Old 02-29-2004, 03:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Axle consult

Should be picture below. What do you think? Anyone know a place in New England that does the work or is it a do it yourself.

Old 02-29-2004, 04:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
PS

PS I know all about getting them from Andy. Just looking for caution or encouragement about doing it myself. They really do look shot..

Old 02-29-2004, 06:35 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Post axel !

paul ....

can you tell us what we are are looking at......

thanks

paul
(newbe in florida)

Old 02-29-2004, 06:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
From the angle of the picture - it looks great.

However since we can't see the angle of the swing arm, we cannot tell if the rubber is shot.

Everyone I've ever talked to who did the replacement themselves says its not bad - just four bolts and shock + brake wires.

Ken
Old 02-29-2004, 08:21 PM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken J
From the angle of the picture - it looks great.

However since we can't see the angle of the swing arm, we cannot tell if the rubber is shot.

Everyone I've ever talked to who did the replacement themselves says its not bad - just four bolts and shock + brake wires.

Ken
I can attest to that from personal experience. Only took about three hours, even with my brother helping me...
If the swing arm is pointed up towards the wheel well, the axle is bad, if it is pointed down, it is still good.
Terry
Old 02-29-2004, 10:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I'll have to try again with the picture. Need to move the trailer to work on it anyway. The way I figure, it cann't hurt to change the axel, can hurt to not change it if needed or nearly so. Think I'll go for the whole setup as that has to be easier than changing parts around. Besides, done see any 56 around for sale so I'll move ahead on the 68.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
PSYCHPW

The axle condition is checked by the position of the torsion arm.

Go to our web site, inlandrv.com

Click on "articles" and then click on the "Dura-torque axle."

That article teaches you how to check the axles.

Andy
Old 03-01-2004, 10:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
You have a good point about replacing the axles - its not a bad idea - that way you have basically zero miles on the trailer. It gives you all new running gear, modern brakes, bearings etc.

Also a lot has been talked about the torsion angle, little about spindles breaking off - I've heard of several trailers that has happened to.

So to me, once a trailer is 25-35 years old, its not a bad plan to replace axles. Especially on a single axle trailer - it's not all that expensive - not to mention that single axles I think carry a rougher load than doubles

Ken J.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:33 PM   #9
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
I ordered new complete axles from Andy @ InlandRV last fall for our 26' Overlander. I really dreaded changing them out but the torsion arms were about dead level when unloaded. On happy Saturday Annie and I tackled the job. Once we figured out a system for lifting the new axles into place the job went off with out a hitch. Our rig is a 62 model so the original axles were all welded, plates and all. I drove camper onto a set of ramps until the rear tires lost contact with the ground. Pulled the wheels off, snipped the electric brakes, removed the nuts on the shock studs. blocked up the axle with three jacks (one under each drum and one with a three foot long channel welded to the lifting plate for the axle tube to sit in. Got the cutting torch out and cut the angle mounting plate where the axle tube was welded on both sides, then with some taps from a hammer lowered the old axle down until it cleared the trailer, then pulled it from under the trailer.

Next I fitted new shocks on the new axle and slid the new assembly under the trailer on furniture dollys. (make sure the axle is oriented right, I had to put it out and turn it around) We then put the jacks under the drums and the one in the center and started jacking the new axle up, adjusting one way or the other as it got closer to the slot where the old one came out. The new axles are so precision that if it is the slightest bit out of alignment, it's plates won't go to the inside of the original mounting brackets. Tapping at the ends of the new mounting plates one way or the other helped with the little movements needed to get it up into place, and it is a tight fit, I bet you could'nt get a piece of paper in the gap between the old bracket and the new one.

Once it was in place I finished hooking up the shock and tightening the nuts. I got my 1/2" drill out and drilled new holes in the original mounting bracket through the predrilled holes in the new axle bracket. Each side has three, the nuts and bolts were provided by Andy. Reinstalled the wheels.

Backed the trailer down, changed the ramps to the rear so the front wheels were free then repeated the whole process. After the front axle was on I reconnected the brake wires. Time for the whole process was 5 hours on the first axle - three on the second.

The difference was worth the sweat alone. Stuff riding in the rig stays in place, the trailer sits higher and the brakes are 100x better. I'm sorry I waited as long as I did.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 10:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Torgue Specs

Anyone know what the torque specs are for the axel and shock bolts?
Old 03-26-2004, 12:06 PM   #11
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Andy would be the best person to ask. I used an electric impact wrench and the lock washers were good and flat. If I had to guess I'd say 100ft/# on the axle mounting bolts, but the shocks don't need that much, probably 40-50ft/#, I used a lock nut on the shocks.

Paul.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 12:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Re: Torgue Specs

Quote:
Originally posted by psychpw
Anyone know what the torque specs are for the axel and shock bolts?
If you can provide the bolt sizes, I have access to a torque table. I will assume they are Grade 8 fasteners.

Tom