Old 05-15-2004, 09:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Axle Fab

Wright Trailer in Seekonk RI put my new Axel on my 68 Caravel. After several back and forth phone calls with them and California they ultimately refused to bend the flange as much as would have been necessary. They were concerned that the shock wold not fit if they did bend it. Here was the solution. The holes in the mounting bracket also did not line up. I upgrade the size and that I am sure was the cause. If they drilled new holes the metal would have been to narrow under the bolts. I agreed to weld the axel on. Figure I will be long in the home by the time it needs replacing. This shop is experienced with the other brand rubber axel and was confident they could do this without damage. I really didn't understand his "how to". I am so glad I didn't try to do this myself in the driveway.
I rides great. Highly recommend new axels to anyone on the fence. However you want to check the details before starting the project yourself. While I was at times frustrated with my expects it all turned out OK. I'm sure I shot my warranty but I really like how the shocks line up and how it rides.
Taking the 59 to them for axle evaluation next month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axel.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	6608   Click image for larger version

Name:	axelfab.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	6609  

Old 05-15-2004, 01:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Great joy. Andy said it's OK.

Old 05-15-2004, 02:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychpw
Great joy. Andy said it's OK.
Glad it worked out for you..
Was this done before or after your trip?
Did you get the axle with the brakes, etc?
Sure wished there was a template available to double check things..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 04:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
This is the Caravel. I had ordered a new axel from Andy before I found the 59. Wife says no more. Would really like a sivler 310 MH with rear queen.
Got the fully loaded axels. The old hubs wouldn't fit anyway. Axel is larger diameter. The difference is super. The truck reacts more to the road than the trailer now.
I don't think post 68's have the same amount of clearance problem. Anyway Andy gave his blessing to the modification after the fact. Doesn't seem a backyard welder job. Don't I get a rivet for that
Old 03-12-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Wright Trailer in Seekonk RI put my new Axel on my 68 Caravel. After several back and forth phone calls with them and California they ultimately refused to bend the flange as much as would have been necessary. They were concerned that the shock wold not fit if they did bend it. Here was the solution. The holes in the mounting bracket also did not line up. I upgrade the size and that I am sure was the cause. If they drilled new holes the metal would have been to narrow under the bolts. I agreed to weld the axel on. Figure I will be long in the home by the time it needs replacing. This shop is experienced with the other brand rubber axel and was confident they could do this without damage. I really didn't understand his "how to". I am so glad I didn't try to do this myself in the driveway.
I rides great. Highly recommend new axels to anyone on the fence. However you want to check the details before starting the project yourself. While I was at times frustrated with my expects it all turned out OK. I'm sure I shot my warranty but I really like how the shocks line up and how it rides.
Taking the 59 to them for axle evaluation next month.
I am curious, What was the upgrade ? Weight rating ? It looks great ! Do you have any idea what the weight rating was on the old axle ?
Old 03-12-2005, 09:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
No idea. Called Andy at Inland and he sent me a new axel after much measuring. I think the new one is rated higher but I forget. Prehaps he can tell you. The trailer shop did a real nice job.