Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Axle Caution

According to Andy the axle failure on the road would probally cost a minimum of $7800.00.
That $7800.00 price tag does not take into consideration if you should damage someone elses vehicle or worse (flying wheel).
According to even the most expensive off season (at home) replacment I've seen on this forum is $1200.00 per axle.
Uninteruped outing, priceless.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
We have reported in the past, that the 1968 and older Caravels and Bambi's had very small spindles.

Because of that, they are "VERY" prone to failure due to fatigue.

Yesterday, we received a call from an owner in Georgia.

He stated " I went over a railroad track crossing towing my 66 Caravel at a moderate speed. I heard a bang. Then I heard a scraping noise. Something was stopping my tow vehicle and trailer. I got out to see what the problem was.

To my amazement, a tire fell off, but the trailer was almost level. Upon further inspection, the tire fell off on the other side as well.

Both spindles cracked in half, allowing both tires to fall off, at the same time. I knew about the warning, but I put it aside for now."

Accordingly, we are bringing this subject up again, as another caution for those owners.

The 655 spindle used on those models, was border line to start with.

They will fail.

When? Who knows.

We replace at least one of these axles, per week.

Andy

CORRECTION CORRECTION CORRECTION.

The above mentioned 655 spindle "IS NOT" the one that fails. That was listed in error.

The spindle size that "DOES" fail is 545U.

That spindle size was used on the Bambi and Caravel models prior to 1969.

They have a huge failure rate due to metal fatigue.

We apologize for any inconvenience the previous information may have caused.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #23
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
My shop just spoke to Dexter axle they are going to be at the Sarasota Rally next month and will inspect your axles at no cost.

The average cost is $4-500 for an axle.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:46 PM   #24
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
That's pretty nice of them. Is it a factory rep, or the local distributor that is going to the rally?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #25
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Factory rep

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
My shop just spoke to Dexter axle they are going to be at the Sarasota Rally next month and will inspect your axles at no cost.

The average cost is $4-500 for an axle.
Wow!!! Sounds like Customer Service at its best!

Regards,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #27

1961 24' Tradewind
1966 17' Caravel
Burlington , Vermont
Hey! Since I'm the guy who watched the wheels on his Caravel pass him after going over a railroad crossing in Georgia, I thought I'd provide an update on all the responses. Sorry to be so late but just got back to Vermont (where I live) after about 5000 miles on my new axle. I too had a new axle on my list and I'm embarrassed to say that it was about the only thing not replaced over the last ten years. Even procrastinated by polishing the whole thing. As Andy said both spindles broke and there was a bit of rockin and rollin until I got it over to the side of a very remote road in Georgia. Both wheels continued down the road another 50 yds or so. After a bit of head scratching and some help from some local folks a car carrier dragged in up onto the bed by the front hitch wheel and rear bumper and deposited me at a local junk yard/rv repair shop. I called my friend Steve Hingten at Vintage Trailer Supply and got the information on 3 possible sources of axles; Dexter, Inland RV for the original axles, and Axis which he had been hearing good things about. I called all three sources and decided to go with Axis becouse of the price difference (about half the price of Inland) and because I found the Axis contact, Colin Hyde, to be very helpful. It took 2 & 1/2 weeks for the axle to arrive in Georgia from Indiana and I used that time to seal the wheel wells, replace a few broken things, get new tires and vacation in Florida. The axle arrived ready to be bolted on and attach wheels. The only drilling was to slightly clean out the bolt holes with a 5/8" bit. From start of installation to drive away was about 3 hours. All the hardware was included with the exception of a lower shock mount pin. The old axle had one welded on. A trip to local hardware store took care of that. Needless to say that I drove away a very happy camper and after 5000 miles I can say it pulls and stops better than ever. Colin's company is located in Plattsburg, NY and it is where I plan to have the body work done. Colin@gsmvehicles.com I think. I regret the wheel well damage but I was on my way back to NOLA to work on Katrina so it was hard to feel to sorry for myself knowing what those folks have lost. Hope this helps. Barry from Vermont
micabarry is offline   Reply With Quote