Axis. I do not know how the program has progressed since my retirement but it seems as though they may be slipping a bit - based off of posts on this forum and comments from old customers that I still chat with.

I would strongly recommend Dexter Axle for several reasons - parts availability, reduced shipping, local availability and product support. Just some trivia for you - Henschen axles use a lot of Dexter parts!

I hope this helps,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:06 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Pittsford , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Sig,

Whether you do the work yourself, or have someone else do it, you should contact a few local shops that handle Dexter axles. Here is their list, there are a couple in Rochester.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/new_york

You should also have the trailer weighed with all it's current accountrements and luggage; you may want to upsize the axle rating, especially if you have or want to add A/C or a greywater tank.

Although I talk alot about Dexter axles, I have no connection to them. You could also contact Axis axles or Henchen, although you might end up paying more in freight than if you use a local distributor.

The Henschen axles are available from Inland RV in California. Axis is located in Indiana.
THanks for the list. Amazingly Brads Trailer Supply was on the list and I already had an appointment there for something else on Friday! From the post I have seem, I think I am going to try to get them to put a Dexter Axle on it.

When you say 'bump the GVR' - do you have any suggestions as to what? I do want to add a grey water tank. The unit has an A/C on the roof.

Much thanks to all for the advice - I will let you know how it goes.

-Sig
sigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
I'd like to add that I called a local trailer shop, and was told that if I brought the old axle in they would send it to Dexter for an "exact" replacement. Pretty cool says I. Now I just need to figure out how to get it there!

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigv
When you say 'bump the GVR' - do you have any suggestions as to what? I do want to add a grey water tank. The unit has an A/C on the roof.
-Sig
No, I can't even guess. If at all possible, get thee to a Cat scale and weigh it. Either load it up with all the stuff you would take on a trip, or have a good idea of what all the clothing, fuel, water, beer, dog food, motorcycles and barbells would weigh.

The closer you can get to the actual axle weight (remember to subtract tongue weight), the better your axle will perform. Too light and your trailer will be bouncy, to heavy and it will ride stiff and harsh.

I wouldn't use the original listed weight as more than a very crude estimate. Some people travel with 1500# of added gear, some get by with just a few hundred pounds.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:57 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
But of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
I'd like to add that I called a local trailer shop, and was told that if I brought the old axle in they would send it to Dexter for an "exact" replacement. Pretty cool says I. Now I just need to figure out how to get it there!

John
Good point John - you can always provide a sample for an axle shop to clone!

Regards,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

I don't know how far you are from Plattsburgh, but GSM and Colin Hyde do excellent work and I think are dealers for Dexter and possibly Hayes brakes. chyde@primelink1.net

My guess would be that you need only the pieces and not the solid axle- unless you've had it tested and see stress crack evidence. There is a purple ink that shows the cracks that they test it with- check it out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he has a single axle his weight should be under 3500#? I have a late 50's TW and its 3200- or so it says.

I've had springs replaced as well- nice to do it all at once- parts for the axle, brakes, springs- and I left my old solid axle with just a test and a nice coat of flat black. Its been fine.
millionairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by millionairstream
. . . Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he has a single axle his weight should be under 3500#? I have a late 50's TW and its 3200- or so it says.
Mine said 3500#. Is your axle a Hadco?

I uprated to a 5200# axle and added one leaf to the springs. I intend to run around 4500# GVWR fully loaded, with added A/C, gray tank, and batteries.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:22 PM   #15
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Sig,

This thread is speaking to two different types of axles. A torsion axle that the spring is inside the axle. The spring is basically rubber. More complex than that but that is the idea. The other type is a leaf spring type. It has metal springs of flat metal on the outside on both sides of the trailer.

Since 1963 is close to the year that Airstream made the change from leaf to torsion, the question would be what type do you have?

If you are going to replace the springs or torsion axle, you may want to consider the total load as pointed out above. Get the trailer weighed. Also if you are adding a gray water tank, assume 8 pound a gallon for that load plus the tank and related piping. Then I would add 10% for the total weight for a safety margin.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-12-2006, 05:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Sig,

The side question I asked Millionairstream applies only to the determining the approximate weight of 1959-64 Tradewinds. He and I both have leaf spring axles.

I apologize for starting a side conversation.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
The axle would be a HADCO if it is the leaf spring type .If ther are no external springs then it is a henchen torsion axle .My 60 tradewind has brand new (not rebuilt) leaf springs and the Hadco axle .My local rv shop says its a 5200lb axle . my trdwnd is a single axle.I t weighs 3500lbs according to airstream weights and measures.Tongue is 310 lbs. I would go with the listed base curb weight as a baseline .Your present axle has to be more than 3500lbs ,thats the weight of the trailer. It appears that most everyone seemingly hasnt really given the leaf springs in there trailers alot of thought .New springs will raise the trailer up to where it was when new . springs also work harden or hardend? as they flex and after 40 years they will get weaker . Springs do break on occasion as well. Most any reputable spring shop can build new ones to exact specs . They can look up all the factory specifications .The trailer with tow and handle much better as well . I just have not read hardly any posts about springs or replacement or them ,Alot of worn out torsion axles though.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
If you "bump" up the weight rating on your axle (which I really can't understand why you'd want to), make sure your floor is 100% sound. Your trailer will rattle itself to death, if it isn't. This advice came from Colin, when we were at the CBR last weekend. Personally, I'm keeping the same rating on mine, when the time comes for a replacement.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1963 22' Flying Cloud
1963 24' Tradewind
, , Minnesota
I have a 63 tradewind manufacturers rating is 3500# with a 415# tongue weight
1963tradewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:39 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963tradewin
I have a 63 tradewind manufacturers rating is 3500# with a 415# tongue weight
A 1963 Tradewind is a 24 foot single axle Airstream trailer.

The axle rating is 5000 pounds, not 3500 pounds.

If the data plate on the axle says 3500 pounds, then someone changed out the axle and installed the wrong rating.

A 3500 pound axle would not begin to support the total weight of your trailer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote